Paul Lambert

Pilchard

It's pretty frustrating just how tight our budget is. We must have quartered the wage bill over the last couple of years, and Everton have always been meant to be the skint ones (although they have never been as skint as their fans like to make out), we have to watch them sign all these players that would vastly improve us. Surely City would pay a large amount of Barry's wage?

Originally we were told it wasn't the fee but the wages that were a problem, now we are being told high fees are also a problem. The story changes each time it needs to.

Edited by dodgyknees

And you have absolutely no evidence whatsoever to prove that he would have failed here. Conversely i have produced evidence as to why he would have been a successful signing which really cannot be argued with so no it isn't an assumption.

Edit. He played for Spurs with young players and he played for Man U with younger players and was successful for both teams so your other point is eh, pointless.

I've never said he would have failed here. I said, if you bother to actually read what was written, that it cannot be proved EITHER WAY and it's all just assumption. 

You haven't produced evidence of anything as there is no evidence of how he'd play at a club that he's never played for. You are assuming he'd play well for us, others are assuming he wouldn't.

It's pretty frustrating just how tight our budget is.  We must have quartered the wage bill over the last couple of years, and Everton have always been meant to be the skint ones (although they have never been as skint as their fans like to make out), we have to watch them sign all these players that would vastly improve us.  Surely City would pay a large amount of Barry's wage?

It is frustrating, and it sounds very much like we're being operated under a Championship wage structure. For HairyHands to come out and say we would not be able to afford a player as distinctly average as Charlie Adam is pretty depressing. How are we meant to operate as a Premier League team if we can't even accommodate Premier League players into our wage budget?

There is no evidence that he would have or wouldn't have. Football is about assumptions and opinions, just as some assume results, line ups etc. A lot of us assumed our defence would struggle without Vlaar, and we did. But they might not next time.

And you have absolutely no evidence whatsoever to prove that he would have failed here. Conversely i have produced evidence as to why he would have been a successful signing which really cannot be argued with so no it isn't an assumption.

Edit. He played for Spurs with young players and he played for Man U with younger players and was successful for both teams so your other point is eh, pointless.

I've never said he would have failed here. I said, if you bother to actually read what was written, that it cannot be proved EITHER WAY and it's all just assumption. 

You haven't produced evidence of anything as there is no evidence of how he'd play at a club that he's never played for. You are assuming he'd play well for us, others are assuming he wouldn't.

I've produced more than enough evidence and so has Berbatov who has been a success with all the teams he has played for so let it go.

It's pretty frustrating just how tight our budget is.  We must have quartered the wage bill over the last couple of years, and Everton have always been meant to be the skint ones (although they have never been as skint as their fans like to make out), we have to watch them sign all these players that would vastly improve us.  Surely City would pay a large amount of Barry's wage?

It is frustrating, and it sounds very much like we're being operated under a Championship wage structure. For HairyHands to come out and say we would not be able to afford a player as distinctly average as Charlie Adam is pretty depressing. How are we meant to operate as a Premier League team if we can't even accommodate Premier League players into our wage budget?

We can afford to bring better players in its just that the chairman no longer wants to spend the money for his own reasons.

We can afford to bring better players in its just that the chairman no longer wants to spend the money for his own reasons.

Can we? What makes you say that?

just about to hit the sack to can't enter a debate pal but Berbatov is a waste of time discussing. Yes, he is a great player. Lambert would take him every day of the week but like many others he is miles outwith the budget. The same goes for Gareth Barry. The same goes for Lukaku. How many hints does the manager need to drop that there isn't money for that type of signing - just the other week he said WBA have more spending power.

Will Lambert allow N'Zogbia to return when match fit? 

If he left the club tomorrow would I be upset? Not at all.

You wouldn't be upset that we'd have to start all over again and throw away the relative stability we've had recently?

stability at what cost and what objective? Stability is great if what you have is doing OK.

Who knows what the future will bring but as with last season it aint very good, and even the most blinkered fan of Lambert would have difficulty to provide evidence to counter that

But we are doing OK. One bad result doesn't change that. It's almost as if people have forgotten where we've come from in the past 3 seasons. I'd take stability and security, and I guess you can say mediocrity over relegation battles any day. That's where we are right now, and we don't just go from there to challenging for Europe in 1 season, unless we're spending big.

Do you honestly believe we won't be in a relegation battle this season? Forget Man U. we are due an absolute kicking the the way we're playing. It's those below us I'm looking at and we are amongst the most predictably dull and dreadful in there.

Yes I do. We have shown we can be much better than this. So for us to be this poor and still pulling out results for the most part bodes well. The discussion was on how we are doing now, which I'd say is pretty sufficient. It's interesting though how forward-thinking we can become when we try to focus on the negatives. Relegation? Nope.

Edited by Keyblade

just about to hit the sack to can't enter a debate pal but Berbatov is a waste of time discussing. Yes, he is a great player. Lambert would take him every day of the week but like many others he is miles outwith the budget. The same goes for Gareth Barry. The same goes for Lukaku. How many hints does the manager need to drop that there isn't money for that type of signing - just the other week he said WBA have more spending power.

Will Lambert allow N'Zogbia to return when match fit?

Can't remember where but he said he would wait and see when he's back, I guess he won't rule him out completely.

Berbatov played OK yesterday but for all his fancy back heeled flicks etc the player that made the most difference for me was Scott Parker. He completely bossed the midfield and allowed Fulham's flair players to do their thing.

