Paul Lambert

Pilchard

What a word removed. I worked out that we've lost 7 points in the last 10 minutes of games in 2013 alone.

Such a dreadful manager. I really fear for us if he's still here next season when we're in the Championship.

#

how is he a word removed? is this the same way mcleish was a word removed because he did a bad job. personal abuse is just childish and immature

Getting any former manager or anyone just because they have Villa links would be a totally retrograde step.  The issue is not the manager

How can you seriously say that when Lamberts tactics have been so poor, ridiculous substitutions and some woeful signings aswell as the castigation of experienced players.

Also his whole demeanour is not good for morale or the image of this club.

• Like 1

Hiring someone like Little or Gregory would be suicide, there is a reason why the five jobs Gregory has had since leaving has lastet for less than 12 months. And Brian Little much about the same stuff, his last club was Gainsborough Trinity, and before that Wrexham. Both haven't had a serious job since they left us and the league has changed quite a bit since then.

We don't need a guy with history at the club, just look at what happened when Graham Taylor was here again. We need a GOOD manager, a guy that has some tactical knowledge and is willing to work within the restraints we offer. If Lambert is sacked or resigns after this season, which is highly likely after all, then I want someone in the same category. Young-ish, hungry, of the new school and charismatic, just with more football brains.

I'd take Gregory over Lambert.

If Lambert is sacked orresigns after this season, which is highly likely after all, then I wantsomeone in the same category. Young-ish, hungry, of the new school and charismatic, just with more football brains.

I'd say Lambert is the opposite of charismatic. No more dour Scotsmen please. I accept that this isn't really a logical point (Moyes and Ferguson are both dour Scotsmen) but after the McLeish and Lambert debacles it would be nice for a change.

I do agree with you though.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

You should never go back.

Look what happened with Taylor.

True.

And with that, maybe C.I's suggestion of Poyet would be a good fit?

Will need a new and "willing" owner first though, since i think even Mourinho would struggle wih these clowns in charge. But Poyet armed with a decent pot of money is attractive.

Edited by MagicMushroom

You should never go back.

Look what happened with Taylor.

True.

And with that, maybe C.I's suggestion of Poyet would be a good fit?

Will need a new and "willing" owner first though, since i think even Mourinho would struggle wih these clowns in charge. But Poyet armed with a decent pot of money is attractive.

Is Poyet pedigree not that different than Lambert

I cant blame Lambert for a players inability to just put his foot on the ball,look up and pass it to a team mate.Too often i see a player kick it from our box to the halfway line just to see the opposition come right back at us.

You very much can when he has paid cash for the donkeys!

No, Poyet I think has better tactical awareness, would be a bigger draw than lambert for potential signings and generally has much better charisma.

I doubt he would come here though, he's very settled with Brighton and is building something special. They are getting gates of + 25,000 now. Amazing really.

No, Poyet I think has better tactical awareness, would be a bigger draw than lambert for potential signings and generally has much better charisma.

I doubt he would come here though, he's very settled with Brighton and is building something special. They are getting gates of + 25,000 now. Amazing really.

Well there on a good run and have been pretty consistent for a few seasons.

Not so sure 'building something special' is the right way to describe it.

Mantis, I think your opinion of Lambert is well over the top. Sure no one can argue that he is doing a good job atm because he isnt. The team is not performing and whilst you obv know we differ in opinions with regards the responsibility of the players (which we will not get into), I cant argue that Lambert has a big responsibility to get the team performing.

However, for you to call him a word removed for the team losing 7 points in the last 10 minutes since the turn of the year is ridiculus and as Zatman rightly points out imo - a little immature.

Seen as going into those last 10 minutes we were obviously in decent positions (otherwise we wouldnt lose points), why dont you praise him for the 1st 80 minutes of the game where we have done well, rather than focus on the much 'smaller' last ten minutes - I assume because that would be ridiculus also? Why, because footballs played over 90 minutes. And football in the premiership is a very competitive 90 mins in which opposing teams (especially atm) are better than us and also trying to win the game!

What your complaining about is a nature of football. One that Ive been frustrated about with Villa for decades before Paul Lambert turned up. 

Paul Lambert needs to work together with the team, who also need to work with him to sort this mess out. I guarantee, he doesnt want us to be at the bottom, hes not trying to make us lose. Things must improve, but that doesnt make him a word removed.

The points dropped at Everton (or at least the late goal) were entirely Ron Vlaars fault. Harsh, but undoubtedly true. He failed to perform the very basics of defending corners and was punished! Paul Lambert did not tell him to lose his man.Is Ron Vlaar a word removed, or like Paul Lambert does he simply need to improve his performance?

Poyet deserves a huge amount of credit there. How would you describe it ?

Im not saying he doesnt deserve credit. But something special is a bit ott imo.

What Lambert did with Norwich, Rodgers (and his predecessors tbf) with Swansea and Adkins with Southampton are all easily more impressive imo.

Consistently finding ourselves in winning/respectable drawing positions towards the end of games and then dropping those points is what is happening. Sure we can get into these positions but if you can't hold onto them (as we can't the large majority of the time) then it doesn't really matter that much. This isn't something that's exclusive to Lambert, but we have gotten worse under him.

Of course the players are to blame as well, but tactically Lambert is very poor. He doesn't really seem that good at motivating either, as is evidenced by the countless times this season we've collapsed after half-time.

Very overrated manager.

Edited by Mantis

Consistently finding ourselves in winning/respectable drawing positions towards the end of games and then dropping those points is what is happening. Sure we can get into these positions but if you can't hold onto them (as we can't the large majority of the time) then it doesn't really matter that much. This isn't something that's exclusive to Lambert, but we have gotten worse under him.

Of course the players are to blame as well, but tactically Lambert is very poor. He doesn't really seem that good at motivating either, as is evidenced by the countless times this season we've collapsed after half-time.

Very overrated manager.

....would be a more balanced and respectable arguement than just calling him a word removed.

I dont disagree with any of the above bar the last statement.

I cant remember the last time somebody said how good of a manager Paul Lambert was. So I dont think he is overated. I think a lot of people (me included) are sat back waiting (some with hope) that it somehow becomes clear what the hell his plan is, because I am well baffled. 

But I will continue to support him because

a) Theres nobody else I think we could get

b  I think hes fighting a losing battle with a lot of the players who are just not giving their all imo.

Edited by Woodytom