Paul Lambert

Pilchard

All keepers will go long when under pressure from a back pass. The insinuation from the original post was that our tactic is to hoof the ball up to Benteke. This has now progressed to Guzan going long from passbacks. What would you prefer Guzan attempting to nutmeg Saurez or Van Persie?

Most of the time he is not under pressure though, it is when there isn't enough movement from the outfield players. The fact that it it was the most successful passing combination last yr (for us) would indicate that our tactic more often than not is to hoof it up.
Given they were both almost ever presents, the ratio will be high. Its probably the same for most if not all teams given the amount of times a keeper kicks over the half way line so I wouldn't put too much faith in that particular statistic.

Regarding being under pressure, he always has angles either side of him & when not under pressure, that's where the ball goes. It is only when under pressure that it goes long.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

If you really think that Guzan goes long when its passed back to him and is not under pressure then not only shall we disagree but we clearly watch 2 different games.

Success rate of a ball out to a defender 99%?

Success rate of a hoof into the opponents half 20-30%

Must be watching different, but then I'm not the only one who has said this.

Those stats also prove nothing (not sure where you have got them from). As I said the initial pass can be to a defender but then it is passed back to Guzan when the opposition sit back and we have a lack of movement so guzan then launches th ball towards Benteke. It may be different on Saturday, as Benteke isn't there, but I'd be very surprised if it is (even though saying that city do press high so guzan will probably be under more pressure than usual).

They want to be here, are happy & honoured to be here & will put a shift in for the cause.

Really though who gives a shit? Pick me and I'd put a shift in but it doesn't mean I'd be any good.

Is that what we've been reduced to as a fan base? That we should be pleased because we've got players who may be technically poor but will run round lots?

I don't believe high wages per se are the problem, [/quotes]

There's a reason we've signed players on low wages since Lambert's arrived.

I just bet that you were one of the biggest critics of the MON high earners as well weren't you?

If nothing else, that should tell you that there is no guarantee money will bring success

In case you haven't noticed, we've had 3 seasons on the trot where relegation was a very real prospect throughout most of the season. So I think its safe to surmise what we've been reduced to.

All keepers will go long when under pressure from a back pass. The insinuation from the original post was that our tactic is to hoof the ball up to Benteke. This has now progressed to Guzan going long from passbacks. What would you prefer Guzan attempting to nutmeg Saurez or Van Persie?

Most of the time he is not under pressure though, it is when there isn't enough movement from the outfield players. The fact that it it was the most successful passing combination last yr (for us) would indicate that our tactic more often than not is to hoof it up.
Given they were both almost ever presents, the ratio will be high. Its probably the same for most if not all teams given the amount of times a keeper kicks over the half way line so I wouldn't put too much faith in that particular statistic.

Regarding being under pressure, he always has angles either side of him & when not under pressure, that's where the ball goes. It is only when under pressure that it goes long.

We'll have to agree to disagree on this one.

If you really think that Guzan goes long when its passed back to him and is not under pressure then not only shall we disagree but we clearly watch 2 different games.

Success rate of a ball out to a defender 99%?

Success rate of a hoof into the opponents half 20-30%

Must be watching different, but then I'm not the only one who has said this.

Those stats also prove nothing (not sure where you have got them from). As I said the initial pass can be to a defender but then it is passed back to Guzan when the opposition sit back and we have a lack of movement so guzan then launches th ball towards Benteke. It may be different on Saturday, as Benteke isn't there, but I'd be very surprised if it is (even though saying that city do press high so guzan will probably be under more pressure than usual).

Anyone who thinks our tactic is to hoof the ball is really not worth arguing with mate.

I've read some crap on this thread but that claim is just about the most ridiculous & trust me-There have been some ridiculous comments recently.

£40k is a fairly average wage-packet by Premier League standards.

Wouldn't disagree but if the manager is told that he can't offer those sort of sums to players then you can hardly blame him for not signing him can you?

No I suppose not. Just another stark reminder of what we've been reduced to under Lerner.

I'd go further. Its not just a stark reminder, it is the root of the problem.

We tried to shave the wage bill too quickly last year, relied on kids & quite possibly got away with it due to Wigans FA Cup run. Newcastle were in a similar situation to us & backed their manager to buy his way out of trouble in January. PL was not given that luxuary. 

For me, instead of having mercinaries like Sissoko, we have hungry players like Sylla instead. They want to be here, are happy & honoured to be here & will put a shift in for the cause. That statement Sylla made sums the attitude up for me "even if I'm not playing,their joy is my joy & their pain is my pain".

This is where we are. We still have challenges. We may not be going for top 4 but we still want to finish as high as possible. The team spirit seems excellent, the players don't seem phased by big star names & we're giving it a go. I really struggle to understand so much negativity.

Look, we are either talking about the technical side of the game or not you arguement is jumping around about mercenaries, budgets, attitudes and who would you buy.....these guys are paid 1mill per annum to know who to sign.

Whether lambert's signings do turn out to be ok or not ,time will tell

Right now it's Low grade.

Ps no, I don't want the manager out or anyone else, just saying its poor.

We are talking about many things-The thread isn't exclusive to your misguided opinions.

The problem is that many people love to go to football just to moan. They are usually the ones who least understand the game as well funnily enough.

• Like 1

Wouldn't disagree but if the manager is told that he can't offer those sort of sums to players then you can hardly blame him for not signing him can you?

