Paul Lambert

Pilchard

I couldn't give a sh*t about tonight's game. This negativity is ridiculous, I think Lambert wasn't too bothered about the game either. It's important to experiment with his new players in a competitive match that isn't so important and he did that, the players wasn't exactly outclassed or embarrassed enough to sulk over the game. Lets look forward to Saturday

• Like 1

This is serious. We are looking pretty poor, we don't have a play plan and don't have the personnel. We don't even have any fight.

I feel exactly the same about Lambert as I did after that black period at the start of the year, after the cup exit - he seems woefully short of ideas and doesn't have the excuse of last season as he had all summer to recruit and develop his side. We look clueless and toothless.

We were without our front three and our first choice midfield. Basically Spurs and spent 100mil on improving their already strong squad so its not unexpected.

Yes we chose to play without some of our best players, not all were injured. It's not like we know who is our best player in every position either, after every game people want to throw out KEA, Weimann etc. The bunch that played clearly were not even close to being at the needed level, and we lost 4-0 to Tottenham's reserves that included a few of their starters.

I don't care if we lose 1-0 or 4-0, but the cohesion in our team today was worrying to say the least, it looked like a team that had never played together even in training.

We all fear a team without Benteke, we all know what is going to happen after the season, and then what? From Lambert's interviews it looks like Kozak is/was the direct replacement for Benteke, and today we got an impression of how life would be like. Not trashing Kozak here, at all, but he is much more stationary and so is Helenius who looks like a deer caught in the headlights.

You think we play good football?

We're currently about as exciting to watch, and have about the same points per game as we did under McLeish.

And McLeish didn't manage to stumble across a world class striker.

Who hoofs it to the bigman?

I'll give you Clark on 2 or 3 occasions on Saturday but apart from that, we always try to play it out & given the pressure we were under, I was quite happy to see the ball hoofed out of defence & into the opponents half.

Name me a goal that we've scored as a result of hoofing it to the bigman

The keeper, constantly. We don't play it out from the back, we pass it back to the keeper, who clearings in the woods it up to Benteke.

As for naming a goal we've scored as a result of this tactic, we don't, that's part of the problem. Doesn't stop us giving it back to Guzan to hoof it up a dozen times a game though.

So when you said "hoofing it", you actually meant the keeper kicking it out of his hands

Remind me again of how the goal was scored on Saturday

From Everton away back in February, we've been playing some good football. This is down to having a settled side & a bit of confidence. We've been at least mid table standard from then onwards. The midfield seem quite happy to be patient & its usually when rushed that players tend to go long.

This isn't going to happen overnight - We've got no money so we've got to build from scratch. We're improving & moving in the right direction. Lets just enjoy the ride.

It is now becoming blatantly obvious that our best 11 is capable of around a 11th - 15th place finish. Trouble is beyond that the squad as a whole lacks enough quality.

I was going to say tonight it was men against boys. It wasn't though it was genuine top flight quality players all over the pitch for Spurs against Championship quality players all over the pitch for us.

I am loathe to blame Lambert for the above though. Given the resources he has been given in terms of transfer funds and wages then it would have needed a miracle worker to build a strong squad. 

It is starting to feel very much like this will be another season of struggle. The squad is weak and aside from Benteke, Delph, Guzan and Gabby it is the poorest squad I can remember in a very long time. We have to hope those four can play the majority of games and Westwood, Lowton and Weimann can realise the promise they showed for periods of last season.
Edited by markavfc40

It is now becoming blatantly obvious that our best 11 is capable of around a 11th - 15th place finish. Trouble is beyond that the squad as a whole lacks enough quality.

I was going to say tonight it was men against boys. It wasn't though it was genuine top flight quality players all over the pitch for Spurs against Championship quality players all over the pitch for us.

I am loathe to blame Lambert for the above though. Given the resources he has been given in terms of transfer funds and wages then it would have needed a miracle worker to build a strong squad.

