January 2013 Transfer Talk

maqroll

Yeah I remember when he played for em - thought he was the best thing since sliced bread!

He wasn't asked to leave Man Utd apparently - it's just like Cahill situation - a team came in for him & he decided to take the plunge & move.

Fair play to him - it shows he's got a genuine hunger for the game prepared to forego his WAG lifestyle & no doubt pay packet & play for Hull City.

Where have I heard those words before??!!! - young & hungry

Complete opposite situation of Lescott who seems happy to be rotting in their reserves earning his billions!

Ironic!

Wouldn't surprise me if the Lescott thing is a smoke and mirrors game and we then go for someone from Europe or maybe Chester... I'd be pretty pleased with Chester in but I'd like 1-2 Cbs between now and the start of 13/14.

PB I get your point but we also have a sizeable income to pay for the ongoing wage costs so it's not imperative that there is a re-sale value at the end of the contract.

The issue of sustainability is more about having a manageable cost (mainly wage) income ratio so that we can make an operating profit.

Yeah, I know, but the point remains. Spending £10m plus massive wages on a player of Lescott's age would be madness, and repeating the mistakes we have made so many times in recent years. Is he really *that* good? Yes, he is alot better than our current defence but frankly thats not saying very much.

At half the price he'd be a steal. On loan he'd be absolutely great, take your hand off

£10m plus £60k per week? I just think its a shocking waste of money, when there are surely much better deals to be had

Okay

Jimmy Rimmer - Arsenal Reserve

Nigel Spink - Chelmsford City

Kenny Swain - Chelseaa Winger we converted to Right Back

Allan Evans - Dunfermline Striker we converted to CB

Ken McNaught - Big Money Siging at time from Everton but was 28 so old

Gary Williams - Youth Squad

Colin Gibson - Youth Squad

Des Bremner - Came from Hibs Not sure how ell known he was

Dennis Mortimer - Coventry

Gordon Cowans - Youth Squad

Eammon Deacy - Irish League Not sure what Team. Wrote in asking for Trial

Tony Morley - Div 2 player at Burnley

Gary Shaw - Youth Team

Peter Withe - Journeyman 28 yrs from I think Div 2 Newcastle but our record Signing

David Geddis - Ipswich Reserve

The above players were involved during 1980-1982 where we won the league and the European Cup. If that team/squad was put together now the majority here would be writing them off for relegation.

Its not about buying big names etc it is about building a team and that can be done by buying players from anywhere. If they fit in and do a job for the team, the team is stronger.

Exactly but you forgot one thing.... where did that manager come from who didn't assemble a squad - but built a team!!....Norwich!!

Been busy unpicking the stitches on your "Welcome home Whittingham banner"? :)

Welcome back.

Actually someone tweeted me that according to someone on H & V there's another rumour he's coming back!!

Nowt to do with me at all....

So there!! :P

Lambert is an admirer - but we couldn't shift some,.... If players leave I wouldn't at all be surprised to see him back

For his freekicks & corners he'd be worth it.... Could teach Barry Bannan a thing or two about passing with your left foot that's for sure

And besides.... just as payback for all the stick I got lads - just to say I knew darn well that we were after Joe Bennett for ages as LB

as some know!!

He's looking a bit raw but he is a very talented wingback as we saw at Chelsea with his sliky skills - he's one to develop so be surpised if we let him go TBH

Edited by JulieB

Can I be indulged?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20910839

Inter Milan's Wesley Sneijder open to Premier League move

Doesn't want to move to QPR. Villa is a bigger club. His fellow Netherlands international, Ron Vlaar, plays for us.

He'd show Bannan a thing or two.

We could ask? Maybe he'll settle for 150k a week. We could afford that if we offload Given, Dunne, Warnock and Bent. He'd get us some new fans and sell some shirts.

We'd have to buy cheap elsewhere though for CB, defensive CM and FW to afford Sneijder.