What we are lacking through out our whole team is quality. Yesterday Westwood got a lot of stick for his performance but at least the guy was trying which was more than could be said for the largely anonimous KEA, Benteke and Weimann. We have been papering over the cracks for quite a few games expecting to to be as lucky as we were Southampton every week. Next up are a Manure side reeling from 2 home defeats in a row and I would imagine looking to give someone a really good hiding. I fear that we will be on the end of this backlash.

I watched Arsenal v Everton after our match and Martinez has really got Everton playing some phenomenal passing football and they actually completely bossed Arsenal for the whole of the first half and played them of the park. This is a team who many considered our main rivals a couple of years ago but without as much cash as us. Oh how things have changed, they will challenge for the top 4 this season and are better than the likes of Liverpool.

So why can't we get in some quality, even on loan? Well HairyHands tells us that we do not have the funds available? How is this? We are in the most cash rich league in the world? We are the biggest team within 100 miles of our ground and yet we can't apparently compete financially with the little black country team down the road? To be honest I am sick of the excuses and the poor quality players stuck out in my teams colours every week! Yesterday none of the players brought by PL looked like they were worth the fee we paid for them.

KEA was the invisible man, Benteke looked like a conference version of Heskey, Bacuna is never a right back and Tonev looks like a guy from my local park who's won the chance to play in the Premiership.With teams like Fulham, Palace and Stoke improving  week on week I do fear that we will be dragged backwards into the relegation fight.

• Like 2

Berbatov played OK yesterday but for all his fancy back heeled flicks etc the player that made the most difference for me was Scott Parker. He completely bossed the midfield and allowed Fulham's flair players to do their thing.

What we are lacking through out our whole team is quality. Yesterday Westwood got a lot of stick for his performance but at least the guy was trying which was more than could be said for the largely anonimous KEA, Benteke and Weimann. We have been papering over the cracks for quite a few games expecting to to be as lucky as we were Southampton every week. Next up are a Manure side reeling from 2 home defeats in a row and I would imagine looking to give someone a really good hiding. I fear that we will be on the end of this backlash.

I watched Arsenal v Everton after our match and Martinez has really got Everton playing some phenomenal passing football and they actually completely bossed Arsenal for the whole of the first half and played them of the park. This is a team who many considered our main rivals a couple of years ago but without as much cash as us. Oh how things have changed, they will challenge for the top 4 this season and are better than the likes of Liverpool.

So why can't we get in some quality, even on loan? Well HairyHands tells us that we do not have the funds available? How is this? We are in the most cash rich league in the world? We are the biggest team within 100 miles of our ground and yet we can't apparently compete financially with the little black country team down the road? To be honest I am sick of the excuses and the poor quality players stuck out in my teams colours every week! Yesterday none of the players brought by PL looked like they were worth the fee we paid for them.

KEA was the invisible man, Benteke looked like a conference version of Heskey, Bacuna is never a right back and Tonev looks like a guy from my local park who's won the chance to play in the Premiership.With teams like Fulham, Palace and Stoke improving  week on week I do fear that we will be dragged backwards into the relegation fight.

Spot on, on all points.  It isn't good enough from top to bottom.  The old saying about paying peanuts and getting monkeys is correct.  It doesn't help though that we've got such a limited manager who plays basic, unrefined football. 

As i've stated before it is my belief that we are being prepared for a sale and the chairman wants to balance the books to make us more saleable.

However to answer your question directly extra revenue from TV, the chairman's financial clout, coupled with a reduction in wage turnover.

Reference to you bolded text.

Ha, ha. VillaCas stated that Berbatov was 'crap' so if he is crap then what does that make our team due to the fact that our midfield were chasing his shadow all day and it isn't pointless as it is the perfect comparison yet you refuse to accept it.

I "refuse to accept it" because you're basing it all on one game.

Again a complete change of the goalposts and again a pointless debate since i'm not basing his abilities on just one game as my previous comments bare out.

Give it up mate as he has proven in previous games against us and when playing for other teams he is a quality player and one which we have all been crying out for some time.

I'm sure if he had been our player and put in the performances he has previously with Fulham then you, VillaCas and vast majority of this site would be saying that he has been a great signing.

Just sour grapes which I find a tad pathetic. 

You are though - you just did it again. Your argument is basically "Berbatov played well in 2 games against us over the past year therefore he is a fantastic player". You seem to be completely ignoring that he's been shit for most of the season.

Sour grapes about what? This is like the first game he's turned up in in about 2 months FFS.

• Like 1

Spot on, on all points.  It isn't good enough from top to bottom.  The old saying about paying peanuts and getting monkeys is correct.  It doesn't help though that we've got such a limited manager who plays basic, unrefined football. 

Maybe if the manager could buy decent players, he could get them to express themselves a little better. The problem is with buying like we have is that they might have ability but do they have the intelligence to "step up" - I am not sure they do.

As i've stated before it is my belief that we are being prepared for a sale and the chairman wants to balance the books to make us more saleable.

However to answer your question directly extra revenue from TV, the chairman's financial clout, coupled with a reduction in wage turnover.

I really hope so as Lerner is proving himself to be a bloody awful owner and seems to have taken a leaf out of HDE's book of how to run a team into the ground before selling lumbering the next owner with a stagnating team struggling to stay in the league.

Firstly, I do hope so.

Secondly, these are all reasons why we should atleast be competitive in the transfer market. Sadly, there have been no recent signs that this is actually the case. Everything you say is right, yet we are still left looking for players who will sign for sub Premier league wages.