The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Steve Bruce in fairness does have a much better record as a manager than M cLeish does.

Exactly how many trophies has he won as a manager?

He has far more Premiership experience and pedigree than our manager. Simple facts.

Sorry, I cannot define the 'pedigree', nor see the 'simple facts'.

It appears that both are just your opinion.(I assume that he hasn't won any trophies in his managerial career)

Having jumped out of the frying pan into the fire on the last two occasions, I don't think that Steve Bruce could offer the club anything different.

Jonathan Fear on Vital Villa has said he has heard rumours that we are lining up Roy Keane

sadly a 40 year old Keane could still do a job in our midfield.

Roy Keane doesnt like modern footballers as they are the opposite of his character who lack determination and care about the bling and cant see him coming back as a manager

His managerial ability leaves a lot to be desired, but we need someone who isn't going to take any shit whatsoever.

Jonathan Fear on Vital Villa has said he has heard rumours that we are lining up Roy Keane

sadly a 40 year old Keane could still do a job in our midfield.

Roy Keane doesnt like modern footballers as they are the opposite of his character who lack determination and care about the bling and cant see him coming back as a manager

His managerial ability leaves a lot to be desired, but we need someone who isn't going to take any shit whatsoever.

Surely we have someone right now that doesn't 'take shit'. McLeish has enforced discipline on Bannan, NZogbia (maybe Bent???) for stepping out of line.

What we need is a manager who is tactically astute, clever in the transfer market, sees football as an entertaining game where you try and win by scoring goals, and isn't full of excuses. We don't need someone to come in and kick arses and yell.

What we need is a manager who is tactically astute, clever in the transfer market, sees football as an entertaining game where you try and win by scoring goals, and isn't full of excuses. We don't need someone to come in and kick arses and yell.

Alan Pardew, come on down!!

If only it was that easy? I'd take the 'see's football as an entertaining game' atm though!

Steve Bruce in fairness does have a much better record as a manager than M cLeish does.

Exactly how many trophies has he won as a manager?

One fluked league cup doesn't make you a good manager!

Bruce and McLeish are at the same level IMO and I would want either. Keane would be a massive mistake.

Curbs looks good compared to that terrible trio!

just get mark hughes in for christ sake

Has anybody considered that Mark Hughes may have previously turned down the 'opportunity', because he didn't fancy the post O'Neill austerity?

Has anyone considered he was never asked as our owner wouldn't recognise a decent manager if one sat on his face?

If Lerner isn't at the Arsenal game, that will say it all for me

As he has attended one game this season - it would be a major surprise if he jets in on a cold december night for match that we will probably loose and probably wont score.

The evidence that he has lost interest is now overwhelming.

But he has a ......... ;)

While I'm not sure there is any evidence he has lost interest I have to agree it certainly seems that way at this moment in time. Him popping over for one game and to say otherwise in The Times doesn't really change the perception.

I still can't get over how quickly we have fallen over the last 18 months. We may be sitting 10th but we are a million miles away from where we were. In any case by the half way point of the season I'd say we'll be sitting in around 14th which is a more realistic position.

Whilst its not nice I can just about accept that Lerner has had to cut costs. That though does not excuse his managerial appointments. Whilst not ideal when O'Neill left, most likely it seems sacked, 5 days before the season, Aston Villa was still an attractive proposition for many a manager. Even after a poor season last year we were still an attractive proposition.

Now everyone is entitled to make a **** up. Lerner though learned nothing from the mistakes he made with Houllier and appointed another duff in McLeish. Its incomprehensible when you think about it how we have ended up with McLeish. I honestly couldn't care a jot that he has managed Sha. What bothers me is the fact he has taken a club down twice serving up negative tripe whilst doing so.