Yes he would prefer a top Premier League club but Arsenal and Chelsea don't want to pay his salary and the Manchester clubs don't need him.

Liverpool, Tottenham possible, but he might like to play for us if we can get the money together.

Edited by Con
  • Like 1

Can I be indulged?

http://www.bbc.co.uk...otball/20910839

Inter Milan's Wesley Sneijder open to Premier League move

Doesn't want to move to QPR. Villa is a bigger club. His fellow Netherlands international, Ron Vlaar, plays for us.

He'd show Bannan a thing or two.

We could ask? Maybe he'll settle for 150k a week. We could afford that if we offload Given, Dunne, Warnock and Bent. He'd get us some new fans and sell some shirts.

We'd have to buy cheap elsewhere though for CB, defensive CM and FW to afford Sneijder.

Yes he would prefer a top Premier League club but Arsenal and Chelsea don't want to pay his salary and the Manchester clubs don't need him.

Liverpool, Tottenham possible, but he might like to play for us if we can get the money together.

lol

I asked in the summer. But if our transfer policy is so great why are no other clubs doing the same? So far the majority of lamberts signings have come from the lower leagues, if we signed Chester and Dale which some seem eager for us to do that would be 6 players signed from the lower leagues. There are obviously gems to be found in those leagues but surely we're not going to be lucky enough to uncover them all.

I just hope we sign quality players this window.

not sure when we were last were able to call ourselves a big club, every good season in my lifetime has usually followed two or three bad. The big stadium big following, big club argument feels pretty hollow when we can't even get much over 30k in our 42K capacity stadium (or thereabouts). To me it's more about our huge potential if our club were correctly managed and run - we could be a massive club because we have the right fan base and infrastructure, but we seem to incapable of finding the balance, right now it feels like virtually everything that was good about our playing squad has been stripped away.

It feels like we sold our soul to the devil to attain our three top six finishes under MON, and now the devil has come to collect.

I agree with this ^^

For me this club is potentially huge. Our main problems in my opinion are:

1. Unlike the other "large" clubs, since we won the big one way back in 82 we have been run with a distinct lack of vision.

2. The surrounding area in Aston has plummeted & the majority of the local population hold no interest in the support or otherwise of the club which to me has an impact. For me the whole region needs redeveloping in a Man City esque style or the club moving somewhere where it is appreciated although i do of course understand that this would be heavily opposed by many & a very controversial action. My view is that desperate times call for desperate measures & although Villa Park is of course a magical & very special place for me personally, if it meant the sleeping giant finally awakening i would go for it. Surely any massive club has to have it's own neighborhood behind it? This would surely add some of the missing numbers to the attendances? & indeed maybe in part the reason we struggle to fill the stadium?.. Most people who go to Villa Park have a journey of sorts which adds to cost & time etc etc... This ultimately has to have an impact in times of recession such as the one we are in at present?

3. The main thing though is surely the depressing transfer policy this club has had for several seasons now. Even under MON we bought quite dull "Mr average" players rather than players who got your pulses racing & for me this is where the club has erred spectacularly... We have a reduced wage bill matched by reduced excitement levels resulting now in reduced attendances & poor results.. it is a downward spiral & it needs to be reversed. The fun has been strangled out of a visit to Villa Park & we need that back too...

So over to you Mr Lerner & Paul x 2

Time to have a new vision, give the fans something to be excited about once more & over time this club can indeed be great once again... The fans are there make no mistake but they need to be sold the club again, to get excited about matchday again & this can only be done by getting it right on the pitch & attracting some decent & exciting players here. Villa fans are proud of their club & this last 3 years has been frankly highly embarrassing.

Yet if he came here and took a pay cut it would show he wasn't so what's the problem?

Exactly - and what more of an incentive would you need with a headline like "Your Homeclub needs you Jolean"!!! when we're doomed to relegation

Is he going to take a pay cut & move to a lesser club?...well we'll wait and see on that one...

