Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Without doubt the dumbest comment I've ever read on this forum. So you expect me (who doesn't work for a football club, has a normal 9-5 job) to be able to name players from around the world that are available, know their value, their wage demands, etc? It's not my job VillaCas, it's Lamberts, and he's paid a fortune to do it, and has scouts to send all around the world to watch football games, advise him, etc.

I would say a lot of our fans had never heard of the majority of our summer signings.

But then when his hands are tied behind his back what else is he supposed to do on such a little budget when he also needs to chop the wage bill dramatically and also be able to sign enough players to cover every position that we needed!! What did people expect to happen??

I lived in the belief that okay as tough as that sounds I am sure we can get by until January which in that time we might have a couple more high earners off the wage bill and another 20m or so for Lambert to strengthen and get in reinforcements and then "we go again" :D

As much of a disaster the last 4 weeks have been for this football club there are still 17 days left for jeers to turn to cheers and as harsh and critical I have been towards Randy Lerner in the last few days I now believe he needs to and will back Paul Lambert. ( although I still think Faulkner is a dick and I always will do. )

Edited by AvfcRigo82

Morning all,

I think it would be best for most supporters to reserve judgement on the manager until he brings in a couple of new players this month, has a couple of others back from injury, and see what type of team he manages to put out on the park and how they perform.

If you look at the league table the one thing it highlights is a win or two can make all the difference. Recent results - and performances - have been very poor but things can change very quickly. I'm now pretty confident a new face or two will arrive before the end of the month. Might not be big-earners like many of the posters on here would like to see - and no doubt Lambert himself - but a couple of good solid players to help improve the problem areas.

Everyone now knows the financial situation at the club and the lack of quality signings isn't down to the manager but lets wait and see how things go between now and the end of the month and see where the club are then.

James Chester and Dale Stephens then? :(

Anyone fancy a bet that the club won't be relegated? :P

Tell me what you know privately then I might! ;)

If we dig back in time this makes interesting reading:

20th November 2012

Villa to give Lambert transfer options

Paul Lambert has met with American owner Randy Lerner to formulate a January transfer window plan of action to help Aston Villa's fight against relegation.

Lerner flew from America for the meeting with his manager ahead of last weekend's 5-0 defeat by Manchester City which helped drop Aston Villa into the bottom three in the Premier League for the first time this season.

After an acrimonious departure from Norwich City, Lambert has presided over Villa's worst start to a season for over 40 years, but Lerner is determined to do all he can to help the manager he chose to replace Alex McLeish in the summer.

Lambert still has the full support of the former Cleveland Browns owner and the meeting was held to discuss the budget for the winter transfer window and the policy on players who appear surplus to requirements at the club.

Earlier this month Lambert said he expected Lerner to be "supportive" in January and sources told ESPN: "It's understood that Lambert has been told he has money for January and the owner intends to do what he can."

Lerner also has to decide whether to allow Stephen Warnock, Alan Hutton and possibly Richard Dunne to leave the club in the January transfer window and what the policy is on striker Darren Bent if the club receive offers for the England international.

Bent has fallen out of favour because of the emergence of Christian Benteke following the Belgian's £7m move from Genk in August. Warnock is currently on loan at Bolton Wanderers, while Hutton remains frozen out. Dunne, who is out of contract in the summer, is still trying to recover from a groin injury which has kept him out all season.

Lambert wants to sign an experienced central defender and has also been linked with NK Maribor striker Robert Beric and he is confident of guiding Villa out of relegation danger, after taking just nine points from their opening 12 Premier League games.

"It's not where you want to be, nobody wants to be there, but you have to bounce back and keep going," Lambert said. "There is a long way to go and the players are giving everything. I will lift them and they will bounce back."

http://soccernet.esp...ptions?cc=5739#

Edited by AvfcRigo82

22nd November 2012

How will Lambert spend Lerner's money?

Exciting news breaking from Villa this week - Paul Lambert has met with owner Randy Lerner, and money will be made available for January transfer window spending!

Headline-making stuff. I'm of the opinion funding was budgeted for the second half of the season, and I don't think I'd be too wide of the mark in thinking a meeting was scheduled weeks if not months ago, regardless of team performance.

It defies any kind of business logic to suggest the overseas-based owner of a football club would not want a catch-up with the coach while visiting his club. I'd guess they have at least a couple of in-person discussions planned during the campaign, but I also know that such routine doesn't lend itself to sensational copy, so we can always go with the tabloid take:

Villa owner Lerner jets in from USA for crisis transfer talks with under-pressure coach Lambert!

