Ajax Fined For Anti Modern Football Banners

villaajax

I don't think the link is certain.

Ajax fans unfurl a massive banner saying "**** OFF!"  The club subsequently gets fined a relatively small amount of money.  Seems logical.

However, there was also a banner with a cartoon version of a Saudi-Arabian guy on it.  The media choose to focus on this.

It would be better if UEFA specified which banner it was, but they probably didn't feel that it was necessary.

• 2 weeks later...

This is the same governing body that fined Bendtner 100,000 euros for wearing his "lucky pants". If it had said "**** Off" sponsored by Paddy Power they'd have committed a crime deemed 10 times as bad it seems. Good job they weren't wearing orange miniskirts at the time or they'd all have been removed from the ground wouldn't they?

Whether there were racial implications or not its an interesting point of debate on the modern game really, so it can be spun as overly officious by the media but probably crosses some minor indiscretion in the EUFA rulebook. Although Ive never seen such a thing and can easily be persuaded that they actually make it up as they go along!!

It's a weird one for me domestically as I know both lifelong Man City season ticket holders and Chelsea fans that went through years of shit with their respective teams and it's great on a personal level for them to have their moment in the sun. Who would have thought 20/30 years ago that these 2 would be two of the dominant forces in European and English competition?

I'm surprised there's no section of the media that spun it as "Ajax fans get club fined for showing support for the new EUFA FFP legislation" 

Maybe I am mistaken, but I have never seen the owners and directors of Manchester City attend a game wearing "sheik" clothes. I don't know if the banner looked like one of them. It was just a stereotypical drawing of an Arab. It shouldn't be this hard to understand stereotyping, and this is not meant against you.

article-1227099-072D6AA4000005DC-577_468

I don't think it really matters if this is the only occasion he attended a game dressed in this way, it may well be, I have no idea. However I think it is a fairly reasonable think to depict a Sheik in traditional clothing given that it is a) traditional and B) what they very frequently seem to wear.

I'm struggling to see what issue there is to take with it, so are you saying a picture of an Aborginal person should be done with them wearing a suit and tie so as to avoid sterotyping? That a picture of a London banker should be done in flip flops and boardie shorts to avoid sterotyping?

How far would you like to go with this?

This doesn't count, because it was at the same time Ireland was a stereotypically good player, and the picture is not taken in Manchester at all, but instead in really hot and warm Middle East. Those clothes can be seen as traditional, but they are mostly used because of the heat. Other Arabs do not wear this types of outfits.

You said "Maybe I am mistaken, but I have never seen the owners and directors of Manchester City attend a game wearing "sheik" clothes" and I provided a picture to show you were mistaken. Period.

You can add whatever caveats you like after the fact to try and change what you posted but that is a picture that shows you are mistaken. So yes it counts.

Oh, come on. You know what I meant!!!

I wasn't going to discuss the picture, but then I noticed Ireland.  Just because they are on a pitch, does not mean they played a game (Ireland talking big). Period.

I said: "Maybe I am mistaken, but I have never seen the owners and directors of Manchester City attend a game wearing "sheik" clothes"

You said: "and I provided a picture to show you were mistaken."

I say: "It doesn't look like a match. My point is still valid."

Anyway, the real issue is the banner, and I find it rascist, becauce that banner doesn't even look like Sheikh Mansour. Most fans, and I include Villa and Ajax, know him like this:

Sheikh-Mansour-007.jpg

Period.

Edited by momo

Â