Transfer thread: Rumours, Speculation & Suggestions

limpid

• Replies 10.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think everyone on this forum has lost it...the ongoing excitement about getting more and more strikers..........i'm not saying we might not need improvement in that area..but that is the least of our worries at the moment...spend the money on the mid field.........Right Back....maybe centre back.....how many stikers do u all need......we could have drogba as our striker now and we would be in the same predicament..are u all blind?????

I think everyone on this forum has lost it...the ongoing excitement about getting more and more strikers..........i'm not saying we might not need improvement in that area..but that is the least of our worries at the moment...spend the money on the mid field.........Right Back....maybe centre back.....how many stikers do u all need......we could have drogba as our striker now and we would be in the same predicament..are u all blind?????

Everyone? I think saying everyone has lost it and saying everyone is blind is a bit strange myself.

stop conceeding goals then we can start thinging about scoring a few

Really? Most people would say it's the other way around. We're not conceding many, but were not scoring ANY.

That said, where the feck is Luke Moore?

DDID i think you will find that the most successful teams historically were built on a solid back line before the attacking threats were added

its worked for over 100 years i see no reason to think toherwise now

newcastle tried to do it backwards and what did they win?

the difference is newcastles back line is crap, ours isn't

we don't concede many but we don't score any

so whats the point in bolstering a defence that doesn't concede to many goals, when the reason we aren't winning games is because we can't score any?

no-one is saying that our defence should'nt be improved in the summer, because it should, but our priority should be to balance the team out so we are scoring as well as not conceding

DDID i think you will find that the most successful teams historically were built on a solid back line before the attacking threats were added

its worked for over 100 years i see no reason to think toherwise now

newcastle tried to do it backwards and what did they win?

But when we're not conceding many goals, some would say we have a solid backline already. They struggle at set pieces, something they need to work out with the coaching staff.

The stats don't lie. Only 6 teams have conceded less goals than us this season, but only 5 have scored less.

Here

Aside from Luke Moore, possibly, who do we have to put the ball in the net on a regular basis? We also need more options in midfield.

no-one is saying that our defence should'nt be improved in the summer, because it should, but our priority should be to balance the team out so we are scoring as well as not conceding

Exactly Sam. Thank you.

well personally from what i have seen this season there are two reasons why we have conceeded few goals

1- tommy has been in great form - possibly his best since coming to villa

2 - the midfeild is doing far too much defensive work hiding the defences weaknesses

if the defence was better the midfeild could support the attack more

hence giving better service more chances and ultimately more goals

if you have watched any villa games this season you can clearly see this is the case

well personally from what i have seen this season there are two reasons why we have conceeded few goals

1- tommy has been in great form - possibly his best since coming to villa

2 - the midfeild is doing far too much defensive work hiding the defences weaknesses

if the defence was better the midfeild could support the attack more

hence giving better service more chances and ultimately more goals

if you have watched any villa games this season you can clearly see this is the case

Interesting analysis. I think the midfield does get dragged into defensive work more often than it should, but the main reason for that is they can't keep hold of the bloody ball. Even when we're winning games and/or playing well, it's never posession football. I think under the circumstances the defence has done remarkably well.

I'm not saying the defence can't be improved on, I think it should. I don't think we should be putting so much pressure on Cahill and I don't think Mellberg is half the player he once was.

But first and foremost we need a creative midfielder to compete with Petrov and a striker to finish what little we do create. IMO of course......

and i do respect your opinion DDID honestly!

just saying that traditionally top teams create a strong base before

starting on the attack which makes me think an experienced

centre half - maybe 2 - and a quality defensive mmidfeilder

and then you will find our creative players - especially petrov

will start to play the way they can

but as you say its only opinion

Defense is our problem, I truly believe that.

The amount our midfield has to help out our defense is SHOCKING!!

Mellberg ain't good enough, 2 TOP centre half's is a MUST in the summer.

The number of ball that are hoofed out of defense straight up front shows how little confidence there is in actually being able to move the ball through midfield. We give the ball back too easily and force the midfield to play deep. We need players that can play the ball on the floor. We've got one of the best pitches in the PL and we can't play it along the ground!

i wouldn't mind seeing us try to hijack evertons bid to keep manuel fernandes

benfica seem to be keen to get the 12 million, and if everton refuse to pay it we could always jump in

its obviously a lot of money, but in context with ashley young it would be more than worth it IMO

everytime i've seen him hes looked a true class act

i wouldn't really want to see us paying that much, but if we couldn't get anyone for a more reasonable price he could be worth a shout.

personally, i think the midfield is at fault for both the defence not coping and the strikers not scoring...

the midfield is far too static, and offers no cover and protection for the defence, but also offers no support for the attack...

although i do think that we need to improve ALL areas, i just think that the midfield is a priority....

personally, i think the midfield is at fault for both the defence not coping and the strikers not scoring...

the midfield is far too static, and offers no cover and protection for the defence, but also offers no support for the attack...

although i do think that we need to improve ALL areas, i just think that the midfield is a priority....

Agreed there and I think Steve Sidwell would improve both the defence and attack. He should be the #1 priority in the summer. Even with Reading's great season he's still largely undervalued and would instantly be one of the best players on the squad, and for free.

I sometime wonder why I don't get affected by the air in Manchester in the same way you do Jas, Mellberg is excellent and looked it this season when he played with Laursen. I don't think he is helped by the fact he is playing alongside Gaz Cahill as his education and talking to/of others is one reason I think he lost the Captaincy.

There are others who need replacing before we get to Olly

I sometime wonder why I don't get affected by the air in Manchester in the same way you do Jas, Mellberg is excellent and looked it this season when he played with Laursen. I don't think he is helped by the fact he is playing alongside Gaz Cahill as his education and talking to/of others is one reason I think he lost the Captaincy.

There are others who need replacing before we get to Olly

I think they all look excellent playing next to Laursen, that's more to with Laursen being so damn good than anything else.

I think Cahill has looked better than Mellberg in most of the games they've played together. Also, what if the big viking doesn't gel with whoever we get in, like he hasn't with so many other partners? When do we say it's not an excuse anymore?

Cahill is only going to get better. I'd build my defence around him.

I'd strongly disagree with the notion that Cisse "can't shoot properly", no striker in this world who couldn't place a ball in the back of the net would have a 14m price tag on their head and play for one of the best international teams in the world, the scouts would notice that in a flash and also i think this video backs up my opinion,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CMCHJAB-qY8

the strike against Everton proves that he can indeed place it into the net and it was pure class, even Henry would have been proud of that one, i think if Mon could get the best out of Cisse he would be very good for us, he's always said he wanted to stay in England too.