Relegation

Amo69

The Drop  

609 members have voted

1. 1. Will Villa Go Down?

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

Thats why CI we should have snapped up players such as Johnson, Berbatov and Adam in this window.

What makes you think Berbatov would have chosen us over his old manager back in London?

He was not an option for us even if we'd wanted him so there is no point banging that drum over and over again.

Well we'll never know will we because we paid 7m for another striker who at the moment would look poor at Rangers!

Remember CI we bid for Clint Dempsey. Would he not also have been on 'mega wages?'

no fulham player (including berbatov) is or was on mega wages, and dempsey moved to spurs, another club who have a very strict wage structure.

Clint Demspey may have been at the top end of what we're willling to pay.

We've had this conversation on at least one other thread, we do have room to pay some players high end wages, Bent, Given, Gabby, Ireland etc. Dempsey probably would have slotted into that group, but we never even got close to discussing terms with him so it's all academic. we might have bid for him and then failed to agree terms, it happens in footy.

What is implied in the way we did business is that we could not have afforded to sign Adam, Johnson and Berbatov and keep Bent, Ireland, Gabby and probably even Given.

Yes both our opinions are purely speculative but we could have also agreed to Dempsey's wage demands and thats always been my point. Why bid for such a player knowing that his wage demands were going to be high unless you were prepared to pay it?

Thats why CI we should have snapped up players such as Johnson, Berbatov and Adam in this window.

What makes you think Berbatov would have chosen us over his old manager back in London?

He was not an option for us even if we'd wanted him so there is no point banging that drum over and over again.

Well we'll never know will we because we paid 7m for another striker who at the moment would look poor at Rangers!

Buying a player coming to the end of his career on mega wages, when we're trying to reduce our wage bill makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Buying a player at the start of his career, who the manager thinks GIVEN TIME will be a steal makes sense all round.

Buying a player coming to the end of his career on mega wages, when we're trying to reduce our wage bill makes absolutely no sense whatsoever. Buying a player at the start of his career, who the manager thinks GIVEN TIME will be a steal makes sense all round.

Not when you've been fighting the possibility of relegation for the past two seasons because of a dearth of quality in the team. Why then risk a third season when you could have brought quality to first stablize the club in the Premiership thereby allowing Lambert to play the lower league players at the right time.

Charlie Adam ? You cannot be serious !

Berbatov & Johnson are unrealistic as they're both on mega wages.

What we should have done was keep Gary Cahill and build a team around him.

Remember CI we bid for Clint Dempsey. Would he not also have been on 'mega wages?'

Charlie Adam in my humble opinion is still better than anything we have got in midfield at the moment.

In my opinion, I think the Dempsey bid was a move to try and force Genk's hand into selling us Benteke, Villa knew Dempsey wouldn't come to Villa as other bigger clubs were very close to signing him. Genk shit themselves and realised Villa were looking elsewhere and eventually came to an agreement over Benteke with Villa.

I can also not fatham how you believe Charlie Adam would be better than the likes of Holman/KEA. Holman running his heart out none stop and KEA being able just hold the ball so well and just distribute passes.

Charlie Adam is utter shite - my opinion.

We've had this conversation on at least one other thread, we do have room to pay some players high end wages, Bent, Given, Gabby, Ireland etc. Dempsey probably would have slotted into that group, but we never even got close to discussing terms with him so it's all academic. we might have bid for him and then failed to agree terms, it happens in footy.

What is implied in the way we did business is that we could not have afforded to sign Adam, Johnson and Berbatov and keep Bent, Ireland, Gabby and probably even Given.

Yes both our opinions are purely speculative but we could have also agreed to Dempsey's wage demands and thats always been my point. Why bid for such a player knowing that his wage demands were going to be high unless you were prepared to pay it?

There was a theory going round that we did this to get Benteke's club to get a move on and agree our bid. 7m is a lot to Genk; they were trying to get more, so we made it look it look like we were looking elsewhere. I think one of the Sky reporters came up with this theory on the day. Probably BS as it sounds far fetched, but stranger things have happened.

We were sent identical messages Mantis which instructed both of us to leave our respective posts alone. There was nothing else specified and i will now leave it to the mods to instruct as they see fit!
We were instructed to, and I quote: "don't continue arguments and discussions over multiple pages and threads". The ironic thing is that's now happening not because I responded to your point on how we supposedly haven't imrpoved but because you keep on insisting on carrying on the argument over what you interpreted the private message from the mods to mean. I don't know why you can't drop this and just get back to the actual topic.

How exactly is Adam better than anything we have in midfield anyway? What makes him so special?