Pat Murphy says it's not happening & Mat Kendrick concurs

John Carew & Ian Taylor both tweeted after Wigan if they could get fit enough - they'd come back & get stuck in to make sure we stayed up for free!

Think they would too!

I don't know why the big teams bother spending all that money when it's so easy and cheap to get success.

Well Lambert proved at Norwich it could be done...they were going nowhere till he walked through the door..

56 places he moved them up the divisions in one go.....to the Premiership!! If that's not success I don't know what it is

In the words of the Express journo Mick Dennis........

In his first two seasons at Norwich, Lambert’s team never lost two consecutive matches. There were reverses, but each was followed by a resolute performancelb_icon1.png, inspired by a manager who is simply the most positive man I have ever known.

The problem here is Lambert was asked to persisit with an existing squad that has struggled under about 5 managers in 3 seasons to cut a massive wage bill.

He's kinda proved that the existing squad simply isn't up to scratch whoever is going to manage them! Time for a rethink and a wake up call which as

James Nursey said earlier - these Xmas stuffings might actually have done some good!

What's needed is a clear out & some astute buys surely?

I asked in the summer. But if our transfer policy is so great why are no other clubs doing the same? So far the majority of lamberts signings have come from the lower leagues, if we signed Chester and Dale which some seem eager for us to do that would be 6 players signed from the lower leagues. There are obviously gems to be found in those leagues but surely we're not going to be lucky enough to uncover them all.

I just hope we sign quality players this window.

Surely Moyes has been doing similar to Lambert for 10 years?! eg Jagielka came from Sheff Utd same place as Matt Lowton

Everton know full well that dipping into the lower leagues pays dividends Big John look where they had Moyes from - Preston North End!

It's took David Moyes 10 years to build this squad wheeling & dealing at a club who don't have the resources of AVFC cos they ain't got a wealthy owner

who can dip into his pocket if absolutely necessary.

What he did with Norwich was very impressive. What he's doing here is so far not.

All up for a clear out and astute buys. I just don't think all astute buys need to be lower league players on cheap wages.

What he did was impressive like you said but it was also in a shit league where any formation changes and personnel changes wouldn't be punished as badly. Here he's doing it in one of the best leagues in the World where simply not turning up with your best eleven can see you absolutely battered. Yes the job at Norwich did give us illusions of climbing the table and finishing in positions a squad of our quality simply didn't belong, but it didn't happen. I still think Lambert can change things for the better here and he's a top manager, he's just got an insanely hard job here possibly harder than even he was anticipating.

I think given a good clear out and some more like minded players with perhaps a bit more quality than the last batch he brought in we will be set. I think some of his Summer signings will come good. Lowton, Westwood and Benteke are already great additions. Vlaar was pretty good before he got injured so 4 out of 7 isn't too bad considering Bennett can still come good. I think his biggest flop is unfortunately El Ahmadi, though if Lambert can maintain 60-70% success rate in signing players he will eventually get a starting 11 that can beat anyone on their day no doubt about it.

Edited by Daweii

Surely Moyes has been doing similar to Lambert for 10 years?! eg Jagielka came from Sheff Utd same place as Matt Lowton

Everton know full well that dipping into the lower leagues pays dividends Big John look where they had Moyes from - Preston North End!

It's took David Moyes 10 years to build this squad wheeling & dealing at a club who don't have the resources of AVFC cos they ain't got a wealthy owner

who can dip into his pocket if absolutely necessary.

David Moyes signed the odd few players from the lower leagues not the majority of his signings.

What he did with Norwich was very impressive. What he's doing here is so far not.

All up for a clear out and astute buys. I just don't think all astute buys need to be lower league players on cheap wages.

But up to now they haven't have they? Vlaar, KEA, Benteke

And Benteke surely looks more than an astute buy!

Besides Lambert had a bid accepted for Dempsey on final day of window - so he can't be against signing PL players!

Sounds to me like a mixture with 2 of his signings coming from Lg 1 who actually look very good - better then our existing squad!