Paul Lambert

Pilchard

So 'Berbatov is crap, if not crap then certainly over the hill.'

Interesting description since the last two times we've played Fulham he has been the best player on the pitch and didn't Lambert want Dempsey and where is he playing now?

So basically if a player plays well against us they must be good?

Eh no he was already eh, good for Spurs and then Man U and then Fulham but keep trying Mantis. 

The opinion is wrong because it has been proven wrong.

This site has been crying out for a number 10 or an AM has it not. What happened when Robbie keane joined us? We suddenly had that number ten and even under Mcleish with Keane in the team we actually played some decent football.

I think you'll agree that Berbatov is at least on a par with keane ability wise so the introduction of Berbatov to our side would have had the same or even been more influential as Berbatov proved last season what his contribution would be even to a team like Fulham.

Sorry folks but i was right about Berbatov's ability and it was proven today again against players who were nowhere near the same in class.  

The opinion is of a scenario that never happened, therefore neither you nor VillaCas have been proven wrong. Saying "Keane came in and did well therefore Berbatov would have done really well" is pointless really as you're comparing something that did happen to something that is just pure speculation.

Don't think anyone's doubting that Berbatov has bags of his ability, it's his attitude and consistency that's in question.

Interesting description since the last two times we've played Fulham he has been the best player on the pitch and didn't Lambert want Dempsey and where is he playing now?

Eh no he was already eh, good for Spurs and then Man U and then Fulham but keep trying Mantis. 

Think you're missing the point here. The argument is not that he was never good but that he isn't that good now. Despite today's performance he's been poor for most of the season.

Edited by Mantis

Even sidwell looked like a superstar. I just find it baffling that alot of our so called 'flair' players did not influence the game once. Weimann anonymous for the whole game, Westwood was poor, Delph wasnt his usual self, Agbonlahor showed glimpses of an attacking threat and Benteke looked as if he strolled through the game without breaking sweat.

I didnt think we had any flair players

Delph maybe you could say has flair and Agbonlahor when he's up for it and firing on all cylinders not like today

All Westwood does is pass the ball sideways and deliver shit corners.

Weimann is a waste of space and runs alot and Benteke has made Heskey look prolific in recent games

Westwood has to pass sideways as we are too narrow and there is too much of a gap between midfield and attack, he can't play it down the flanks because Gabby and Weimann come in field, this gives Benteke little chance to control and pass as these two are too close. Get them to stick to the flanks more and space will be created, they are both coming in and surrounding Benteke and what with the narrow midfield we are easy to defend against and have no space to attack.

• Like 1

It can work but we are more 4-2-1-2-1. A long line through the middle.

Which is caused by Gab and Andi coming in field.. I doubt this is the tactic!

No intelligence...

Edited by dodgyknees

This site has been crying out for a number 10 or an AM has it not. What happened when Robbie keane joined us? We suddenly had that number ten and even under Mcleish with Keane in the team we actually played some decent football.

I think you'll agree that Berbatov is at least on a par with keane ability wise so the introduction of Berbatov to our side would have had the same or even been more influential as Berbatov proved last season what his contribution would be even to a team like Fulham.

Sorry folks but i was right about Berbatov's ability and it was proven today again against players who were nowhere near the same in class.  

The opinion is of a scenario that never happened, therefore neither you nor VillaCas have been proven wrong. Saying "Keane came in and did well therefore Berbatov would have done really well" is pointless really as you're comparing something that did happen to something that is just pure speculation.

Don't think anyone's doubting that Berbatov has bags of his ability, it's his attitude and consistency that's in question.

Think you're missing the point here. The argument is not that he was never good but that he isn't that good now. Despite today's performance he's been poor for most of the season.

Mantis you have the distinct inability to read your own posts when you want to change the goalposts. Please read the bolded part of your post which i replied to so eh no i'm not missing the point at all and the main point of this debate was the continual mocking of my opinion on Berbatov's abilities which has been proven again to be unfounded.

