Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

I don't see the point in the comparisons at this stage last season. We'd of played different teams at different stages. The only true comparisons that can be done are at the end of the season. Mcleish was given the season and Lambert will be too. Although even if we went down I really wouldn't sack him. Look at the mess Blackburn and Bolton are in.

You are right, although I wont read too much into the Spuds game as that was a hangover from the Chelsea game, as i said before I am glad it was only the 4 we lost by as it could have been alot worse. confidence is shot and the manager had no time due to holidays and the time between games to do anything about it, hopefully he will improve things for the week end.

The last two games may help us actually as Wigan will try and come at us and attack hoping the confidence is bad, they are not Chelsea or Spuds though and may just get punished for this, I hope this is the case as we need a good win to boost the players.

I think you could be right. Looking back at the season's wins in league and cup, very few of them had been expected.

Tranmere home (cup) - Expected

Swansea home - They were on a very good run of form before we played them and I certainly wouldn't say we were the favourites for that fixture

Man City away (cup) - We were expected to get trounced. We beat them pretty convincingly.

Swindon away (cup) - I expected us to win this but many were tipping Swindon for an upset. That never happened.

Sunderland away - Another win that came as a surprise.

Reading home - We were on a bad run of form at the time and although we were favourites this was far from a guaranteed win.

Norwich away (cup) - Don't think many predicted us to win this, let alone win 4-1. Norwich were on a fantastic run before this.

Liverpool away - Another surprising win. Many thought we would get trounced.

So basically my point is that things seem to work in our favour when nobody expects to win or get a result. Oh yeah, and not being on TV seems to help as well. We're coming off the back of two terrible defeats and our good form prior to the Chelsea game has been forgotten by most in the football world. That could work in our favour.

So there is a reason to worry then?

**** hell that was hard work.

Reason to worry about the immediate state of the squad. I said nothing about relegation. Edited by Mantis

There you go then. Thought I said no higher than 17th.

And actually it wouldn't surprise me that much if we were in the bottom 3 come january. It's hardly like my prediction is massively wrong is it? Its got a decent chance of being right. Again not sure what your point is.

Tricky pinning you down isn't it BJ - obviously when you made you're predicition we were in the bottom three. Given that that was only four weeks ago there was little danger of being "massively wrong" - the point that I made as you very well know was that I beleived that we were slowly improving and would "be a little more comfortable" than you predicted. If we win on Saturday we could be level with Fulham in 14th place, on 21 points

Tricky pinning you down isn't it BJ - obviously when you made you're predicition we were in the bottom three. Given that that was only four weeks ago there was little danger of being "massively wrong" - the point that I made as you very well know was that I beleived that we were slowly improving and would "be a little more comfortable" than you predicted. If we win on Saturday we could be level with Fulham in 14th place, on 21 points

Haha what would you like me to do? Make a ridiculous prediction that I don't believe just so you can pin me down?

I still don't get your point. You may be right about us being more comfortable. And? I don't know why you picked out my prediction. I'm genuinely confused to what you're on about.

Haha what would you like me to do? Make a ridiculous prediction that I don't believe just so you can pin me down?

I still don't get your point. You may be right about us being more comfortable. And? I don't know why you picked out my prediction. I'm genuinely confused to what you're on about.

As I said very tricky to pin you down, especially when you change the point of the argument at each repost

To clarify - you claimed that we would be in the relegation places come January and that there was no improvement. I predicted that we would see a slow improvement in our position and that we would be "a little more comfortable". So far it looks like I will be right and you will be wrong

I am also predicting that come the end of the season we will finish mid-table - I hope around 11th or better. Because we are not at the season end yet we don't know who will be right but so far the very slow improvement in position I predicted has come true

I fully expect your response (if any) to pick out a random word in this post and change the context of the discussion, again

Hahaha what on earth are you banging on about?

You pick the day after a 4-0 loss to come on and give it the big I'm right your wrong. Hahaha.

And actually you're not even right yet? We lose against Wigan and we are in the bottom 3.

Well done you obviously feel you've achieved something.

Again I'm not sure what the purpose of your post is? Is it literally just to say your right and I'm wrong?

Hahaha what on earth are you banging on about?

You pick the day after a 4-0 loss to come on and give it the big I'm right your wrong. Hahaha.

And actually you're not even right yet? We lose against Wigan and we are in the bottom 3.

