Ajax Fined For Anti Modern Football Banners

villaajax

Do you feel that they should've been fined if it was a picture of a fat Texan with a cowboy hat on?

How about the nasty picture of a Jewish guy with a cross through it that the Polish fans held up? That one was rightfully sectioned by UEFA. It's a fine line to tread when you start waving caricatures of racial minorities with crosses through them at football matches.

I understand the context, but why Arab sheik? Why not Yankee billionaires, English billionaires or Russian billionaires. It just way too easy to hate Arabs these days. It is like protesting against Jews outside a financial institution. It is just stupid. You can protest injustice without stereotyping people. So I feel they deserved the fine.

As the original post said, it was aimed at Man City - so that's probably why it's an Arab Sheik.

this Modern football crap is really annoying? Im no City lover but what Ajax do to smaller Dutch teams is just as bad as City signing players.

Ajax develop their own players, it's not often than Ajax buy players and when they do they are usually young players from other countries who they develop. Ajax don't spend millions and millions buying in all of the top players from the teams below them

I think it was last season that Ajax had by far the highest percenage of academy developed players for a team in the Champions League.

I'm not sure about this.

I read the Guardian's story on this a couple of days ago, and it does exactly the same thing as the Sky Sports one: informs the reader that Ajax have been fined for "display of a provocative and inappropriate banner", before going on to give details (and photos) of the 'against modern football' banner and the picture of the Sheikh. However, within the Sky Sports article, a brief reference is also made to the fact that "other supporters displayed unflattering messages aimed at Manchester City, Chelsea, Red Bull Salzburg and Red Bull Leipzig."

The Guardian article also gives a passing mention to "offensive messages" aimed at the same clubs. A quick search online indicates that this may well be one of the offending messages:

50252426.jpg

Now, I assume UEFA have punished Ajax because you can't really have a huge banner with the words "**** YOU!" held up at a football ground, regardless of the context. However, unfortunately, it seems to make more of a news story if it's spun to sound like UEFA are being unfair or protecting the clubs with money. Making a point about the Sheikh picture, whilst writing and structuring your article in a way that makes it appear as though this was the offending banner, may also (deliberately or not, but it's happened quickly on here and also in the comments section of the Guardian's article) give rise to totally unfounded statements relating to racism when it was nothing to do with this particular issue at all.

Edited by Troglodyte

Sulejmani, Huntelaar were bought by clubs below them for big fees for Dutch football, same as Suarez. them 3 cost nearly 30 million euros between them

To be fair to Ajax, they always have very good attendances and are regularly in the Champions League. It's also worth noting they make a profit on the players they sell. So I would imagine a good majority (if not all) of the signings they make are through money they have earned. It's not just that they won the lottery with a new owner, so it's completely different to the City scenario.

Edited by kurtsimonw

Like I said, old money doesn't care too much for nouveau riche. It's a reflection of society as a whole, not just football.

*edit*

Just checked the Dutch transfer record and Ajax have made seven of the ten most expensive signings in Dutch football.

Edited by The_Rev

As the original post said, it was aimed at Man City - so that's probably why it's an Arab Sheik.

Still not okay to stigmatize a group of people whoever it was aimed at. Like having a banner with a forbidden sign over a black guy when playing against the dream team in basketball.... or a banner depicting a stereotype Jew when facing Tottenham , because their chairman is Jewish. It is way over line. It should not be other rules because an Arab runs or owns a club.

Btw, to depict a Yankee:

yankee-img001.jpg

It's been mentioned in this thread already, but Ajax have as many (if not more) links to Judaism as Spurs do.

5F9Nx5Y.png

The Star of David is much more visible at the Amsterdam Arena than it ever has been at White Hart Lane.

The Muslim/Jew thing might have nothing to do with the anti Arab banner, but the people who made it ought to have known how it would be reacted to.

true but is any different Ajax taking Huntelaar and Sulejamni from Heerenveen as City taking Barry and Milner from Villa?

I know next to nothing about Ajax but haven't they grown organically and spent their own money rather than a Billionaire Sheik's?
  • Like 1

Even the 'grown organically' argument is bollocks. Usually it just means that your club were lucky enough to have their successful spell just as the money came into the game. Forest got **** all for winning the European Cup two years in a row. If they did that in the late 90s rather than the early 80s they would have made enough to allow them to create a position of dominance they would probably still hold today.

Ajax got where they are on the back of developing brilliant players and playing equally brilliant football, not buying up all of the best players available and winning hollow trophies. Look at the teams through out the years, they've been on the whole Ajax's own players, Ajax has possibly the finest academy in the World and always have. The problem now is that when Ajax start to build a great team these days, a club from another European league will come and take the best players away.

• Like 2

Still not okay to stigmatize a group of people whoever it was aimed at. Like having a banner with a forbidden sign over a black guy when playing against the dream team in basketball.... or a banner depicting a stereotype Jew when facing Tottenham , because their chairman is Jewish. It is way over line. It should not be other rules because an Arab runs or owns a club.

Btw, to depict a Yankee:

yankee-img001.jpg

How would you have felt if Liverpool fans held up a poster of a fat Texan with a cross over it back when they were owned by Texans?

Now, I assume UEFA have punished Ajax because you can't really have a huge banner with the words "**** YOU!" held up at a football ground, regardless of the context. However, unfortunately, it seems to make more of a news story if it's spun to sound like UEFA are being unfair or protecting the clubs with money. Making a point about the Sheikh picture, whilst writing and structuring your article in a way that makes it appear as though this was the offending banner, may also (deliberately or not, but it's happened quickly on here and also in the comments section of the Guardian's article) give rise to totally unfounded statements relating to racism when it was nothing to do with this particular issue at all.

Yes, there seems to be a lot of miss information about this. The newspapers are happy enough to insinuate that UEFA are protecting rich owners though because they know it will be a dog whistle for football supporters.

Â