Ajax Fined For Anti Modern Football Banners

villaajax

Dutch giants Ajax have been fined by UEFA for banners displayed by their supporters

Dutch giants Ajax have been fined by UEFA after their supporters protested during a Champions League match in October.

Supporters in the Amsterdam ArenA displayed a banner with the slogan "against modern football" and another which depicted a sheikh holding a bag with a dollar sign, with a red line drawn across it.

Fans held a lot one banner saying "against modern football" and another which depicted a sheikh holding a bag with a dollar sign, with a red line drawn across it.

Another banner stated "80 euros for the away section is ridiculous", while other supporters displayed unflattering messages aimed at Manchester City, Chelsea, Red Bull Salzburg and Red Bull Leipzig.

UEFA said the Dutch club had been fined €10,000 for "display of a provocative and inappropriate banner."

City are bankrolled by Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, a member of Abu Dhabi's ruling family, while Chelsea are financed by Russia's Roman Abramovich.

Ajax have been European Champions four times, the last in 1995, but have been unable to compete with the financial clout of newly-rich clubs.

Source : Sky Sports

Well I'm not surprised that UEFA would be against this but I'm glad to see some kind of a stand was taken by supporters.

Edited by villaajax

It's a TV show - what kind of TV show lets the studio audience criticise the channel or its advertisers?

Our only power as supporters is as consumers - no one wants to hurt their own side, so no one will stop buying their own teams merchandise or tickets - we should concentrate instead on not using Barclays, not buying Budweiser, not buying Fords, not drinking Amstel and not using Mastercard if we want to have a voice in the game. They'll listen soon enough.

(Plus as luck would have it, Budweiser tastes like piss)

The sign is clearly in context, so it makes no sense to say what if it was a 'black guy'.

I understand the context, but why Arab sheik? Why not Yankee billionaires, English billionaires or Russian billionaires. It just way too easy to hate Arabs these days. It is like protesting against Jews outside a financial institution. It is just stupid. You can protest injustice without stereotyping people. So I feel they deserved the fine.

I understand the context, but why Arab sheik? Why not Yankee billionaires, English billionaires or Russian billionaires. It just way too easy to hate Arabs these days. It is like protesting against Jews outside a financial institution. It is just stupid. You can protest injustice without stereotyping people. So I feel they deserved the fine.

Do you feel that they should've been fined if it was a picture of a fat Texan with a cowboy hat on?

I think you are imagining things that just aren't there in this.

The headline here implies the fine is for protesting against modern football but the quote with in the article says it is just one banner that drew a fine.

I would like to know which banner caused the fine before I decide whether a fine was appropriate, the fine may well have been justified.

I suspect it is the one with a caricature of the Arab guy that has caused the issue. If had just been a picture of a $ sign with a cross though it I am sure there would have been no problem.

Edited by LondonLax

Â