Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I probably more than any other poster on here have the right to be smug over the abuse I received concerning Benteke, Redknapp, Lambert and my stance on signing experience before youth in our present position.

Rather than using the keyboard with glee I like several other posters have used restraint. We all are horrified at our present demise and those that now criticize gloating should take a fecking good look at themselves because they are hypocrites of the highest order!

Nobody has any right to be smug at the moment. We're doing poorly so really everyone should be unhappy about things, and I certainly don't see why you would even have any reason to be gleeful either. Shocking thing to say really as it implies that you take glee in our current situation just because it makes some of your earlier points a bit more credible.

Don't really see how your opinions on Benteke or Redknapp have been validated though. Benteke is playing shit at the moment but so is everybody else and he clearly isn't the next Balaban like you originally claimed. As for Redknapp, he's hardly arrested their poor form has he? 3 defeats, 3 draws and 1 win.

Its one extreme to another , not every experianced player is going to be a waste of time like Beye or Heskey FFS.

And not every experienced player is going to improve the team. As hard as it may be for some to believe there are plenty of shit experienced players. Edited by Mantis

I guess we all Liverpool fans today. I have been saying for a while I think QPR will stay up. Too many good players for them to be where they are. Boy I hope I'm wrong because I was banking on Wigan being one of the 3 for the drop.

If Lambert doesn't bring in experienced players, in January, who have competed at the highest level, either here or abroad, then we are heading in only one direction - out of this league!

A mix of youth and experience is needed in any competitive team. Even when we do get the likes of Gabby & Vlaar back in the team, the nucleus is still going to be very young and over-played. Right now, I am really struggling to see a way for us to stay up. My belief is that the manager is stubborn and will stick to doing things his way, regardless of whether it costs us our league status.

The biggest thing killing us is the early goals going in... Teams know now that if we go one down we are there for the taking & they are going for the jugular early doors & sadly succeeding due to our p***poor defence. Those players will be having nightmares at the moment having conceded 15 in 3 & frankly i cannot see how we recover from this now. I do feel Swansea is a game we could have done ok in but not with confidence & injuries as they are... another 3-0 for me.

Very unsure now about this whole thing & will be amazed if we don't finish bottom this season.

We didn't concede in the first half vs Spurs and still fell apart.The team has no spine , no leadership , no experiance and everyone to a man looks scared of the ball.

I work in a very sales driven environment, over the years you have very bad weeks/months, one thing you have to do is not panic. 1 week ago today (i.e before the Chelsea game) we were not looking too bad, 1 week later and were rubbish.

Now we have to hold the belief that in 1 week, 1 month we will be in a better position - perhaps wembley?, perhaps 5/6/7 points clear of relegation, perhaps a few decent signings. We have to believe, otherwise (as in my business) we give up.

I guess we all Liverpool fans today. I have been saying for a while I think QPR will stay up. Too many good players for them to be where they are. Boy I hope I'm wrong because I was banking on Wigan being one of the 3 for the drop.

I really can't see it, not unless they beat Liverpool. If they lose today then they're going to have to get at least 26/28 points from their last 18 games to even have a hope of staying up.

Also, I don't think their squad is all that great either. It may have experience but there isn't actually a lot of quality in there. They're 8 points below us. That's how bad they are.

I agree. When times are hard it is more likely an older more experience player will keep their head. It's not a guarantee but life normally works that way.

I think this is the point people are trying to make Mantis. I also see your point about poor experienced players not being the answer but I think right now Lambert has to try anything he can. Changes must be made.

On the other hand I do feel that certain players returning from injuries will also sure us up.

I agree. When times are hard it is more likely an older more experience player will keep their head. It's not a guarantee but life normally works that way.

I think this is the point people are trying to make Mantis. I also see your point about poor experienced players not being the answer but I think right now Lambert has to try anything he can. Changes must be made.

On the other hand I do feel that certain players returning from injuries will also sure us up.

Look, I get that we need experience but we can't buy anything experienced player out of panic. They have to be able to come in and improve the team and they won't be able to do that if they're shit to begin with.

Has Lambert ever been in this position before? that's what worries me the most.

He has had one season in the premier league but kept Norwich away from relegation.

Now we find ourselves in a relegation fight I fear the manager has no clue about how to avoid this situation or how to get out of it.

Now I hated McLeish but he has been in relegation fights before and some of the draws we got over the season were very negative but at the end of the day it kept us up.

We are so open when we play and he hasn't changed it all and we now we find ourselves fighting to avoid relegation.

I think people are being overly negative here (though I guess it's better than being positive and then dissapointed?). There's no point denying that relegation is a possibility after yesterday, but there's still a transfer window to come and a few experienced heads to return from injury (ie. Vlaar). And we're not even in the relegation zone yet! Some good experience added to steady the team in January, a relatively painless run of fixtures up until March and a return to the type of performances we saw against Norwich and Liverpool would see us safe this year.

This isn't to suggest that I'm happy with the way the club is going at the moment- I don't think any Villa fan could be- but all is not lost yet.

Edited by jayEm

Can anyone see Redknapp going out and buying young, inexperienced lower-league players in January? He will go out and buy players who he believes have the experience and know-how for a relegation fight.

Even if QPR do fail to survive, we still need to find 2 other clubs that are worse than us. Those Reading players have been around the block a few times and have been together for a while now so will have a real team feeling about them going into the relegation battle. Much the same could be said about Wigan too and they are also the perennial survivalists. Southampton might find it a little too tough for them and the fact they couldn't hold on to their lead yesterday against 10 men tells me they might be another to fall by the wayside. I cannot see Newcastle or Sunderland going down because they have far too much experience for that, and so have Fulham. Right now I would say it's 3 from Villa, Wigan, Southampton, Reading & QPR. Given the fact that we got a tonking from both Southampton and Wigan, managed to only scrape a late 1-0 win at home to Reading, and only scraped a 1-1 draw at QPR, I would say this is going to be one hell of a fight for survival for us :( .

Any one know the dates for our 6 pointers in 2013? Sorry for being lazy and not looking myself.

Southampton home is 12th Jan, Reading away is March 9th and QPR home is the next Saturday. Those two weekends will be crucial. Wigan away is the last day of the season- I don't fancy playing them for survival so hopefully we'd be safe by then. Those are the big ones that I can see.

• Like 1

My Leeds supporting mate said we remind him of them the year they went down. Once they started getting smashed week in week out it continued this way.

Hopefully the difference will be significant spending in January.

I have this sneaky feeling in 2 months time the mood wil have completely changed. We are Aston Villa. We are not going down!!!!! (Roars!!!)