The Randy Lerner thread

CI

Comparing the current state of club finances with those in the 70s or 80s

I'm not, I'm comparing it with our premiership years and unfortunately like a lot of aspects of the club this is another area where we are allowing other teams to overtake us under the fantastic ownership of randy Lerner.

Its another thing that will make 'the plan' more difficult and why under Lerner finishing top half is becoming a struggle.

No doubt it will be shrugged off as nothing as we continue to drop.

I'm still amazed there's people who continue to defend him. Look at the last few years. Poor results and league finishes, loss in revenue, competition catching and overtaking us. And during all this the same group defending him and backing 'the plan' to spend what we can afford but failing to acknowledge that because of the owner that this now makes a top half finish a struggle.

Edited by Big_John_10

I'm still amazed there's people who continue to defend him. Look at the last few years. Poor results and league finishes, loss in revenue, competition catching and overtaking us. And during all this the same group defending him and backing 'the plan' to spend what we can afford but failing to acknowledge that because of the owner that this now makes a top half finish a struggle.

I'm still amazed there are people who continue to believe that Ellis was better than Lerner, that this current dip in results is somehow inferior to being relegated under our previous owner and that the fairly recent additions of "mega-rich" owners somehow makes no difference.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that it doesn't matter how rich a new owner is, the rules have changed and so he would not be allowed to pump untold amounts of money into the team.

People tend to forget that Randy tried for it, it being Champions League qualification, sadly he had the wrong manager to achieve it.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that it doesn't matter how rich a new owner is, the rules have changed and so he would not be allowed to pump untold amounts of money into the team.

People tend to forget that Randy tried for it, it being Champions League qualification, sadly he had the wrong manager to achieve it.

There is always a way, furthermore they would be able to pump money into marketing, infrastructure, forge sponsorship deals to boost revenue etc!

I'm still amazed there are people who continue to believe that Ellis was better than Lerner, that this current dip in results is somehow inferior to being relegated under our previous owner and that the fairly recent additions of "mega-rich" owners somehow makes no difference.

Yeah we've had 3 relegation worried seasons because of a few mega rich owners. And if you experienced relegation with Doug then I fully understand why you'd think that was worse. But I didn't. I haven't experienced a 3 and a half year period of the club being this poor before so for me he's doing a lot worse.

And let's be honest when Lerner took over did you ever think you'd see us get a lower points total than Doug/DOL? Let alone get lower two consecutive seasons? Did you think you'd watch our worst premiership start to a season? Did you think you'd see us let in more goals in a single season than we had in over 25 years? Did you think you'd witness us lose by the joint biggest margin in the clubs history?

Doug held us back and stopped us from being great but Lerner is now making it difficult for us to be a top half team.

"Current dip in results"?

We've had nearly 4 seasons of relegation battles and diabolical football and you're referring to it as a "dip"!

Tell me, when did we have 4 consecutive seasons of shite under Ellis?

We've had nearly 4 seasons of relegation battles and diabolical football and you're referring to it as a "dip"!

9th is a relegation battle?

As for Ellis, research the years 1968, 1969 and 1970.

Or, to play your own game, tell me a period under Ellis where we finished in the top 6 three years running.

And let's be honest when Lerner took over did you ever think you'd see us get a lower points total than Doug/DOL? Let alone get lower two consecutive seasons? Did you think you'd watch our worst premiership start to a season? Did you think you'd see us let in more goals in a single season than we had in over 25 years? Did you think you'd witness us lose by the joint biggest margin in the clubs history?

Let me throw it back to you: When Lerner took over, did you ever honestly think Man City would win the league? And be able to outspend virtually any other club, worldwide? After 3 years in the top 6 with an open chequebook, did you ever honestly think MON could get any higher?

Let me throw it back to you: When Lerner took over, did you ever honestly think Man City would win the league? And be able to outspend virtually any other club, worldwide? After 3 years in the top 6 with an open chequebook, did you ever honestly think MON could get any higher?

What has man city got to do with how bad we've been? Man City aren't the reason we hired two poor managers, continued to waste money and then made drastic financial cuts to the playing squad.

Or, to play your own game, tell me a period under Ellis where we finished in the top 6 three years running.

The Houllier season was a struggle all the way through right through to the last handful of games. It was basically shit and the spectre of relegation was always close by. It also was hint of what was to come.

By the way those early years of Ellis were when he turned up and helped save the club from going under.

Also if you're gonna be petty, tell me when Lerner's Villa ever had a run as good as this, 4th, 5th, 7th, 6th, 6th, 8th, 8th...

And that's before even mentioning the 2 runners up positions.

The only blot is '87, but at the very least we came straight back up. That was Ellis all over. When we had a bad season he'd make money available to make sure the following season was a big improvement. Lerner just sits back and doesn't give a shit.

We might have finished 9th, but we absolutely were in a relegation battle all season.

Of course we could have got higher. How the hell have Everton managed to finish 5th and 4th while we go backwards under Lerner? Did Man City turning up prevent every other team from having an iota of ambition?

From 95/6 we finished in position 4, 5, 7, 6, 6, 8, 8, 16, 6, 10, 16.  8 out of 11 seasons in the top 8.  On top of the two league cup wins.  It went wrong at the end, just like it's gone wrong now under Lerner.

Â