The Randy Lerner thread

CI

"Watches the game wherever in the world he is".

Seems like he doesn't mind being anywhere and everywhere except at Villa Park !

Let's be honest, if you were Lerner would you want to show up to VP?

Probably not, the majority of fans hate him, and if he turned up he'd get dogs bollocks abuse.

This will probably be passed off as "defending a billionaire", but it's fairly obvious why he doesn't turn up if he does indeed watch every game.

• Like 1

Let's be honest, if you were Lerner would you want to show up to VP?

Probably not, the majority of fans hate him, and if he turned up he'd get dogs bollocks abuse.

This will probably be passed off as "defending a billionaire", but it's fairly obvious why he doesn't turn up if he does indeed watch every game.

Only one person at fault for that, he is hiding away from his own mistakes.

It does not stop Vincent Tan and Mike Ashley. I do not think Lerner is disliked by the majority of fans, I think RL has lost his passion for the club and football in general.

• Like 1

Its obvious to everyone that the club is being run in preparation for sale. It is almost identical to the way that Ellis did things under DOL.

Think £200mil seems steep considering its almost double what Lerner paid Ellis & the other shareholders. The money Lerner has ploughed in is IMO money he has lost in a gamble that failed.

No doubt Lerner will have claim to the loans he has made to AVFC so I would have thought &150 mil more realistic.

I was watching some games from the 2005/2006 season. Kevin Philips was talking about young players developing at the club and kept alluding to the future, it is exactly the same now. I believe now Lambert was appointed to manage the club until Lerner finds a genuine buyer.

To be fair pretty much every club does that virtually all of the time.

I see we have all been playing football manager again. I mean it so easy to get billionaire investors who are willing just to throw money at the club. I don't know what world you all live in?!?

You have to be playing FM to want Lerner to sell up?

It does not stop Vincent Tan and Mike Ashley. I do not think Lerner is disliked by the majority of fans, I think RL has lost his passion for the club and football in general.

Yep. That's a weak excuse for not turning up.

Vincent Tan seems to be absolutely mental though, and I'm not sure how disliked Ashley is since Newcastle started doing well again.

Maybe he isn't dislike by the majority, but the content aren't the most vocal, the most vocal are always the ones who are pissed off and the ones who are over the moon. As for the last part, that's why I emphasised the if in the last sentence.

No, to expect that there is just someone with tons of money waiting to spend it on out club. It's just not realistic.

A lot of the London clubs spend as they have the money, but rarely do we sell out our stadium and we have some of the cheapest tickets going. If the prices went up there would be an even bigger uproar yet the expectation is we should be buying 15mil midfielders. The responsibility is as much with the fans as with the owners but most are too short sighted to see this.

Edited by andyjsg

No, to expect that there is just so done with tons of money waiting to spend it on out club. It's just not realistic.

A lot of the London clubs spend as they have the money, but rarely do we sell out our stadium and we have some of the cheapest tickets going. If the prices went up there would be an even bigger uproar yet the expectation is we should be buying 15mil midfielders. The responsibility is as much with the fans as with the owners but most are too short sighted to see this.

The expectation isn't spending £15m on midfielders, it's buying enough players that can cover all positions effectively. We spent £20m, roughly, in the summer, and we got a GK, LB, CB, Winger, 2 STs and an all rounder, whilst still having a threadbare defense and midfield that was still unproven at this level.

EDIT: I should add, of our signings, 2 have long term injuries, 3 never play, 1 who has been largely terrible and 1 has been showing recently he might be a bit of a coup. These signings are fine, there risks that sometimes don't work out, but you can't build a squad on those players, you need to intersperse some big-ish money signings who will be able to play straight and will be relatively low risk, which we are currently to financially restricted to do. That's the expectation from the board.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

The responsibility is as much with the fans

What a load of shit. Look at our home form over the last few years and look at our average attendences.

Our average attendances for the biggest club in the 2nd city are pathetic.

Its obvious to everyone that the club is being run in preparation for sale. It is almost identical to the way that Ellis did things under DOL.

Think £200mil seems steep considering its almost double what Lerner paid Ellis & the other shareholders. The money Lerner has ploughed in is IMO money he has lost in a gamble that failed.

No doubt Lerner will have claim to the loans he has made to AVFC so I would have thought &150 mil more realistic.

I was watching some games from the 2005/2006 season. Kevin Philips was talking about young players developing at the club and kept alluding to the future, it is exactly the same now. I believe now Lambert was appointed to manage the club until Lerner finds a genuine buyer.

To be fair pretty much every club does that virtually all of the time.

Maybe so, but add to the fact Ellis was not investing into the club and failed to stump up enough funds to sign Erik Bakke permanently. I still say Lerner is behaving in a similar manner to the aforementioned season and is indeed looking for a buyer as Ellis was during that time.

The responsibility is as much with the fans

What a load of shit. Look at our home form over the last few years and look at our average attendences.
Our average attendances for the biggest club in the 2nd city are pathetic.

We have the worst home form in the league, do you think we should have a waiting list for season tickets?

• Like 1

Not sure that showing up at Villa Park at the moment would be anything other than counter-productive. He does not appear to be the sort of guy who wants to get public abuse.

Interesting to see that his pal Short at Sunderland turned up for the first time since Poyet took over only a couple of weeks ago.

As for selling up, I would not give too much credence to a report in a tabloid. I do not think there is anything Lerner has done over the last 3/4 years that would convince me whether he will sell or otherwise. 

So where does the money come from then? The aforementioned fantasy owner who can afford to throw millions down the toilet?

TV money, sponsorship and other commercial deals. You are aware we make more money than the majority of clubs. Although that will start to change if we continue the way we have been.

So where does the money come from then? The aforementioned fantasy owner who can afford to throw millions down the toilet?

Yes, the old "I can't see it, so it isn't there" as an excuse to keep Lerner. Keep them coming lads.

Â