Gardening

Stevo985

On 4/25/2016 at 14:43, Dante_Lockhart said:

Here's me celebrating after digging out this monstrous tree stump. Took me the best part of an hour.

uYSrmgC.jpg

I honestly thought you were holding a dog up in the air on first glance.

• Like 1

just used some weedkiller, Gallup 360, it is the best stuff i have ever used by far. Dilute it, spray it on the foliage leave for 3-4 days and whatever you have sprayed it on dies within a week, just be careful what you spray it on. . Highly recommended

1 hour ago, tinker said:

just used some weedkiller, Gallup 360, it is the best stuff i have ever used by far. Dilute it, spray it on the foliage leave for 3-4 days and whatever you have sprayed it on dies within a week, just be careful what you spray it on. . Highly recommended

Don't waste your good money on expensive weedkiller. Mix salt, vinegar and washing up liquid. Alll available in the dirt cheap basics range at your local supermarket. Works a treat. 

This was taken about a year ago, I've spent a good few weekends since then cutting out the trees to open it up and filled 2 skips at nearly £200 a go to remove the rubble. It looks far worse now then it did then! 

image.jpg

On 08/07/2016 at 16:54, snowychap said:

Wouldn't rotivating just bring weed seeds that are deeper in the soil to the surface to germinate?

I have no **** idea, that's why I was asking :)

Think I'm just going to let the weedkiller kick in then stick the membrane down and bark on top. Might get someone in to stick a small patio/decking at the bottom of the garden to finish it off, depending on the price.

4 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I have no **** idea, that's why I was asking :)

Think I'm just going to let the weedkiller kick in then stick the membrane down and bark on top. Might get someone in to stick a small patio/decking at the bottom of the garden to finish it off, depending on the price.

I think it does. I guess it also depends what type of weedkiller you used - residual/systemic. If you're not intending to grow anything in the area then I wouldn't see the point in rotivating.

As for the patio, I'm sure Meath could give you some advice. :)

• Like 1

Had four huge leylandii trees taken out this week, between 40 and 60 feet tall at a guess. The biggest stump is three feet across.

They were right in the centre of the garden and it now feels huge.

We've had the stumps left at about 5 feet tall so that we can do something creative with them; anybody got any suggestions?

10 hours ago, snowychap said:

I think it does. I guess it also depends what type of weedkiller you used - residual/systemic. If you're not intending to grow anything in the area then I wouldn't see the point in rotivating.

As for the patio, I'm sure Meath could give you some advice. :)

do you want advice on first attempt patio or the decent second attempt .....both equally back breaking 

• Like 1

I hate gardening but I've found out that I hated the tools at my disposal more. I've gone from a mower that is corded, very weak and with a crap blade to a Mountfield Petrol mower. It is an absolute beast and I'm so chuffed with it - it saves me so much time. Mowing is now quicker because this one is just simply more powerful, it collects grass (massive win) and I don't have to mess around with cords. Plus it's quit fun firing up the engine (god I need to get out more). 

Since this I've decided to invest in much better equipment for the garden and for stuff indoors - notably a Miele Hoover. Now I can spend my saved time reading through Villatalk more. Hashtag winning. 

If only me from 10 years ago could read this, I'd have disowned myself on how boring I've become. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Rds1983 said:

Had four huge leylandii trees taken out this week, between 40 and 60 feet tall at a guess. The biggest stump is three feet across.

They were right in the centre of the garden and it now feels huge.

We've had the stumps left at about 5 feet tall so that we can do something creative with them; anybody got any suggestions?

Cut them off at ground level, Treat roots to prevent regrowth!

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Cut them off at ground level, Treat roots to prevent regrowth!

Thinking more like getting a chainsaw artist in. 

They supposedly don't regrow from a cut surface and if any side stems start I can cut myself.

20 minutes ago, Rds1983 said:

Thinking more like getting a chainsaw artist in. 

They supposedly don't regrow from a cut surface and if any side stems start I can cut myself.

Get me a chainsaw and a 24 pack and ill carve you what you like :D

• Like 1

the pain of torn leg muscles for me, so no gardening or allotment for me for the last three weeks and no prospect of any for another few weeks, wife and kids have had to rally around and keep it all from turning to jungle whilst I supervise from a chair

**** bliss

Â