General England thread

kurtsimonw

yeah its just paranoia we are a team finishing bottom 5 the last few seasons, if we moved up the table im sure players be in consideration, was people on here calling for Lowton to get a call up a few months back and I think Roy was right not to call him up.

Am sure he had Bent in one of his squads before

It's not "paranoia", it's just double standards on the part of Hodgson. It's not so much about who he's calling up, it's about who he isn't calling up and who he hasn't called up in the past.

Edited by Mantis
  • Like 1

yeah its just paranoia we are a team finishing bottom 5 the last few seasons, if we moved up the table im sure players be in consideration

That's pretty much my take on it too. It's no co-incidence that 2 Southampton players have been called up with them currently sitting one point off 2nd place in the league.

Who should he call up?

Delph no goals or assists and will be a walking red card in an international game

Gabby - a hot and cold player who is too unpredictable, can hit 6 in 4 games and then not score for 20

he called up Lallana and Rodriguez who are playing well for an inform Southampton team

If we assume that he wants players who would be compatible with the way he wants England to play, and if this player had continued to improve in the manner that he did last season, then I could see Westwood being called up as understudy to Carrick. But sadly Westwood is having a hard time of late and is nowhere near being in the form that justifies a call-up. If he was, then we'd probably be higher in the league. But he's the one when on-form that I could see fitting into an England squad.

I don't think no one is arguing the fact that Lallana and Rodriguez shouldn't be called up, it is the lets keep Smalling and Cleverly in the side. He keeps Smalling because he signed him from Maidstone, shouldn't Dawson be called up or lets say Curtis Davies. Forget Delph and Gabby, are you seriously telling me Cleverly or Wilshire have done more than Gareth Barry this season? You pick players who are performing well IMO. Barry has been superb since he joined Everton, but think he knows, no matter what he does he will not be on that plane to Brazil.

my problem is that he doesn't rotate and look at more players, I think England have got a decent record under roy, im going to guess at 1 defeat in 2 years, and I think he'll be thought well of for bringing through townsend and barkley amongst others, but if you look at teams like Germany who we should try and emulate, they seem to look at everyone

neuer is obviously number 1, didn't play in the june friendlies, they gave ter stegen and zieler a go instead, you know what neuer offers so why play him in every pointless friendly? look a the number of players >5 caps for Germany in the bundesliga

case in point with England, glen Johnson called up as 2nd choice RB, for what exactly? what does he offer? what does him training all week with England and then sitting on the bench for 2 games tell anyone? absolutely **** all,pretty much the same with smalling and jones, he's watched lots of them, decided they arent quite right / good enough to start, so why not call up dawson or davies like SiT say, or like most of us wanted get lowton in there, at least watch him up close in training, calling up gibbs isn't that daft an idea (even if calling up 3 LBs is) we just don't look at enough players IMO,

Who should he call up?

Delph no goals or assists and will be a walking red card in an international game

Gabby - a hot and cold player who is too unpredictable, can hit 6 in 4 games and then not score for 20

he called up Lallana and Rodriguez who are playing well for an inform Southampton team

Delph should definitely be called up ahead of Cleverly. As for Gabby, he doesn't deserve a call-up now but he did at the back end of last season/beginning of this season. People say that if we were doing better then players would get called up but I honestly don't believe that would happen.

But they don't have English names so they shouldn't be in the squad.

I always thought Fabian was French...

Yep my rule eliminates our only real candidates.  So be it, I want Arthur Williams and Henry Smith up front.

• Like 1

elsewhere it has emerged that Roy Hodgson refused to accept any wages during his second stint in charge of Inter Milan.

Actually, I tell a lie. While he declined any money for his job, he did concede that he’d accept payment in the form of opera tickets.

Yes, when Inter president, Massimo Moratti, approached Hodgson in 1999 to come back as caretaker manager, Roy decided he’d do it as a favour. Moratti tells The Sun:

‘He didn’t want to be paid, and it was for one month or something. He told me ‘no, no, no, I don’t want to be paid by you. I do it because we are friends and you need me.’

‘I asked him ‘please, I don’t want you to do it without anything from my side. I insisted, and he told me ‘if you insist, I have to say that I will have tickets for La Scala.’

interesting story, always comes across as a good guy

Yep my rule eliminates our only real candidates.  So be it, I want Arthur Williams and Henry Smith up front.

Williams is Welsh......

Williams is Welsh......

Every things bloody Welsh!  How is that so, there isn't any Welsh people?

Who should he call up?

Delph should definitely be called up ahead of Cleverly. As for Gabby, he doesn't deserve a call-up now but he did at the back end of last season/beginning of this season. People say that if we were doing better then players would get called up but I honestly don't believe that would happen.

That is because of your paranoia.

The idea that Hodgson has some vendetta against the club is absurd.

Â