Paul Lambert

Pilchard

er yep. i'd love us to be top 6 again, obviously. the last thing i'd want though is for us to be predictable in the way we were and as zatman says we really struggled to break down sides when we were very effective as a counter attacking team. 

that's all on that point. the things that were more interesting to me in the post i first replied to is the idea that PL was "wrong" or insisted in using the "wrong formation". i don't think it's as simple as him picking the right formation  and magically the players were free from injury and in form and understood well what PL wanted. i don't think it works like that, it's much more complicated and all of those factors needed to come together. they *could* have all come together with a different shape had the players been available, in form and understood what PL was trying to do...

• Like 1

Just glad we are not looking for a manager this summer. Hughes, Martinez or McLeish no thanks haha!

Yep, it's nice to be able to go into next season with the same manager we finished this one with.

last thing i want is MON syndrome where we can only beat teams on the counter and have no plan b. although finishing 6th 3 times on the bounce would be lovely :)

Really? That's the last thing you'd want? We were a **** good side under MON - you highlighted as much at the end of your post. The amount of people who don't appreciate the fact that we were a team that was feared and respected for the first time in a hell of a long time, astounds me. 

.....be astounded.

Stoke were feared too.

Edited by TRO

last thing i want is MON syndrome where we can only beat teams on the counter and have no plan b. although finishing 6th 3 times on the bounce would be lovely :)

Really? That's the last thing you'd want? We were a **** good side under MON - you highlighted as much at the end of your post. The amount of people who don't appreciate the fact that we were a team that was feared and respected for the first time in a hell of a long time, astounds me. 

Not only that.Teams did not want to come to Villa Park, now they look forward to it ?!

Check our home record under Martin O'Neill ....and tell me that again.

.....because our opponents had a funny way of showing it. ( fear that is)

Edited by TRO

I dont think anybody has feared us for a long time. For me we are one of the easiest teams to play against in the league. We lack any form of steal, aggression etc. Im not even sure we have a style.

Under MON we were dreadfully easy to play against at VP looking back.

I dont think anybody has feared us for a long time. For me we are one of the easiest teams to play against in the league. We lack any form of steal, aggression etc. Im not even sure we have a style.

You switched off mid January didn't you?

Try telling that to our rivals of the time, all of whom we left in our wake. All of whom we out-battled, out-thought, outscored and in most cases completely out-played. Try telling them we're the easiest team to play in the league. 

No steel my arse. We've spent the last 3 months proving the complete opposite. 

• Like 1

You switched off mid January didn't you?

Try telling that to our rivals of the time, all of whom we left in our wake. All of whom we out-battled, out-thought, outscored and in most cases completely out-played. Try telling them we're the easiest team to play in the league. 

No steel my arse. We've spent the last 3 months proving the complete opposite. 

I said the easiest did I?

We outplayed QPR and Reading? No - QPR should have been about 4 up

We outplayed Norwich did we?

I forgot all these teams were so so good themselves.

Sorry but I think I will look further than the last 3 months.

Edited by Woodytom

I don't care if teams fear us or not. As long as they lose to us. Them thinking we're a soft touch could be to our advantage. Long may it continue :)

• Like 2

Nope.

Well no it doesnt. It doesnt tell us anything actually as nothing is happening. The nearest present tells us we are the 15th best team in the premiership. Which is one of the worst. We are without doubt easy to score against given the GA record.

If you don't want to debate it thats fine. Makes me wonder why you bothered quoting me in the first place.

Edited by Woodytom

Because it quickly dawned on me the stance you would take, such as the logic you have used above. 

Well forgive me - but in a debate about us being easy to play against there is not an awful lot of evidence i can use as oppose to previous games  :) .

My opinion regarding this does not reflect my optimism we can improve next year btw. I just don't think many teams looked at us in the fixtures and thought - 'shit'.

And I think we have always been like that whilst ive been a fan tbh. Watching season reviews today on sky. Only Villa would be 3 points clear at Xmas and go on to get 12 points from the last 16 games including a 4-1 stuffin at home to Cov. 

Because it quickly dawned on me the stance you would take, such as the logic you have used above. 

Well forgive me - but in a debate about us being easy to play against there is not an awful lot of evidence i can use as oppose to previous games  :) .

My opinion regarding this does not reflect my optimism we can improve next year btw. I just don't think many teams looked at us in the fixtures and thought - 'shit'.

And I think we have always been like that whilst ive been a fan tbh. Watching season reviews today on sky. Only Villa would be 3 points clear at Xmas and go on to get 12 points from the last 16 games including a 4-1 stuffin at home to Cov. 

Does it really matter how teams feel about playing against you? I think how well you do matters more than whether Villa Park is a feared venue.

I am surprised at some that are slating the likes of KEA and Bennett and the performance of the team in the first half of the season. PL and RL have obviously decided to take Villa in a new direction buying young hungry players and getting rid of the older dross and last pay day mercenaries. It was certainly a risky ploy this last season, changing almost the whole team for untried youngsters and some experience but mostly not in the premier league. I would have thought it would be fairly obvious that it would take some time for new players to bed in (even premier league experience players have to get used to playing in a new team) and considering where we bought these new players from (lower leagues) they would need time to step up in quality. Out of the players bought only 2, KEA & Bennett, seem to be taking a little longer to adapt but you can't knock their committment. Give them time and maybe by the end of next season they will make the grade.

I am surprised at some that are slating the likes of KEA and Bennett and the performance of the team in the first half of the season. PL and RL have obviously decided to take Villa in a new direction buying young hungry players and getting rid of the older dross and last pay day mercenaries. It was certainly a risky ploy this last season, changing almost the whole team for untried youngsters and some experience but mostly not in the premier league. I would have thought it would be fairly obvious that it would take some time for new players to bed in (even premier league experience players have to get used to playing in a new team) and considering where we bought these new players from (lower leagues) they would need time to step up in quality. Out of the players bought only 2, KEA & Bennett, seem to be taking a little longer to adapt but you can't knock their committment. Give them time and maybe by the end of next season they will make the grade.

But every decent team in the PL have a combination of young and older ( more experienced ) players.

Why are we trying to be different ?