Paul Lambert

Pilchard

You don't have to be cynical just look at the last 3 years and the facts. Compared to other teams we are not massively improved in commercial revenue.

I said since Lerner had taken over the club in 2006, and there has been obvious and substantial improvements in regards to the commercial and marketing side (I provided some examples/proof). But it is easy to compare with a different club and make an unfair argument to support a bitter perspective. 

I have experienced the last three years but I am trying to be reasonable about Lerner. Why do you feel so threatened by Randy Lerner's ownership?

If the focus was ambition over cost cutting then Lambert would have been able to bring in more of his top targets

The focus is sustainable ambition which I feel we are trying to attempt under Lambert. If you are not excited by younger players with great potential and building a team for the future, then what are you excited by?

Edited by GENTLEMAN

How can you be specific when you don't have the relative information and therefore your predictions in that list are just as wild as you allege mine to be.

Furthermore if I did choose from your list who I wouldn't have signed then I would be accused of using the benefit of hindsight so no ducking the question at all and no reason to be smug either.

I'm happy for you to use as much hindsight as you like! It's not a difficult question to say who you would have kept or played from the bomb-squad, nor who you wouldn't have signed

I don't beleive it was ever an option, but if we had kept or played the majority of them, then there would have been little or no money to sign new players. Again, in my opinion, if we had kept the likes of Collins and Cuellar and played the likes of Hutton and Warnock, at the expense of signing the majority of the 16 young players then I think we would have been in relegated last season and be in very very serious trouble 2 or 3 years down the line

It's so easy to say "we should have signed better quality and more experienced players" without trying to specify how that might be achieved in practice

P.S. on the plus side love the new avatar

You need to know what budget is available though to ascertain what is achievable and what isn't. The club's scouting network also isn't available to you or I so it isn't easy at all to answer your question and be able to substantiate that answer.

However what I would ask did we really need to purchase Kozak, Bowery, Helenius, or Tonev, when we already had Benteke, Gabby, Weimann, Bent, Fonz, and Albrighton at the club? Are any of the former better than the latter?

Bennett has also been a poor signing and with the exception of Benteke and Vlaar have the rest of Lambert's signings really shone? Not really since we've already had our flirtation with relegation under Lambert's stewardship and are by no means safe from another this season especially how we are playing at the moment.

You also can't say with any degree of certainty that we would have been relegated using members of the bomb squad as probably the worst manager we've ever had failed to relegate us using those players.

Moreover,  just because Lambert bought 16 young players that doesn't mean that those players were the best we could have purchased in the 1m-2m range which seems to be the overriding excuse on here for our lack of quality in the squad.

The players signed were Lambert's choices but who is to say that another manager wouldn't have made better choices with the same restrictions or indeed allocated the budget better by keeping and playing a system that would have better suited the players already here? 

Edited by Morpheus
  • Like 1

Le's be honest... If Lambert ever did walk away end of season or in next year or two who would want to buy most of the players he has signed? most are of poor quality that i struggle to see who would take off our hands.Although we have got rid of the big earners i fail to see how we will get rid of the cheaper players that don't work out that he has signed, be almost like giving them away even after we have paid a fee and a weekly wage.

Edited by Villan4Life
  • Like 1

Not sure that Kozak, Bennett, KEA, Helenius, or Bowery would fetch more.

Because Helenius and Kozak have clearly had enough time to increase their value.

Players signed and nothing else defined by poster I was replying to.

Because Helenius and Kozak have clearly had enough time to increase their value.

But just reason would dictate that it's far too early in their time here to judge whether Villa could get a larger fee.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2523515/Ashley-Young-diver-says-Paul-Lambert.html

He dived to win pen at Old Trafford last season and no doubt will try on Sunday... Madness, just wish Lambert would shut up before games and say no comment.... Did it against West Brom and then calling Fulham team OLD.which probably spurred them on.. just shut up before games mate and stop commenting on opposition

But just reason would dictate that it's far too early in their time here to judge whether Villa could get a larger fee.

I think you should direct that to the poster who made the original statement.

I think you should direct that to the poster who made the original statement.

Which is surely why he said    "The vast majority of the players he signed are probably worth more than the fee we paid for them."

I think that saying "we can do it" in public, with a defence that looks as rocky as ours did last week, could look kind of embarrassing tomorrow afternoon.

I get saying that kind of stuff to the players in private but to say it in any public situation is setting yourself up for a fall. I hope it doesn't out that way and the Villa are up for the game and get 3 points against what is clearly a poor Man Utd team, by their standards.

I'd put that count at four.

Benteke, Vlaar, Lowton and Westwood.

Not exactly a vast majority is it and before you quote Guzan I don't classify him as a Lambert signing.

Luna, Bacuna and Sylla would probably go for more than we paid for them. Even KEA I reckon would go for more. A lot of the other players haven't really had enough time (Kozak, Okore, Helenius, Tonev).