Well done you obviously feel you've achieved something.

Again I'm not sure what the purpose of your post is? Is it literally just to say your right and I'm wrong?

As predicted

The point is that despite the obvious set backs we are slowly moving away from the relegation zone. A win on Saturday will cement that.

And a loss will put us in the relegation zone. What's your point?

It's hardly like we're sitting comfortable in midtable.

There is some improvement but as a team we are still struggling and relegation will be a worry.

On another thread you're going on about how poor our squad is and yet you seem to be arguing differently on here with me.

And a loss will put us in the relegation zone. What's your point?

It's hardly like we're sitting comfortable in midtable.

There is some improvement but as a team we are still struggling and relegation will be a worry.

On another thread you're going on about how poor our squad is and yet you seem to be arguing differently on here with me.

I give in - you've succeeded in your tactic to confuse and obfiscate

I actually think the game last night was worse than Chelsea, even though we lost 8-0 in that game. Against Chelsea we let in a goal after 3 minutes and that **** the game-plan completely. We tried to control the ball but they were just too good at Stamford Bridge, and in the second half our players gave up and just let them score every time they attacked. But yesterday was different, we had to come back and should have been fired up, but it looked like we played Barcelona at Nou Camp with 9 vs. 11 men on the pitch. It was probably the worst half I have ever seen as a Villa-fan, even though it ended 0-0. The result didn't matter really, because we all knew a goal would come in the second half and they got 4. They invited us up the field and just strolled in four goals later, smart tactics from AVB and not so clever from Lambert who should have realized what would happen. They were on fire, we were not, we should have controlled our defensive work and hoped for a lucky 1-0 from a set-piece or a counter. Once we got up we shot ourselves in the foot and that was so obvious.

Benteke wrecked the game when he made THAT pass for them to counter and finish the match, and when Joe Bennett tackled the ball right to Gareth Bale I just shook my head. A big chance for us at 0-1, perfect, then 10 seconds later and two AWFUL mistakes, bang 0-2.

I think people should hold their horses a little.

If we continue shipping large amount of goals and playing very poorly over the next few weeks then its very very clear it will be a challenge to stay in the league.

Dont forget both Chelsea and Spurs are very good teams, with lots of better players than us.

Before that with pretty much the same team that looked so poor recently we had cobbled together a pretty decent run for a team loaded with inexperience players; we've done it before and we can do it again.

People seemed all to happy when we were doing 'okay' to say that the poor run would come, kids will have good games and bad that all seems to be forgotten and replaced with typical Villa fan's abuse and over reaction.

I see us as basically a promoted team and this is our first season in the premier league, the amount of youngsters we have without experience is an indication of this.

Whether we should or shouldn't be in this position doesn't matter anymore and pissing and moaning about it every 5 mins wont change a thing.

If we can get a couple of experience players in Jan then we'll be fine, the problem being people will see us coming a mile off, a team full of youngsters wants our experience player, add a couple of mill on to that.

All of those players (especially Hutton and Warnock) were part of the reason why we did so poorly in the first place. Our defence was shocking last season. The only reason why we didn't get beaten by many goals most of the time is because McLeish set out to draw 0-0 or win 1-0 but once we'd conceded that first goal he was happy to defend that. Opposition teams knew this as well.

Look, we're poor right now but FFS shit players like the ones mentioned above aren't the answer!

All of those players (especially Hutton and Warnock) were part of the reason why we did so poorly in the first place. Our defence was shocking last season. The only reason why we didn't get beaten by many goals most of the time is because McLeish set out to draw 0-0 or win 1-0 but once we'd conceded that first goal he was happy to defend that. Opposition teams knew this as well.

Look, we're poor right now but FFS shit players like the ones mentioned above aren't the answer!

we conceded 2 more goals than newcastle who were 5th and we only conceded 7 more than cheese who were 6th last year. The defense was not that shocking. We concerned 13 less than Norwich who actually were shocking at the back last year

As predicted

The point is that despite the obvious set backs we are slowly moving away from the relegation zone. A win on Saturday will cement that.

Just to step in here.

A team that ships 12 in two can be hardly described as improving.

we conceded 2 more goals than newcastle who were 5th and we only conceded 7 more than cheese who were 6th last year. The defense was not that shocking. We concerned 13 less than Norwich who actually were shocking at the back last year

And who was our manager back then?