Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I was just wondering if he does sign a creative midfield player where it leaves Westwood?

Passing it to the creative midfielder ;)

http://www.statsbomb.com/2013/09/the-curious-cost-of-the-everton-loans/

I feel like this might be pertinent to the discussion RE Everton.

It does seem like there's an awful lot of people who don't realise that when we say we're "building for the future" that future =/= six months later.

We're short of talent on the ball and still lacking depth, and our attack force which was so devastating last season has hit really bad form. Despite this, our defense is far better and we've actually accrued a very respectable point tally.

This is a really good article by the way.

• Like 1

Think he will get green light for creative midfielder in Jan - I wouldn't imagine he'd get someone any more than £3m although I wouldn't say 100 per cent right now because that could change.

Why is this, his remit was to get rid of all the chaf/big wages? He seems to have managed this so is he still going to have to do this model till he leaves or Randy leaves? I thought he would have got money once he had trimmed it down to thread bare?

£3m isn't going to do it - Lambert needs more support than that

I do wonder how much of Ireland, Given, Bent and to a lesser extent Fonz and Stevens wages we are paying plus N'zog - potentially £250k a week??

If £3m is what the club think will get us a creative mid to develop our style of play we might as well save the money and let some of our Next Gen kids get a crack at PL football

I'd love this to happen but I've closely followed a few of our loanees and they are struggling to make an impact at lower levels - they are nowhere near ready for PL

If £3m is what the club think will get us a creative mid to develop our style of play we might as well save the money and let some of our Next Gen kids get a crack at PL football

Maybe, but if anybody can find a decent creative midfielder for about €3.6m in the European market then I'd trust Lambert to do so. Of course, if he could have done this then surely he would have done it in the Summer but we were linked with players that would never come for such a fee like Kiyotake or Belhanda.

hidden clauses??? its football - its business - not secret service. add-ons aren't included in basic transfer fees. Big problem with real life football management is you can't play the game, decide it didn't work, and go back and play it again because you don't save it :P :P

Here is the thread (Link Below) - (you're are by no means are obliged to respond) - As we have clarified the note in the accounts clarifies that the figure in here £21.7m, not including wages, past payments, amounts that may become payable, installment plans. As has been thrashed out this means the figures are broadly in line with the higher figures in the press - and quite considerably out of line with lower figures suggested by Lambo. As has been stated the figures are audited and will have been checked against legal contracts etc. Its pretty conclusive to be honest - sure Lambo will be able say - 'ah but my figures don't include x,y,z' - but by generally reported figures we didn't get Benteke for £4m, and Lowton for £800k etc......

http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/10285-last-set-of-accounts/

It does seem like there's an awful lot of people who don't realise that when we say we're "building for the future" that future =/= six months later.

We're short of talent on the ball and still lacking depth, and our attack force which was so devastating last season has hit really bad form. Despite this, our defense is far better and we've actually accrued a very respectable point tally.

Yeah, Statsbomb is fantastic.

Maybe, but if anybody can find a decent creative midfielder for about €3.6m in the European market then I'd trust Lambert to do so. Of course, if he could have done this then surely he would have done it in the Summer but we were linked with players that would never come for such a fee like Kiyotake or Belhanda.

Also we need a bit of experience in there to help the younger players. Throwing in more kids is not the answer. 

Why, he hasn't bought a decent midfielder yet.

I was just wondering if he does sign a creative midfield player where it leaves Westwood?

Passing it to the creative midfielder ;)

Wow, what an interesting article!

£3m isn't a lot but you can get some good bargains on the continent. I mean, didn't Vlaar only cost us about £2-3m?

Thats different and ive commented on it in here before. U can get a good player in any position for 3m if you look hard enough and have the right scouts. Only exception is a creative mid. A quality one is very hard to come across and u have no chance at that price. Utd have been trying to get one for 18 months and they have the dosh but still cant get one

£3m isn't a lot but you can get some good bargains on the continent. I mean, didn't Vlaar only cost us about £2-3m?

Thats different and ive commented on it in here before. U can get a good player in any position for 3m if you look hard enough and have the right scouts. Only exception is a creative mid. A quality one is very hard to come across and u have no chance at that price. Utd have been trying to get one for 18 months and they have the dosh but still cant get one

It's not impossible, just more difficult than some of the other positions.

