Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I am and have been in full support of Paul Lambert, but that does not stop me cringing at some of the basic lack of skills I have been witnessing at home of late.I do not subscribe to the football being as bad as under McLeish or Houllier, but some of the basic skills are left wanting......perhaps if we got out there its harder than it looks.

Hoillier's football was a million times better. At least we could actually string a few passes together and not hoof it every five minutes under him.

You might have missed it but we don't have players like Downing and Young any more.

I honestly think people just have short memories.

There is not one single movement from open play that has come close to our football now from the McLeish era.

I'd happily be proven wrong if you can find one on YouTube

We play as much hoof football now as we did under McLeish. In fact it's even worse now because we have absolutely no width in the team now because Lerner sold all our wingers and Lambert has banished any ideas of getting it wide. Now it's just hoof hoof hoof.

If you're happy with the dross served up at Villa Park under Lambert then so be it. Some of us though have a bit of pride left in the club.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but not everyone is entitled to have their opinion taken seriously and I'm afraid I just can't take this seriously.

There is no similarity between the two, you want to compare the two take a look at the team sheet against Spurs in the home game under McLeish. We had 6 defenders in the side and Heskey on the wing and you claim we had more width under McLeish. 

Sorry but this is nonsense.

What I see is us hoofing the ball up to the centre forward just like we did under McLeish. I see us losing most of our home games and surrendering more possession to the opposition team than I can ever remember from a Villa team. I see a squad packed out with cheap foreigners and lower league players who are not fit to wear the claret and blue of Aston Villa, and I see a club in decline. Just what the hell had you been watching over the last couple of years?

I see a squad packed out with cheap foreigners and lower league players who are not fit to wear the claret and blue of Aston Villa, and I see a club in decline. Just what the hell had you been watching over the last couple of years?

And yet these "cheap foreigners and lower league" players have shown more than the so-called "experienced" British players did under McLeish.

And saying we're in decline is just plain wrong. We may not be not be in our best spell but we're doing better than we were a year or two ago.

Edited by Mantis

Honest question and I don't mean this in a nasty, malicious way so please don't take it this way. But, if you think everything is such a shambles, why do you continue to support Villa? You obviously don't get any enjoyment from it so what's the point?

Honest question and I don't mean this in a nasty, malicious way so please don't take it this way. But, if you think everything is such a shambles, why do you continue to support Villa? You obviously don't get any enjoyment from it so what's the point?

some people like revelling in failures and saying I told you so, clinging bitterly to the past

What a stupid question.

• Like 3

I honestly think people just have short memories.

There is not one single movement from open play that has come close to our football now from the McLeish era.

I'd happily be proven wrong if you can find one on YouTube

We play as much hoof football now as we did under McLeish. In fact it's even worse now because we have absolutely no width in the team now because Lerner sold all our wingers and Lambert has banished any ideas of getting it wide. Now it's just hoof hoof hoof.

If you're happy with the dross served up at Villa Park under Lambert then so be it. Some of us though have a bit of pride left in the club.

Everyone is entitled to an opinion but not everyone is entitled to have their opinion taken seriously and I'm afraid I just can't take this seriously.

There is no similarity between the two, you want to compare the two take a look at the team sheet against Spurs in the home game under McLeish. We had 6 defenders in the side and Heskey on the wing and you claim we had more width under McLeish. 

Sorry but this is nonsense.

No we don't play as much hoofball as we did under AM. I do fear we are drifting in that direction though. - a worrying pattern is emerging where a midfielder round about the halfway line - runs out options, plays the ball back to a defender - who fears being caught in possession - so plays it back to Guzan who punts it upfield. It happened time and time again on sunday.  

some people like revelling in failures and saying I told you so, clinging bitterly to the past

As opposed to someone who like a nodding dog sits there and accepts every bit of shit thrown at them without a single word of objection. It seems apathy rules at Villa Park these days.

• Like 1

Is it something you can just switch off?

And surely if it was you could have asked this to anyone who was unhappy with Mcleish.

Just what the hell had you been watching over the last couple of years?

I've been watching a manager making brave decisions for the long term good of this club while getting rid of the high paid wasters that had grown fat of this club.