It is starting to feel very much like this will be another season. The squad is weak and aside from Benteke, Delph, Guzan and Gabby it is the poorest squad I can remember in a very long time. We have to hope those four can play the majority of games and Westwood, Lowton and Weimann can realise the promise they showed for periods of last season.

Yes, the lack of quality worries me terribly. :(

It is starting to feel very much like this will be another season. The squad is weak and aside from Benteke, Delph, Guzan and Gabby it is the poorest squad I can remember in a very long time. We have to hope those four can play the majority of games and Westwood, Lowton and Weimann can realise the promise they showed for periods of last season.

Who would you have signed?

I don't blame Lambert, I blame the budget.

TBF - I thought Lambert did well last season. He brought in Vlaar, Westwood, Lowton - for very little - and of course Benteke sparkled. He gambled on unknowns - he cut it pretty fine - but in the end we got there.

But this summer he got it totally wrong. Baker is a regular on the fitness table, Vlaars absence hit us hard last season. Yet he only recruits one CB - Leaving us vunerable in IMO what was our weakest area last season.

He then pays £3.5m - for a winger with a reputation for being erratic - and buys not one, but two big centre forwards - and only add another 'iffy' player to our midfield. I don't see that this summers spending progressed us at all.

Sure he hasn't been helped by injuries and loss of form - but he hasn't helped himself either. 

Of course he is pretty much untouchable - mainly because our chairman fears another management selection process - more than he fears relegation. 

We're currently about as exciting to watch, and have about the same points per game as we did under McLeish.

I'll give you Clark on 2 or 3 occasions on Saturday but apart from that, we always try to play it out & given the pressure we were under, I was quite happy to see the ball hoofed out of defence & into the opponents half.

The keeper, constantly. We don't play it out from the back, we pass it back to the keeper, who clearings in the woods it up to Benteke.

As for naming a goal we've scored as a result of this tactic, we don't, that's part of the problem. Doesn't stop us giving it back to Guzan to hoof it up a dozen times a game though.

So when you said "hoofing it", you actually meant the keeper kicking it out of his hands

From Everton away back in February, we've been playing some good football. This is down to having a settled side & a bit of confidence. We've been at least mid table standard from then onwards. The midfield seem quite happy to be patient & its usually when rushed that players tend to go long.

This isn't going to happen overnight - We've got no money so we've got to build from scratch. We're improving & moving in the right direction. Lets just enjoy the ride.

Can you offer any evidence of this ? 

Almost £11m on Tonev, & Kozac - I believe that money could have been better spent. 

OK got ya

I still think there is progress being made. I agree we can only go so far with this strategy but its all we have at the moment so might as well get behind the manager & players.

People need to understand that even if we were to sell Benteke for example, the only players we could buy with the money would be similar to the ones coming in at present. Our wage structure has seen to that.

No more selling Milners & buying Bents & no more "quality" midfielders from Man City on £60K odd a week.

Yes-Look at the results pre-Everton & then look at them after Everton.

Simple really

Yes-Look at the results pre-Everton & then look at them after Everton.

Simple really

What ? - We haven't played Everton this season. Have the players purchased this summer made us significantly stronger in any area of the park ? 

"Let's just enjoy the ride"

You're enjoying this?

Enjoying what?

Winning at Arsenal? Giving Chelsea a real fright?

Yes I enjoyed those games immensely.

Liverpool & Newcastle were disappointing but the win on Saturday was welcome.

Not bothered about tonight.This time last year, we were hitting 4 at Man City in the same competition. It produces results like this.

As I said,its a ride. If you want a bit more consistency, you better pray theres some oil rich arab out there waiting in the wings, if not, wake up & smell the coffee. We're Aston Villa. We've finished in the top 4 about 4 times in 50 years.

Some people have already made up their minds on the new signings, some of them have played less than 2 full games, actually has anyone played more than 4 competitive games for us? I'll give them at least 20 games before I feel confident on judging someone

• Like 1