Aleksander Tonev

HalfTimePost

A bit harsh really. Someone makes a run in front of the keeper and that's an easy goal. The cross that led to Kozak's was a good one.

Either way, shown more than Albrighton has had in a while.

Not harsh at all take of the tinted glasses the crosses were abysmal floaters into the gk's hands. 

Lets have a look at his stats so far:

Appeared in 9 games so far this season

Had a whooping 18 shots - 5 on target....

Commited 7 fouls and been fouled 2 times

0 Goals and 0 assists 

I know you're being obtuse here, but those stats don't mean anything.

The only tinted glasses here are your obviously blinkered ones on Tonev.

Here are his opta stats from cardiff game:

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2013/matches/695001/player-stats/57255/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

0 successful crosses 2 passes made forward found the man so again please tell me how he played well.

Im not tinted I have clear facts

Edited by LondonVillian

By that account Bakary Sagna played in two great crosses, but if we look at this stats page it would show as two unsuccessful crosses. Funny how people use stats to show facts.

Care to backup this claim ?

Back-up what claim? I watched United vs Arsenal, Sagna played in two crosses, which should have been converted, however they weren't so they would be counted as two unsuccessful crosses.

http://www.fourfourtwo.com/statszone/8-2013/matches/695001/player-stats/57255/OVERALL_02#tabs-wrapper-anchor

0 successful crosses 2 passes made forward found the man so again please tell me how he played well.

Con?

Just because the cross didn't get on our attacker's head doesn't mean it wasn't a good cross. 

Con?

Just because the cross didn't get on our attacker's head doesn't mean it wasn't a good cross. 

Hence my point about Sagna's crosses yesterday. If our strikers actually moved in the area, they may have had a simple header.

I think it must be the thing for Bulgarian midfielders signed by this club that gets dogs abuse at the start of their careers here and then prove to be an almost irreplaceable component of our midfield,  hope so anyway

Get off your high horse - Petrov was a decent player playing in europen competition - this guy was playing in a pub league and quite frankly looks sunday league at best. 

Awful team player - can't or won't pass/cross. 

Thinks he can shoot - guess what he can't winds me up up how albrighton gets shipped out on loan and we are playing this utter clown.

Don't hold back mate.

If nothing else, the fact that this lad offers us a bit of width in midfield/attack is pretty valuable. Pretty much everyone else we play wide - Gabby, Weimann, Bacunna - are players who will drift nearer the centre of the pitch.

He works hard, so I don't think we're losing anything by playing him, just hope he can step up his game soon.

Hes crosses where pour but i cam guarantee even when he was out wide n whipping the ball he had his mind on shooting hence the reason they ended up in keepers hands.. The lad is trying to hard but im sure after another 50/60 shots/crosses what ever you want to call them one will fly in the top corner

Argue all you like none of the crosses were "good".

Will see at the end of the season how great he is.......... 

Did anyone say he was great?

Did I say they did?

It's kinda what you were insinuating in your post.

Edited by troon_villan

Tonev, like every other player we have ever signed, needs to be given time, and to judge him now is too premature, no-one has any idea how he will turn out.

I've seen this type of comment countless times reading this thread. do any of you who have written something like that realise just how ridiculous you sound? if we aren't supposed to discuss our opinions on him till he's had more time, then what do you want this thread to contain? should it just be locked for 2 years in case anyone forms some sort of opinion on him after a match and wants to air it?

• Like 1

Tonev, like every other player we have ever signed, needs to be given time, and to judge him now is too premature, no-one has any idea how he will turn out.

I've seen this type of comment countless times reading this thread. do any of you who have written something like that realise just how ridiculous you sound? if we aren't supposed to discuss our opinions on him till he's had more time, then what do you want this thread to contain? should it just be locked for 2 years in case anyone forms some sort of opinion on him after a match and wants to air it?

It's not about not discussing a player, just that saying a player is terrible, will never make it, is one of the worst they have ever seen (or conversely 'world class'), based on way less than a half season, is premature and serves little purpose. If they guessed right - well bully for them but we are worse for having a poor player. If they guessed wrong (Benteke for some!) - they face ridicule. It is easy to comment on a players performance without needing to extrapolate it almost instantly to an extreme.

Unfortunately many football forum users come across as wannabe football managers or game console addicts; all with added hindsight, of course.

• Like 3

It's not about not discussing a player, just that saying a player is terrible, will never make it, is one of the worst they have ever seen (or conversely 'world class'), based on way less than a half season, is premature and serves little purpose. If they guessed right - well bully for them but we are worse for having a poor player. If they guessed wrong (Benteke for some!) - they face ridicule. It is easy to comment on a players performance without needing to extrapolate it almost instantly to an extreme.

Unfortunately many football forum users come across as wannabe football managers or game console addicts; all with added hindsight, of course.

good answer

I understand people give extreme opinions prematurely. however, using myself as an example, I stated that he hadn't shown anything to suggest that he would become a decent player for us after 3 sub games. that is because he hadn't. I wasn't writing him off, he just hadn't impressed me at all at the time. I think part of the issue is people read opinions wrong

good answer

I understand people give extreme opinions prematurely. however, using myself as an example, I stated that he hadn't shown anything to suggest that he would become a decent player for us after 3 sub games. that is because he hadn't. I wasn't writing him off, he just hadn't impressed me at all at the time. I think part of the issue is people read opinions wrong

You are right. It is easy for some to be defensive over a player being criticised when they have genuinely been in poor recent form. I guess that's them extrapolating a perhaps valid criticism into totally panning a player. I forgive some of that though as it can be like someone slating 'family'!

• 2 weeks later...
Â