No I suppose not. Just another stark reminder of what we've been reduced to under Lerner.

We tried to shave the wage bill too quickly last year, relied on kids & quite possibly got away with it due to Wigans FA Cup run. Newcastle were in a similar situation to us & backed their manager to buy his way out of trouble in January. PL was not given that luxuary.

For me, instead of having mercinaries like Sissoko, we have hungry players like Sylla instead. They want to be here, are happy & honoured to be here & will put a shift in for the cause. That statement Sylla made sums the attitude up for me "even if I'm not playing,their joy is my joy & their pain is my pain".

This is where we are. We still have challenges. We may not be going for top 4 but we still want to finish as high as possible. The team spirit seems excellent, the players don't seem phased by big star names & we're giving it a go. I really struggle to understand so much negativity.

Look, we are either talking about the technical side of the game or not you arguement is jumping around about mercenaries, budgets, attitudes and who would you buy.....these guys are paid 1mill per annum to know who to sign.

We are talking about many things-The thread isn't exclusive to your misguided opinions.

The problem is that many people love to go to football just to moan. They are usually the ones who least understand the game as well funnily enough.

Haha love it.

They want to be here, are happy & honoured to be here & will put a shift in for the cause.

Really though who gives a shit? Pick me and I'd put a shift in but it doesn't mean I'd be any good.

Is that what we've been reduced to as a fan base? That we should be pleased because we've got players who may be technically poor but will run round lots?

There is certainly something in this. The teams who pay the most in terms of wages will generally have the better players and will then generally finish in the highest positions. Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool will have the highest wage bills and will almost certainly make up this seasons top 6. Barring the odd exception you will find that will usually be the case. In fact we pretty much proved it our selves when finishing sixth three times we had the eighth, sixth and sixth highest wage bill.

It is not rocket science. If you have a good manager, give him a healthy budget to spend both in fees and wages and you should then have relative success. I think we have a good manger but what he has been given to spend in fees and wages is meaning that we will at best finish mid to lower table.

Having the likes of Bent, Given, Dunne, Hutton and Ireland on big wages while being nowhere near the first team probably has something to do with it.

And how many were left this summer?

You already know so I'm not even going to bother answering that. However, you did say since Lambert's arrived, not since this summer.

Wouldn't disagree but if the manager is told that he can't offer those sort of sums to players then you can hardly blame him for not signing him can you?

Loan me your glasses.

Having the likes of Bent, Given, Dunne, Hutton and Ireland on big wages while being nowhere near the first team probably has something to do with it.
And how many were left this summer?

You already know so I'm not even going to bother answering that. However, you did say since Lambert's arrived, not since this summer.

And the fact it's continued this season when massive earners left show the intention.

Loan me your glasses.

No need mate-You've cracked it:

Pay a guy a million & he'll know who to sign-Wages & budgets clearly don't matter

Yeah let's just sack Lambert and hire McLeish shall we? I can't wait to watch us put 11 men behind the ball and try and grind out 0-0 every game again. So exciting!

Spent an hour trying to find who said this, a disgrace, they should hang their head in shame. Who said it?

And the fact it's continued this season when massive earners left show the intention.

A few of the big earners are still on the books. It will be interesting to see what happens next summer when as expected we sell Benteke for a huge figure (at least £35m+ I should think) and most if not all of the deadwood on big wages will be gone. The only deadwood left will be the players on 10k a week as opposed to 40k-60k.

There is certainly something in this. The teams who pay the most in terms of wages will generally have the better players and will then generally finish in the highest positions. Man Utd, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal, Spurs and Liverpool will have the highest wage bills and will almost certainly make up this seasons top 6. Barring the odd exception you will find that will usually be the case. In fact we pretty much proved it our selves when finishing sixth three times we had the eighth, sixth and sixth highest wage bill.

It is not rocket science. If you have a good manager, give him a healthy budget to spend both in fees and wages and you should then have relative success. I think we have a good manger but what he has been given to spend in fees and wages is meaning that we will at best finish mid to lower table.

Didn't help QPR.

A few of the big earners are still on the books. It will be interesting to see what happens next summer when as expected we sell Benteke for a huge figure (at least £35m+ I should think) and most if not all of the deadwood on big wages will be gone. The only deadwood left will be the players on 10k a week as opposed to 40k-60k.

Can you help me find this please: http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/8357-paul-lambert/page-695#entry1085338

Cannot believe somebody said this!

I don't think you'll survive in the Premier league for long with our wage budget. No one will wanna stop here, so what's the future???

maybe we can become a feeder club for one of europes elite sides!

Can you help me find this please: http://www.villatalk.com/index.php/topic/8357-paul-lambert/page-695#entry1085338

You're looking like a bit of a you know what buddy. This obsession with proving people right or wrong on an internet forum is pathetic. Especially when the OP was obviously not directly quoting, but implying/paraphrasing.

• Like 1

I think something perhaps people forget is that wages don't stay static they rise with improved performances. If individual players put in good performances they are in turn rewarded with new contracts (see Benteke, Lowton, Westwood etc this summer). Kompany may be one of if not the highest paid CB in the league now but I bet he wasn't anywhere near that when he first joined City, for example.

You're looking like a bit of a you know what buddy. This obsession with proving people right or wrong on an internet forum is pathetic. Especially when the OP was obviously not directly quoting, but implying/paraphrasing.

Go find somebodies opinion to cry over.