I've been watching a manager try and build a squad on a shoe string while continuing to reduce the wage bill.

I've been watching a manager trying to take a young and hungry bunch of players and build them into a team rather than signing the sort of rubbish that McLeish landed us with.

I've been watching a manager trying his best with really limited resources to turn this club around after the mess Lerner and his previous appointments made of it.

What is happening now at the club might not be perfect but its a hell of a lot better than under McLeish but that ultimately is your problem if you can't see that.

• Like 4

Because once you support a club, you stick with them? Pretty obvious answer.

Well stick with them & get behind them then.

Do you think they purposely go out to play badly or to loose?

We're no worse than any of the teams around us & better than some. Mid table is an improvement after 3 successive relegation battles-What did people expect? A top 6 finish?

I've been watching a manager making brave decisions for the long term good of this club while getting rid of the high paid wasters that had grown fat of this club.

I've been watching a manager try and build a squad on a shoe string while continuing to reduce the wage bill.

I've been watching a manager trying to take a young and hungry bunch of players and build them into a team rather than signing the sort of rubbish that McLeish landed us with.

I've been watching a manager trying his best with really limited resources to turn this club around after the mess Lerner and his previous appointments made of it.

What is happening now at the club might not be perfect but its a hell of a lot better than under McLeish but that ultimately is your problem if you can't see that.

The main problem at the Villa is the chairman. He wants a team on the cheap and has sold practically every single asset at the club and replaced them with players who are unfit for a club of this stature. if Ellis had pulled this stunt he'd probably have had his house burned down by now, but the incompetent American owner gets away scot free. The only thing I'll give Lambert is that he has had his hands tied behind his back with the lack of money but that doesn't excuse his awful tactics and poor signings (Benteke aside). Christ even his substitutions are the stuff of nightmares! The signing of Kovac for £7m is just laughable when we were crying out for a bit of creativity. He's served up some of the most humiliating results in our club's entire history yet some still cling onto the baffling idea that he's a Brian Clough just waiting to blossom. Sorry, I just don't see it and I'm entitled to say it as well. That's what these forums are all about.

Absolutely. What a truly daft question. He must be a very young fan to come out with something as stupid as that.

The thing about our playing style and its perceived direction is that we've had a really tough start. I think our average possession stats for example are skewed by the fact that we've had to play Spurs, Chelsea, Arsenal City and Liverpool in our first 8 games.

I don't want a manager who makes brave decisions.

I want one who makes the right decisions.

Not saying that isn't Lambert. Just Saying.

I think they are one and the same thing personally in terms of the decisions he is making generally.

A very simple question for you, given that you clearly don't want Lambert who would you want? And who do you think could do a better job with the resources he is given?

Edit - posted before your edit.

Well stick with them & get behind them then.Do you think they purposely go out to play badly or to loose?We're no worse than any of the teams around us & better than some. Mid table is an improvement after 3 successive relegation battles-What did people expect? A top 6 finish?

Who said I don't get behind them? I follow Villa home and away and put my money where my mouth is. That gives me the right to have a moan when the game is over. We're not all nodding dogs you know.

The main problem at the Villa is the chairman. He wants a team on the cheap and has sold practically every single asset at the club and replaced them with players who are unfit for a club of this stature. if Ellis had pulled this stunt he'd probably have had his house burned down by now, but the incompetent American owner gets away scot free. The only thing I'll give Lambert is that he has had his hands tied behind his back with the lack of money but that doesn't excuse his awful tactics and poor signings (Benteke aside). Christ even his substitutions are the stuff of nightmares! The signing of Kovac for £7m is just laughable when we were crying out for a bit of creativity. He's served up some of the most humiliating results in our club's entire history yet some still cling onto the baffling idea that he's a Brian Clough just waiting to blossom. Sorry, I just don't see it and I'm entitled to say it as well. That's what these forums are all about.

Why even quote what Trent said? You didn't respond to a single point he made. You've obviously made your mind up and can't be convinced otherwise because even when an extremely well written explanation of why you might be being a bit over the top.

I reiterate. What is the point of supporting the team if you hate every aspect of it? There is no enjoyment to be found, obviously.

Edited by StefanAVFC