I'm finding it hard to even entertain the argument regarding Berbatov. His age, his wages and his attitude are all extremely bad reasons for anybody to sign him. Yes, he may have a portion of the technical ability he had earlier, but why anybody would want to sign him (especially a Villa fan) is beyond me.

Better yet, basing the reasoning for signing him on last seasons form? Pretty sure Benteke did a lot better than him and even though he is out of form, he still has scored more goals than him this season. For what it is worth, Kozak has scored more than him too.

Lambert wouldn't sign him in a million years and I'm very thankful that we have a manager that wouldn't be fooled by such players looking for a quick money maker.

I have to ask you mate, would you really sign him? Would you offer him even £60k a week? Would you pay him more than every single one of our players? If you would, what benefit do you think it would bring to the team? If you wouldn't then there isn't really much to talk about on the subject.

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 1

Yet he was instrumental in Fulham beating us today and when he was available he was exactly the type of player that all of us were crying out for. What age was Robbie Keane when we signed him on loan and what league did he play in and was Keane influential in our team when he was with us?

Reference to you bolded text.

Ha, ha. VillaCas stated that Berbatov was 'crap' so by your own defination that Berbatov 'has bags of ability' then you are agreeing that VillaCas was indeed wrong. Secondly if Berbatov is crap then what does that say for our team due to the fact that our midfield were chasing his shadow all day and it isn't pointless as it is the perfect comparison with Keane.

Struggling yet again Mantis.  :)

Edited by Morpheus

Reference to you bolded text.

Ha, ha. VillaCas stated that Berbatov was 'crap' so if he is crap then what does that make our team due to the fact that our midfield were chasing his shadow all day and it isn't pointless as it is the perfect comparison yet you refuse to accept it.

I "refuse to accept it" because you're basing it all on one game.

Oh and I wonder if anyone will use berbatov to mock morpheous tonight?

Berbatov is a liability - he turns up for one in ten games - playing for a transfer in January at the moment

We would have been relegated if we had signed Berbatov

Not only biased but wrong.

Berbatov was Fulham's top scorer last season with fifteen goals and no we wouldn't have been relegated as he would have had an even more positive affect than Keane did under McLeish.

Pure assumption.

Nope based on his form last season is not assuming anything and the way in which he played against us today again.

Of course it's an assumption. So you think players play the same at whichever club they're at?  So Ireland played as well for us as he did at Man city, Nzogbia as well for us as he did at Wigan?

To say we would have been relegated with Berbatov or saying "he would have had an even more positive affect than Keane did under McLeish"  is frankly ridiculous because nobody knows what would have happened if he'd signed for us.

• Like 1

The players really play for Lambert. They have the desire to win and are willing to work for the shirt.

It stands to reason, then, that they are executing exactly what they are taught throughout the week. There are a couple of glaring things that do my head in:

- We defend zonally and do not press or track, hoping to hit on the counter.

- We play extremely narrow with Wiemann and Agbonlahor too advanced.

- We play what we see, not what we know

The last one is difficult to explain, so let me use an example from yesterday. Herd slides in a good tackle and the ball breaks for KEA who is running towards his own goal to retain possession. He immediately passes 20 yards to Herd who is still getting off the ground, who has no choice but to hoof as he is off balance and surrounded.

KEA's playing what he sees (Herd), not what he knows (their forwards are advanced, he has room to trap and turn or hold up and draw a foul). We do this too much in a game. We aren't very creative so doing this just makes us predictable and easy to defend.

If he left the club tomorrow would I be upset? Not at all.

You wouldn't be upset that we'd have to start all over again and throw away the relative stability we've had recently?

stability at what cost and what objective? Stability is great if what you have is doing OK.

Who knows what the future will bring but as with last season it aint very good, and even the most blinkered fan of Lambert would have difficulty to provide evidence to counter that

But we are doing OK. One bad result doesn't change that. It's almost as if people have forgotten where we've come from in the past 3 seasons. I'd take stability and security, and I guess you can say mediocrity over relegation battles any day. That's where we are right now, and we don't just go from there to challenging for Europe in 1 season, unless we're spending big.