Think he will get green light for creative midfielder in Jan - I wouldn't imagine he'd get someone any more than £3m although I wouldn't say 100 per cent right now because that could change.

Why is this, his remit was to get rid of all the chaf/big wages? He seems to have managed this so is he still going to have to do this model till he leaves or Randy leaves? I thought he would have got money once he had trimmed it down to thread bare?

How has that changed  ?- I think a lot of people read

"Get rid of the high earners and reduce the debts"   

As 

"Get rid of the high earners and reduce the debts - then go and shop for some more big fee \ big wage players"

Which never made any sense to me - why would you reduce debt and wages - just to let the figure go up again..........? 

Ive said before if Randy only provided £1.5m last jan when we were starring relegation in the face - why would he put (big) money in now.  Throw in vague sightings of attending 1 match in 12 months, its really hard to argue that he has any interest at all in Aston Villa - Painful but true.... 

I'd love this to happen but I've closely followed a few of our loanees and they are struggling to make an impact at lower levels - they are nowhere near ready for PL

Yeah i haven't been following our loan players that closely, hasn't Grealish done pretty well?

I wonder what it is that makes our players struggle to take the early step into senior football when Southampton, Arsenal and other clubs do it on a regular basis?

What about Tonev?

What about Tonev? :)

As 

"Get rid of the high earners and reduce the debts - then go and shop for some more big fee \ big wage players"

Which never made any sense to me - why would you reduce debt and wages - just to let the figure go up again..........?

The problem has always been players on big wages when they don't deserve them. The club don't seem to have a problem with Gabby.

Whether we'll push the boat out a bit more once all the high-earning deadwood are gone is another matter of course.

• Like 1

Because the majority of them were awful.

You only have to look where they're playing now

I do not disagree. But HH keeps mentioning the budget and hinting Lambert would prefer experience players? I am confused.

He'd prefer good players, not the shitty experienced ones Villa have/had

How has that changed ?- I think a lot of people read

As

Ive said before if Randy only provided £1.5m last jan when we were starring relegation in the face - why would he put (big) money in now. Throw in vague sightings of attending 1 match in 12 months, its really hard to argue that he has any interest at all in Aston Villa - Painful but true....

I didnt say buy big players on big wages, but a more realistic structure. If u or anyone one on here thinks we can remain in premiership for a long period buying players at 1-1.5 mill then i think your wrong. If it was the case league 1 clubs would be in it. This is all my own opinion of course.

Put it to u this way, the reason why we stayed up last year is because we forked out 7 mill on a player. 7 mill is a more reasonable price for a player of prem ability and still not expensive

As 

The problem has always been players on big wages when they don't deserve them. The club don't seem to have a problem with Gabby.

Whether we'll push the boat out a bit more once all the high-earning deadwood are gone is another matter of course.

I will turn that on its head- and say "you won't get the quality of players in numbers - without paying the big wages" - Theres always a risk a big earner won't work out - but at the moment the club are focusing totally on players who didn't work out - Just look at Liverpool who had Carroll, Downing, Allen, totaling around £90m - but they didn't bleat on about it for 3 seasons, they brought Sturridge, Coutinho, Mignollet ..etc.

And lets not forget Randy is a very rich man - he could underwrite a spending\wages spree if he wanted to....

• Like 1

How has that changed ?- I think a lot of people read

As

Ive said before if Randy only provided £1.5m last jan when we were starring relegation in the face - why would he put (big) money in now. Throw in vague sightings of attending 1 match in 12 months, its really hard to argue that he has any interest at all in Aston Villa - Painful but true....

I didnt say buy big players on big wages, but a more realistic structure. If u or anyone one on here thinks we can remain in premiership for a long period buying players at 1-1.5 mill then i think your wrong. If it was the case league 1 clubs would be in it. This is all my own opinion of course.

Put it to u this way, the reason why we stayed up last year is because we forked out 7 mill on a player. 7 mill is a more reasonable price for a player of prem ability and still not expensive

Im not disagreeing - and just why can a club getting 36,000 home crowds only bring in players that could be afforded by many championship clubs ?