Far more dramatic. What the news does provide, however, is fuel for fans to speculate on potential new signings, and provide hope reinforcements may well be on their way to prop up a Villa squad struggling to hold its own in the Premier League. What will be fascinating to see is how Lambert chooses to spend whatever funding is given to him. Will he pull in one or two established talents, or continue with his strategy of targeting young and hungry players?

Villa's past two managers have gone for experience in the last two January transfer windows. Darren Bent was a big signing in January 2011, but £18m was money well spent as his goals effectively saved Gerard Houllier's team from relegation, delivering priceless winning strikes against the likes of Manchester City and Arsenal.

Last January, Alex McLeish had precious few options, but brought in Robbie Keane on a short-term loan from LA Galaxy. Keane only played a handful of games, but the two goals he scored at Wolves, turning a 2-1 deficit into a 3-2 away win, were top-class efforts and clinched what turned out to be three very welcome points. Without those, Villa could be a Championship club now.

Keane's name has again been mentioned in speculation - MLS players with a PL past are always a possibility for month-long loans - but whether Lambert will move for him, or any player, the 'wrong' side of 30 years old is in doubt. The Villa manager, as always, was cagey was quizzed about it this week.

"Would I sign experienced players? It’s not something I’ll turn away from," he said. "If they have got the right attitude to go and do it, and they fit into the group, then I’d look at that. This club is too big to be about one individual or a few individuals. It’s about the team."

Interpret that however you want - I'd say it's a question of attitude as much as experience. Big players? Possibly? Big shots? No way.

Lambert has been circumspect in his spending so far - a touch over £20m on seven players in the summer, rather than a couple of hefty packages on two marquee names, which he could have gone for. The post-Christmas period will be revealing, but a pointer could the first rumour to break - Villa have been linked with a £1.5m move for Hull City defender James Chester.

Chester is 23 and playing Championship football - despite starting at Manchester United, he never made a senior appearance for the club. He'd tick most of the boxes that comprise a 'typical' Lambert signing, but doesn't strike me as the kind of player to instantly give Villa a short-term lift.

Will the Villa manager stick with his longer-term transfer policy, or go for someone of proven quality? We'll find out in a few weeks' time.

http://soccernet.espn.go.com/blog/_/name/astonvilla/id/206/how-will-lambert-spend-lerners-money?cc=5739#

Edited by AvfcRigo82

But then when his hands are tied behind his back what else is he supposed to do on such a little budget when he also needs to chop the wage bill dramatically and also be able to sign enough players to cover every position that we needed!! What did people expect to happen??

• I expected him to strengthen our squad in the key areas we were weak (CB and CM)
  • I expected him to spend wisely (not waste £6m on fullbacks when that position wasn't a priority)
  • I expected us to improve with our performances and results (compared to last season).

None of the above has happened. I'm not blaming Lambert for everything. Yes, there are probably wage restrictions in place, and we have been on a steady decline since MON left. I just don't agree with the people that are blaming Lerner for the entire thing. I think Lambert has been given enough resources to steer us away from releagation.

Edited by DCJonah

So you expect me (who doesn't work for a football club, has a normal 9-5 job) to be able to name players from around the world that are available, know their value, their wage demands, etc? Ridiculous! It's not my job VillaCas, it's Lamberts, and he's paid a fortune to do it. He has scouts to send all around the world to watch football games, advise him, etc.

I would say a lot of our fans had never heard of the majority of our summer signings.

It's very easy to sit there and say "he should have bought in better players in the summer" - if it's so easy to bring these fantastic players in for peanuts, name a few. Thing is, they dont exist.

Also the second part of your post contradicts the first part - should Lambert only buy players who the majority of fans have heard of or is he supposed to send his "huge army of scouts around the world" to uncover these bargain wonder players you keep talking about (but can't name any of)

I think he has 2 games to save his job

RL will not be sacking PL any time soon - take that to the bank

I think he's safe until the end of the season. Lerner doesn't come across as the sort of man to sack someone 6 months into their job.

I still can't believe people want Lambert to stay even if we get relegated though.

Edited by DCJonah

It's very easy to sit there and say "he should have bought in better players in the summer" - if it's so easy to bring these fantastic players in for peanuts, name a few. Thing is, they dont exist.

