The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Yea god knows what the thought was on bringing him....... unless it was yea were going to come in for lots of criticism lets get someone they hate so they aim it at him.

Because after McLeish we were willing to accept pretty much anything, as it is "better than McLeish" just as we accept Lerner because he is "better than Doug".

Tell ya what - I'd have accepted that tramp found under the Holte End way back instead of that old t***pot Ellis - at least the tramp loved Villa so much he lived at the ground! :P

This is the problem - and don't get me wrong, I would rather hold my nuts over a lit candle than take Ellis back - but this doesn't make Lerner a good chairman, he is failing the club and has been failing the club since he set foot through the door and thought a "Leeds type" throw your money at it plan was the best way forward. It has been problem after problem since.

Yea god knows what the thought was on bringing him....... unless it was yea were going to come in for lots of criticism lets get someone they hate so they aim it at him.

Because after McLeish we were willing to accept pretty much anything, as it is "better than McLeish" just as we accept Lerner because he is "better than Doug".

Tell ya what - I'd have accepted that tramp found under the Holte End way back instead of that old t***pot Ellis - at least the tramp loved Villa so much he lived at the ground! :P

This is the problem - and don't get me wrong, I would rather hold my nuts over a lit candle than take Ellis back - but this doesn't make Lerner a good chairman, he is failing the club and has been failing the club since he set foot through the door and thought a "Leeds type" throw your money at it plan was the best way forward. It has been problem after problem since.

Mate I didn't say Lerner is a good chairman - I'm dissapointed in him I really am but just wanted to get that dig into Ellis as I relish any chance I can and I have personal reasons for that which a few people on here know what they are!

• Like 1

Mate I didn't say Lerner is a good chairman - I'm dissapointed in him I really am but just wanted to get that dig into Ellis as I relish any chance I can and I have personal reasons for that which a few people on here know what they are!

I don't blame you mate, the guy held us back for two decades.  :thumb:

(And that is without the bullshit we put up with!)

• Like 1

There maybe a bit of madness in that method....but hey the cynic in says.....could be.

its amazing how we can change our opinions when we know more.....not suggesting any of us would change our opinion on AM, just talking generally.

I don't blame you mate, the guy held us back for two decades.  :thumb:

(And that is without the bullshit we put up with!)

You and me on same wavelength!  :thumb:

• Like 1

It was a good plan. Wrong man to give the money to though

It was a good plan. Wrong man to give the money to though

Lerner couldn't afford the money he threw at the club, had no plan b, no fall back, no idea and a lot of excuses. It was a plan similar to Leeds tried and could have cost us a lot more than it has.

It was a good plan? Spend with little thought for the future. Yeah had the potential to be great.

Wonder why he's failed with two teams with ideas like that.

It definitely was a good plan, but the flaw was putting all the trust in the guy he did. Who could possibly have predicted that of all the signings we'd make, most of them on vastly inflated money, that we'd get a transfer fee back for only about a fifth of them and lose countless millions on the rest. Had we brought back in even £2m per player that we let go for free, we'd have had over £30m extra in the bank, and I doubt we'd have undergone quite the austerity measures we're under right now

MON was the right man for the time. He was the right man to stabilize the ship and get us established in the top half. He was NOT the right man to give a quarter of a billion quid to for fees and wages. Was that Lerner's fault? Yes. Was he wrong to trust his manager though? No, absolutely not. He was wrong not to bring someone in to keep him on a leash though, someone who knew football

• Like 1

In other news, Jimmy Haslam (Cleveland Browns Owner) is being investigated by the FBI for fraud.

FFS! Can just imagine it now. Lerner, not content with having previously employed a former Blues manager, sells the Villa to Carson Yeung.

It was a good plan? Spend with little thought for the future. Yeah had the potential to be great.

Wonder why he's failed with two teams with ideas like that.

It definitely was a good plan, but the flaw was putting all the trust in the guy he did. Who could possibly have predicted that of all the signings we'd make, most of them on vastly inflated money, that we'd get a transfer fee back for only about a fifth of them and lose countless millions on the rest. Had we brought back in even £2m per player that we let go for free, we'd have had over £30m extra in the bank, and I doubt we'd have undergone quite the austerity measures we're under right now

MON was the right man for the time. He was the right man to stabilize the ship and get us established in the top half. He was NOT the right man to give a quarter of a billion quid to for fees and wages. Was that Lerner's fault? Yes. Was he wrong to trust his manager though? No, absolutely not. He was wrong not to bring someone in to keep him on a leash though, someone who knew football

why is it so many can't understand that simple analysis....when it stares you in the face....For what its worth, Sunderland are in much the same situation 11th highest spenders on their current squad.

PS Randy had good intentions, once upon a time, he is now damaged goods.

Edited by TRO

Any prospective buyer with any Nous would be thinking, to make a mark , I have to step in to the ring with Roman Abramovich and Sheik Mansoor....Its like stepping in with Mike Tyson in his prime to coin a parallel

I don't see too many prospects, that we would be delirious about, being interested.

Any prospective buyer with any Nous would be thinking, to make a mark , I have to step in to the ring with Roman Abramovich and Sheik Mansoor....Its like stepping in with Mike Tyson in his prime to coin a parallel

I don't see too many prospects, that we would be delirious about, being interested.

I still think the next mega wealthy person to a buy a PL club will be from China.

Â