The VT Musicians Thread

GarethRDR

Wasn't the original idea that Tele's were used as rhythm  guitars whilst the Strat was for lead guitarists ? I remember 'Harmony' guitars had a similar product (many on here may not have heard of them due to my advanced years). In the original Spencer Davis Group, Spencer Davis had a twin pick up, single cut away whilst Steve Winwood, on lead, had 3 pick up twin cutaway. Might have been called The Meteor - not sure now. 

10 minutes ago, veloman said:

Wasn't the original idea that Tele's were used as rhythm  guitars whilst the Strat was for lead guitarists ? 

I don't think it was as prescriptive as that, but it's true to say that in a band with both, it's odds on that the lead guitarist will have the Strat. You don't see many purely rhythm players with Les Pauls, either. It's kinda what I was getting at upthread when I said I don't feel I deserve either of those - they tend to trigger a daunting "Go on then - impress me" reaction from audiences. But with a Tele or a Gretsch, people don't seem to expect so much!  :)

Funnily enough, while I was at Uni pretty much all the guitarists were told "get a Strat", due to the versatility. I do have one, but I've always found my Tele to be way more versatile.

• Like 1

@veloman - I thought you might appreciate these pics of my mate's kit - Yamaha 9000 with a Ludwig Black Beauty snare, apparently (dunno, I don't know drums from shit). 

FB_IMG_1655318914127.jpg

FB_IMG_1655318905603.jpg

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 2

Bloomin 'ell ! That is an ace kit. From memory  - the 9000 was the top of the Yamaha range - possibly maple shells. I looked at a kit of those in Musical Exchange , but opted for Pearl 'cos a) it was cheaper and b) I really didn't warrant such a kit . You will be really interested to know that groove master Steve Gadd uses 'em. There are various 'Black Beauty' models (I think) but they are top quality bits of kit. Some Black Beauty   are about £500+  - just the snare drum. Very interesting !!

Edited by veloman

I have a Gibson Les Paul Gothic. Nothing amazing but I imagine it’s a 500/600 quid guitar, but I use my £139 Squire tele to record with because it sounds so much better. I’m probably doing something wrong 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, veloman said:

Bloomin 'ell ! That is an ace kit. From memory  - the 9000 was the top of the Yamaha range - possibly maple shells. I looked at a kit of those in Musical Exchange , but opted for Pearl 'cos a) it was cheaper and b) I really didn't warrant such a kit . You will be really interested to know that groove master Steve Gadd uses 'em. There are various 'Black Beauty' models (I think) but they are top quality bits of kit. Some Black Beauty   are about £500  - just the snare drum. Very interesting !!

John's got about 9 or 10 kits, he's done a lot of pro drumming. He bought that snare off the Tears For Fears drummer. 

25 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I have a Gibson Les Paul Gothic. Nothing amazing but I imagine it’s a 500/600 quid guitar, but I use my £139 Squire tele to record with because it sounds so much better. I’m probably doing something wrong 

Gibson or Epiphone? 

I always thought that the Gibsons were all in the £1k region.

In response to your actual post though, I've got a £900 Martin and a £600 Taylor and 9 times out of 10 I pick up my 20 year old Tanglewood because it sounds so nice and is just really versatile, it wasn't cheap, I paid around £400 for it all those years ago so I don't know what it would have cost in todays money.

2 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

Gibson or Epiphone? 

I always thought that the Gibsons were all in the £1k region.

In response to your actual post though, I've got a £900 Martin and a £600 Taylor and 9 times out of 10 I pick up my 20 year old Tanglewood because it sounds so nice and is just really versatile, it wasn't cheap, I paid around £400 for it all those years ago so I don't know what it would have cost in todays money.

Gibson. I got it second hand off a mate and paid about £500 i think, but just assumed it was around that price range. Unless I’m really dialling into the wrong sound, it sounds like utter turd through an amp simulator though. My Squire tele just sounds so much more …. crisp.

On 15/06/2022 at 19:59, mjmooney said:

@veloman - I thought you might appreciate these pics of my mate's kit - Yamaha 9000 with a Ludwig Black Beauty snare, apparently (dunno, I don't know drums from shit). 

FB_IMG_1655318914127.jpg

FB_IMG_1655318905603.jpg

Very nice! The Black Beauty is one of Ludwig's most highly regarded models. It's a stunning snare drum.

11 hours ago, mjmooney said:

John's got about 9 or 10 kits, he's done a lot of pro drumming. He bought that snare off the Tears For Fears drummer. 

Is "John" from the Birmingham area ? Just wondered if I knew him - although I have been away from the music scene for some years now.

1 hour ago, veloman said:

Is "John" from the Birmingham area ? Just wondered if I knew him - although I have been away from the music scene for some years now.

No. John Shepard is of 'our' generation, but he's Leeds born and bred (big LUFC fan, and a vegan, but I forgive him). Fantastic drummer, btw. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

No. John Shepard is of 'our' generation, but he's Leeds born and bred (big LUFC fan, and a vegan, but I forgive him). Fantastic drummer, btw. 

Cheers . Great kit btw

I dont listen to a lot of new music ( the last song I bothered to keep was Eye of the tiger ) but,I wondered if you have comical/amusing songs now ? Songs like "Along came Jones"..."Harry the hairy ape"..."Please mister Custer" etc.Just curious.

One bloke who played in the band I was in had a "Tokai". I really couldn't tell it apart from a Strat, really nice sound (I thought). Anyone ever had one of these ? Are they still about ?

1 hour ago, veloman said:

One bloke who played in the band I was in had a "Tokai". I really couldn't tell it apart from a Strat, really nice sound (I thought). Anyone ever had one of these ? Are they still about ?

They are. I've never played one, but they do have a good reputation. 

The above-mentioned John Shepard plays a wide variety of styles (currently playing blues-rock and Laurel Canyon-era covers, among others), but here he is playing some jazz. Excellent drumming, I think you'll agree, @veloman.  

Â