The Randy Lerner thread

CI

He essentially walked as he wasnt able to do his job as detailed in his 'contract' or made it impossible to do his job, i.e win games without investment in players etc! and before anyone says, "he was having to sell the shit HE bought first" I knbow that, however would make no difference and clearly didn't in a tribunal.

Well for those that are interested here is MONs barristers own web page stating he took the club on for 'wrongful dismissal' - so he didn't walk?

HERE

Denis it is pretty much common knowledge that he didn't walk apart from for those fans with their heads buried in the sand who refuse to accept it.

i completely lost respect in Randy at the time of the O'Neill saga. it was obviously not a business decision to sack him, personnel matters were brought into it.

what really sickened me on this site, which is why I stopped posting here, was how many villa fans at that time turned on O'Neill, slamming his tansfers, and the football he got us playing.

they stood stupidly behing Lerner, and kept faith in the Houllier regime for so long, out of blind faith to Villa, not realising what was going to come of all this.

the fact that so many fans did not realise what we were achieving finishing 6th three seasons in a row.

then to top it off he signed old Houllier as a replacement, followed up by McLeish(a slight improvement).

Shortly after that point lerner lost interest and knew he would not make money here, and was waiting for the right time to sell(and still is)

If we stay up, this club will be sold soon. That is the best Villa fans can hope for now.

Well the articles says -

'Paul Gilroy has a particular interest in sports-related litigation. He recently successfully acted for Martin O’Neill in his wrongful dismissal claim against Aston Villa before the FA Premier League Tribunal'

So I don't need to be careful with my use of words do I?

i completely lost respect in Randy at the time of the O'Neill saga. it was obviously not a business decision to sack him, personnel matters were brought into it.

what really sickened me on this site, which is why I stopped posting here, was how many villa fans at that time turned on O'Neill, slamming his tansfers, and the football he got us playing.

they stood stupidly behing Lerner, and kept faith in the Houllier regime for so long, out of blind faith to Villa, not realising what was going to come of all this.

the fact that so many fans did not realise what we were achieving finishing 6th three seasons in a row.

then to top it off he signed old Houllier as a replacement, followed up by McLeish(a slight improvement).

Shortly after that point lerner lost interest and knew he would not make money here, and was waiting for the right time to sell(and still is)

If we stay up, this club will be sold soon. That is the best Villa fans can hope for now.

You started to make a bit of sense until you suggested that McLeish was a 'slight improvement' on Houllier and then you lost it for me.

It was Randy and Faulkners biggest **** up getting rid of O'Neill and one that showed their complete lack of football knowledge. You want a manager who can manage on a shoe string and get players to over achieve then O'Neill is your man as he showed first at Wycombe, then Leicester and is and will continue to show at Sunderland. To take you into the top 4 he may not have been the right guy although he came pretty close. To get a team that should be midtable to bottom third to over achieve and finish 6th -10th then he is ideal.

For where we are now he would be pretty much perfect.

I think it turned into a power struggle bewteen Faulkner & MON in Randy's absence.

Faulkner had the ear of Lerner & the die was cast.

Lerner backed the wrong horse, rather than sitting down with MON & working things out

I think it turned into a power struggle bewteen Faulkner & MON in Randy's absence.

Faulkner had the ear of Lerner & the die was cast.

Lerner backed the wrong horse, rather than sitting down with MON & working things out

Completely agree with you on that!

Why are Sunderland flying. It is only 200 miles from Sunderland to Birmingham which is not that far. Surely it would be cheaper to get a coach like most away teams do.

Sunderland and Newcastle fly everywhere. The coach drives down ahead to collect them.

All the local teams fly as well, the Villa and the Albion bus the players to the airport. The 'noses always drive themselves.

Yeah and theyd have to drive to Newcastle airport

No way would MON be on that plane as he lives in beaconsfield and is driving up the M40 tomorrow

He lets waldord & Robertson travel with the players

I think you will fins John Robertson is not with him at Sunderland and MON bought a house on the Four Oaks Estate in Sutton Coldfield a few years back so he may not have very far to travel! (assuming he still owns it)

It was Randy and Faulkners biggest **** up getting rid of O'Neill and one that showed their complete lack of football knowledge. You want a manager who can manage on a shoe string and get players to over achieve then O'Neill is your man as he showed first at Wycombe, then Leicester and is and will continue to show at Sunderland. To take you into the top 4 he may not have been the right guy although he came pretty close. To get a team that should be midtable to bottom third to over achieve and finish 6th -10th then he is ideal.

For where we are now he would be pretty much perfect.

Not sure he did that at Celtic if you talk their fans. 'Nearly bankrupted' is a term often heard from Celtic fans.

And he absolutely definitely did not do that at Villa with the wage bill growing from £25m to £80m.

The **** up Lerner made was not controlling MON in the first place and then not anticipating that he was going to walk when he did. They should have pinned him down at the end of season on his intentions and parted company more amicably then if necessary. As it was they let an unhappy manager deliberately choose to leave at the most awkward time without any idea of how they would replace him.

But then of course the media would never criticise St Martin.

There are many skill factors required to be a Football Manager and Martin O'Neill knows how to motivate players and moreover knows how play a style that that can get results.... not always pleasant on the eye, but never the less he can get results.... that style also brings with it an element of inconsistency or unpredictability in as much as his teams tend to run out of steam at the BUSINESS end of the season.

Our 6-6-6 was commendable but i seem to remember two of the seasons we bust a gut to make 6th and the other we fell away to make 6th

My view is that one of the most critical skills a manager requires his ability to get talent spotted and then develop it at the club..... similar to Saunders.

I believe one of Mon's biggest failings with us was his performance in the transfer market.... The ratio between good and bad signings was on the wrong side.

Lerner gave him the latitude/freedom to operate, that all you can ask of an Owner.

Martin O'Neill is undoubtedly good at getting a quart out of a pint pot.... but not so good of leaving a legacy of good players behind him when he leaves.

Saunders said when he left...." this team will run itself for 12 months"

Mons team.... went in about 5 minutes.

Â