It really was this good !

smetrov

Its a better goal for one reason - Van Persies was offside and therefore illegal.

That said the technique and precision of Van Persies was out of this world. Lowton's really could have gone anywhere. Thankfully it went into the back of the net.

RVP's wasn't necessary though, that's one of the reasons Lowtons was better. Lowton had two defenders quickly closing him down and had to hit it right away, whereas RVP was in acres of space and probably could've taken a touch. 

• Like 1

Was in the away end that memorial day and couldn't actually believe that actually happened. Shearer is a mug, its a 35+ yard volley from a defender under pressure from 2 Stoke players ffs, hasn't got a Scooby Doo :)

Its a better goal for one reason - Van Persies was offside and therefore illegal.

That said the technique and precision of Van Persies was out of this world. Lowton's really could have gone anywhere. Thankfully it went into the back of the net.

"Really could have gone anywhere"? Explain that bit to me because I don't follow the logic.

I have tried countless, countless times to recreate Lowton's goal down the park. Even the initial chest forward is difficult to control, and I don't have 2 neanderthals running at me...

With RVP's, once he starts running and can see the ball, it's (fairly) easy to swing a leg at it as its a volley.

Lowton has to get the chest spot on, then wrap his foot over it, and with power, dip and direction.

Insane goal.

FFS , RVP was offside, no way can that ever be GOTS. It's an illegal goal.

Lowtons Is the genuines GOTS.

Remy can **** right off, relegated clearing in the woods.

• Like 1

"Really could have gone anywhere"? Explain that bit to me because I don't follow the logic.

Well, there is no doubt that Van Persie meant to put it exactly where he did. We know this because of who the player is and how often he does similar things. As somebody says Lowton has 2 defenders closing him down and therefore has to hit it quickly. With the greatest of respects to Matt Lowton, its a bit more hit and hope than RVPs. im not trying to say RVP's is better, I am just trying to put forward ideas why people might have seen it as better.

Same with Remy's - placed into the top corner with unbelievable precision. 

One of the greatest prem goals was Tony yeboah's volley v Liverpool. Great goal, but there is no way he meant to put it off the underside of the crossbar.

It couldn't even compete for the bbc goal of the season because it didnt win goal of the month (van Persie's against us a fortnight later I think did).

Sky voted Lowton's though, mainly due to the importance of it. Winning goal which essentially kept us up. Had we lost that game we'd have been solidly in the relegation zone and I don't think we'd have recovered from there.

Gary Neville chose it for his goal of the season due to the importance of it.

Absolute stunner of a goal.

Never thought I'd say this, but Gary Neville is one of the few pundits who actually talks sense...

Why did you never think you would say that?

It's been obvious he is head and shoulders above any of his peers from the minute he started doing TV analysis.

I'd go as far as saying that if this goal did not happen we could well be in the Championship by now.

I agree!

Because in that game we played very well and deserved to win, but then Stoke suddenly scores and took over the momentum. We looked jaded and they looked likely to score the next one to be honest, but then this came out of nothing. Insane goal and insane belief, when he controls it and sees all the studs in front of im - well, 90% of all players would hesitate to finish through because of fear of being tackled on the ankle.

As for the van Persie goal, both are wonderstrikes. Having been a footballer myself I know how difficult that finish was, when the ball is coming over you and you have to control your body like that. Lowton is obviously a hit and hope as they say in golf, and it involves a lot more luck ending up in goal. You kind of try to score but you know that is can easily end up outside the stadium. Van Persie tries to do that crazy finish, Lowton (he is a right back after all) is basically whacking the ball and 1 out of a 100 times it ends up in the back of the net. Does not take anything away from it though, far from it :) Top 2 goals of the season and I am indifferent, Lowton's control and where the ball ends up is "prettier" than VP's.

Edited by Papillon

I'm still saying RVP, but Lowton's was special.

There are only a few players capable of doing what RVP did, so I'll vote for his

Of course if you decide it by importance, then Lowton's would win, but it's not judged by that, or the position he plays in

Â