Also the second part of your post contradicts the first part - should Lambert only buy players who the majority of fans have heard of or is he supposed to send his "huge army of scouts around the world" to uncover these bargain wonder players you keep talking about (but can't name any of)

RL will not be sacking PL any time soon - take that to the bank

to the bloodbank? :D

First it was the wages and now its his mentality you are questioning.

If Lambert had signed Adam, Diame and Berbatov he wouldn't have needed to be up 'for the fight' as we would probably have been in a better position than we are now.

Adam/Diame central midfield partnership with Ireland in the hole with Bent upfront and a decent winger purchased instead of Benteke and you think we'd still be in the bottom three?

Maybe sign Messi and Ronaldo to play wide, with Sneider in the hole. Why stop with Berbatov maybe go with Michael Jordan at CF with Brad Pitt and Tom Cruise to chase the knock-on's

....and Heston Blumental to slice the half-time oranges

I see how this works now

....oh and hover-boots

Amazing! so there isn't a better LB in the world that we could've got for the £3.5m we paid for Bennett? There are obviously players out there that would improve our team (while remaining within our budget). Look at Michu. Swnasea signed him for £2m, do you think the majority of football fans knew about him before he came to the Premier League? I don't...

No it doesn't. I was simply making a point that because we can't name players, it doesn't mean they aren't out there. I guess you were telling everyone that we should sign this young 21 year old Striker from Gent last season?

• Like 1

No it doesn't. I was simply making a point that because we can't name players, it doesn't mean they aren't out there. I guess you were telling everyone that we should sign this young 21 year old Striker from Gent last season?

No you've got it the wrong way round - I don't tell anyone who to sign - I leave that to the professionals

Your point about Michu is weak - there are probably 250 clubs around the world who wish they'd signed Michu so Lambert is hardly a plum for not doing so. Laudrup managed Mallorca last season so its not surprising he got the jump on everyone

Bennett hasn't showed his full potential yet but I'm willing to give him time rather than write him off after a handful of games in one of the poorest squads we've ever had - If it is your style to write young players off after a few games thats your perogative

He'll be our manager 3 years from now whether we're in the Premier League, Championship or League 1. I don't see Lerner going through the managerial hunt again. I think the only way Lambert will go is if he walks, his contract ends or we get bought out and the new owners look at him see his results and sack him. I don't see him going at the end of the season whether we stay up or not.

• Like 1

He'll be our manager 3 years from now whether we're in the Premier League, Championship or League 1. I don't see Lerner going through the managerial hunt again. I think the only way Lambert will go is if he walks, his contract ends or we get bought out and the new owners look at him see his results and sack him. I don't see him going at the end of the season whether we stay up or not.

I hope he is still our manager 3 years from now - I would guess that by then only Baker, Clark, Gardner and Weimann will still be at the club from the players he inheirited

No you've got it the wrong way round - I don't tell anyone who to sign - I leave that to the professionals

And again you miss the point. You didn't know about Benteke last season, I didn't know about him either. But guess what, he's been a very good signing. Amazing isn't it. I don't know how Lambert discovered a player that neither of us had ever heard of!

Your point about Michu is weak - there are probably 250 clubs around the world who wish they'd signed Michu so Lambert is hardly a plum for not doing so. Laudrup managed Mallorca last season so its not surprising he got the jump on everyone

I'm not blaming Lambert for not signing Michu. I was simply making the point (AGAIN) that just because I can't name a player, that doesn't mean they aren't out there. I'd never heard of Michu until Swansea signed him.

Bennett hasn't showed his full potential yet but I'm willing to give him time rather than write him off after a handful of games in one of the poorest squads we've ever had - If it is your style to write young players off after a few games thats your perogative

I haven't given up on Bennett, he's clearly low on confidence and needs taking out of the firing line. I just don't think we can be signing players and waiting for them to show their full potential. We need players that are ready to come in and perform.

I haven't given up on Bennett, he's clearly low on confidence and needs taking out of the firing line. I just don't think we can be signing players and waiting for them to show their full potential. We need players that are ready to come in and perform.

Brilliant

8 players in, £18m spent on fees, minimum wages spend. That only buys you potential not guaranteed performance

The suggestion that you can't be unhappy with our signings without naming realistic replacements is really stupid and shows the defence of lambert is starting to really struggle.

DCjonah is right. Lambert is paid a fortune to find these players, we are not.

I blame Lerner a lot but for the transfer fees of bennet and KEA and for their combined wages I think we could have got a superb midfield player and been better off. Lambert has to take some blame.