It is my understanding that in order to talk to a player about contract terms you have to have formally approached the club and be in the process of agreeing a fee. Unless you start 'tapping' players up.

Therefore we made an enquiry about a player we were interested in, the club accepted our fee but the player turned us down outright before we even got to a position to talk contract terms and wages.

We may have been going into that negotiation (Had it happened) with a maximum figure we were prepared to pay and that figure may or may not have been acceptable to the player, but we never got that far.

I certainly do not think it was a fake bid even if the chances of succesful contract negotiations were slim.

I'd be surprised if a lot of business wasn't done in the same way which is why we tend to keep things quiet as a club.

Not when you've been fighting the possibility of relegation for the past two seasons because of a dearth of quality in the team. Why then risk a third season when you could have brought quality to first stablize the club in the Premiership thereby allowing Lambert to play the lower league players at the right time.

The problem you can create then is when you've still got other players on high wages as well, and you try to buy other players or renew the contracts of current squad members (Bent, Gabby etc). Due to footballers egos, they see other players at the squad on high wages and want a piece of the action. Look at Citeh, everytime they renew a contract or buy a player he is asking for astonomical amounts.

Also you can create arguments within the squad. At the moment every player we're purchasing knows what the wage structure is, and the environemnt they are coming into.

I think the club have put a line in the sane to stop the spiralling amount going on wages, and said we 're planning more long term rather than short term.

We also need strength in depth, so why spend so much of your resources on a 31 year old.

The problem you can create then is when you've still got other players on high wages as well, and you try to buy other players or renew the contracts of current squad members (Bent, Gabby etc). Due to footballers egos, they see other players at the squad on high wages and want a piece of the action. Look at Citeh, everytime they renew a contract or buy a player he is asking for astonomical amounts.

Also you can create arguments within the squad. At the moment every player we're purchasing knows what the wage structure is, and the environemnt they are coming into.

I think the club have put a line in the sane to stop the spiralling amount going on wages, and said we 're planning more long term rather than short term.

We also need strength in depth, so why spend so much of your resources on a 31 year old.

Yeah a valid point, we can't hope to keep hold of players like KEA and Vlaar if they see half the 1st team earning twice what they do.

Charlie Adam ? You cannot be serious !

Berbatov & Johnson are unrealistic as they're both on mega wages.

What we should have done was keep Gary Cahill and build a team around him.

Charlie Adam in my humble opinion is still better than anything we have got in midfield at the moment.

In my opinion, I think the Dempsey bid was a move to try and force Genk's hand into selling us Benteke, Villa knew Dempsey wouldn't come to Villa as other bigger clubs were very close to signing him. Genk shit themselves and realised Villa were looking elsewhere and eventually came to an agreement over Benteke with Villa.

I can also not fatham how you believe Charlie Adam would be better than the likes of Holman/KEA. Holman running his heart out none stop and KEA being able just hold the ball so well and just distribute passes.

Charlie Adam is utter shite - my opinion.

Totall agree with the bit I have highlighted. I don't quite agree that Adam is shite, more that is an average player and nothing special.

With Adam Liverpool made the mistake of buying the best player in poor side as we almost certainly did with N'Zogbia. The fact none of the bigger clubs wanted Adam tells you all you you need to know.

Again apart from Adam, the other two would not have joined. Berbatov I don't know how many times I have to tell you would not have come here if we paid him at least 100k, he is on a huge whack at Fulham. Johnson returns up North so don't know what makes you think we would have got him anyway.

Are you in contact with either the board at Fulham or our club to know exactly what wages Berbatov would have accepted?

If you are then thats fair enough but if your not and just relying on a hunch or reports in the tabloids then it could have been at least a possibility that Berbatov would have come to our club.

You also forget that we were prepared to pay the wages of Clint Dempsey unless that was a fake bid?

So should we not read papers, then who i suspect possibly know more than us in terms of what a player is getting paid? Jol even stated that sometimes you have to pay for quality they have broken their 50k ceiling to bring in Berbatov, and is rumoured to be on 100k. On top of that the other pulls of Fulham which you fail to forget, is it's London, second his previous manager is also there. You have your views on Benteke, if we call Bent lazy then don't know what you'd call Berbatov, the man turns it on when he wants. Clint Dempsey was below a 50k ceiling at Fulham, so he would have possibly demanded between 60 and 70k, but no way could we afford a Berbatov package.

Because we have a working relationship with fulham (Lerner & Al Fayed are buddies) we probably had first dibs on Dempsey. Nothing more than that. Doesn't mean he was ever coming here.