Paul Lambert

Pilchard

Also, is there ever going to be a game where we actually play well for the majority of the game?

Too many, 'we never really got going until it was too late', for my liking.

Don't think you will get some on here understanding what your saying, about playing well.

As long as we win ,everything is rosy...irrespective of the quality of the football leading up to the win.

It's one of the reasons progressing will be difficult at our club.

When you spend c 20 million on the likes of bent with his limitations....it's not just the size of the budget that's the problem.its more to do with the quality of the signing.

There are oodles of examples of players like sissoko signed for 2.2 mill

We simply sign lightweight midfielders in the main.

I think in fairness, Sissoko is on around £40K a week

He's on a lot more than that probably in the region of 70,000.

Then the problem, is clear.

When you spend c 20 million on the likes of bent with his limitations....it's not just the size of the budget that's the problem.its more to do with the quality of the signing.

Well the problem certainly isn't that the manager missed out on signing him as you seemed to insinuate in your "Sissoko went for £2.2 million" post.

• Like 1

Regarding the way we play.

Some stats from the mirror that some may find interesting.

Villa have had the most flick-ons with 64 so far - thanks largely no doubt to Christian Benteke's aerial prowess.

They are also the third ranked team in terms of playing long passes with these attributing to 15 per cent of their distribution.

And they have launched the ball up the pitch 153 times so far playing hopeful long balls, which is the third highest total in the top-flight.

Guess who are the only side to be bracketed with Villa in all three categories?

Yes, West Ham, who are widely regarded as the biggest exponents of long ball football in the top-flight under Big Sam Allardyce.

Villa have had the most flick-ons with 64 so far - thanks largely no doubt to Christian Benteke's aerial prowess.

They are also the third ranked team in terms of playing long passes with these attributing to 15 per cent of their distribution.

And they have launched the ball up the pitch 153 times so far playing hopeful long balls, which is the third highest total in the top-flight.

Yes, West Ham, who are widely regarded as the biggest exponents of long ball football in the top-flight under Big Sam Allardyce.

And yet some people seem to think that it is the most ridiculous statement to say we use long ball tactics

And yet some people seem to think that it is the most ridiculous statement to say we use long ball tactics

Yet others believe everything they read in the Mirror

Those stats are taken from Opta.

Are you suggesting the mirror have lied and lied about where the stats are from?

Well the problem certainly isn't that the manager missed out on signing him as you seemed to insinuate in your "Sissoko went for £2.2 million" post.

So is your arguement saying every that every player the quality of sissoko who gets sold for 2.2 mill gets c £70,000 per week

Is it not feasible to assume other players with similar quality to sissoko could settle for a salary similar to Benteke's original deal.

Most villa fans are in support of Paul Lambert and so am I....the players he has bought may well prove to be ok in time, we all have our own opinions on that.

What I am saying is right now in the prem we are serving up low grade football....thats my opinion.

Poor ball control, poor ball retention, conceding soft goals....passing ability is mixed.

That is not construed to say we do not support the team....of course we do.

Just saying what I see.

Edited by TRO

Are you suggesting the mirror have lied and lied about where the stats are from?

I'm suggesting that the Mirror is akin to the Beano - I take everything that's written in both comics with a pinch of salt.

I didn't read anyone moaning when Gareth Barry used to continually launch the ball in the general direction of Carews bonce either

Also, as the poster above you rightly says-How can you formulate a true stat after 5 games? Playing Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool is a bit different to playing  3 mid table sides.

I'm suggesting that the Mirror is akin to the Beano - I take everything that's written in both comics with a pinch of salt.

I didn't read anyone moaning when Gareth Barry used to continually launch the ball in the general direction of Carews bonce either

Also, as the poster above you rightly says-How can you formulate a true stat after 5 games? Playing Arsenal, Chelsea, Liverpool is a bit different to playing 3 mid table sides.

But you and others didn't mention who we played. You had a go at anyone who suggested we played long ball. Yes maybe it's down to the opposition but the fact is we have been playing a long ball style of football at times this year.

I don't see why that article seems to be so controversial? Anybody who watches our games, especially home ones, will know that whenever we are unable to counter, our plan B is simply to hoof it to Benteke. Happened time and again last season and not been very different so far this.

After Benteke went off we scored a tap in and we were far from the better team for the rest of the game.

So tap in's don't count then?  So we complain at our defending but we shut a side out and we aren't the better team. Give me more of those results please.

Well, thats the point. We wont get more of those results playing as bad as we did.

If a United or Chelsea win a similar type of game its a sign of champions but if we do it we are awful :o

This for me is interesting

I believe rightly or wrongly they have developed performance first and result second and paradoxically get the result most of the time....because their performances are generally good confidence grows.

We conversely go for result first performance second and doing so win many games with a not so good performance in terms of the technical ability applied....we are a kind of smash and grab team that lack real substance.

You don't develop confidence relying solely on a knock out punch...ring craft is what does that.

I thought things would change, but so far not for me.

Generally speaking goals are scored from defenders errors....some from creative skills by the attacker or a combination where the attacker forces the defender in to an error.

We seem to rely far too much on our front players to make a mark and the midfielders tend to form this nondescript department that just goes through the motions and contributes a modest amount to the performance in terms of effectiveness.

I'm getting a bit bored of reading about how last night is ok because the spurs team cost a lot more than ours.

That logic didn't work in last years semi finals did it?

ditto