What qualities had Lerner seen in either of his appointments. Houllier you could maybe excuse but he had question marks over him in the fact he hadn't managed for 3 years, hadn't managed in The Premiership in several years, had a questionable record in the transfer market and not known for working on a tight budget, had health issues and wasn't prepared to take on the job immediately choosing to take two weeks to clear his desk at the French FA. What qualities he saw in McLeish is anyone's guess. He seems a nice enough bloke but his record in management in England is poor to OK at best. Its astonishing really that this is the best Aston Villa could do. Well that's not true is it. Its the best Lerner and Faulkner could do.

He will inevitably be looking for another manager with in the next 6 -12 months. I don't think we will go down but crowds are dropping off drastically and those of us that do attend will increasingly start to get on the managers back and the inevitable will happen and he will be forced out.

Maybe he will be third time lucky. I very much doubt it though.

The most important appointment a Chairman/Chief Exec have to make is to appoint the right manager. It is something Lerner and Faulkner seem incapable of doing. That leads me to the conclusion that either Lerner gets rid of Faulkner and brings in a Chief Executive capable of doing this or he sells up. One of the two needs to happen or we are going to continue heading up shit creek without a paddle.

I still can't get over how quickly we have fallen over the last 18 months. We may be sitting 10th but we are a million miles away from where we were. In any case by the half way point of the season I'd say we'll be sitting in around 14th which is a more realistic position.

Whilst its not nice I can just about accept that Lerner has had to cut costs. That though does not excuse his managerial appointments. Whilst not ideal when O'Neill left, most likely it seems sacked, 5 days before the season, Aston Villa was still an attractive proposition for many a manager. Even after a poor season last year we were still an attractive proposition.

Now everyone is entitled to make a **** up. Lerner though learned nothing from the mistakes he made with Houllier and appointed another duff in McLeish. Its incomprehensible when you think about it how we have ended up with McLeish. I honestly couldn't care a jot that he has managed Sha. What bothers me is the fact he has taken a club down twice serving up negative tripe whilst doing so.

What qualities had Lerner seen in either of his appointments. Houllier you could maybe excuse but he had question marks over him in the fact he hadn't managed for 3 years, hadn't managed in The Premiership in several years, had a questionable record in the transfer market and not known for working on a tight budget, had health issues and wasn't prepared to take on the job immediately choosing to take two weeks to clear his desk at the French FA. What qualities he saw in McLeish is anyone's guess. He seems a nice enough bloke but his record in management in England is poor to OK at best. Its astonishing really that this is the best Aston Villa could do. Well that's not true is it. Its the best Lerner and Faulkner could do.

He will inevitably be looking for another manager with in the next 6 -12 months. I don't think we will go down but crowds are dropping off drastically and those of us that do attend will increasingly start to get on the managers back and the inevitable will happen and he will be forced out.

Maybe he will be third time lucky. I very much doubt it though.

The most important appointment a Chairman/Chief Exec have to make is to appoint the right manager. It is something Lerner and Faulkner seem incapable of doing. That leads me to the conclusion that either Lerner gets rid of Faulkner and brings in a Chief Executive capable of doing this or he sells up. One of the two needs to happen or we are going to continue heading up shit creek without a paddle.

Sums it up for me

I hear what you're saying but I'm not convinced we are/were that attractive a prospect for managers.

We'd effectively be looking at 2 main markets, the established managers who havn't done a lot recetnly and are looking for a club, for example the Hughes type manager. But it appears that Hughes left Fulham due to alack of ambition and surely any chat with the owner that revealed Young and Downing would be out the door with not much of the money made available would put that kind of manager off.

The second being the up and coming young manager from a lower league, whilst undoubtedly a PL team would be an attractive optin at first glance, it's clear the scale of the cutbacks at the club would prevent any challenge at any kind of honours, what young manager on the way up would want to risk a mediocre patch on his CV by managing a club that doiesn't have the players or resources to mount any kind of challenge?

What we were left with were those that couldn't get a job anywhere else and were prepared t put up with the current financial situation at the club, we didn't want McLaren and therefore options were truely limited.

I know we're all fans but realistically we are not an attractive proposition for players or managers, which is partly the reason so many o the players we have signed in recent year have come in on bumper pay deals.

Â