Player testimonial's

mikeyp102

Gabby is probably due one any moment - I think he made his first team debut in 2004 or 2005?

Petrov wouldnt be due one til 2016.

Barry should have had one in 2008 - but they probably decided against it after his "come and get me, Liverpool" quotes in the papers.

Think that testimonials have changed with the income players have. Think they still have a place to give appreciation for excellent service but only if the money is given to a charity. I'm sure if Petrov decided to call it a day, a testimonial with all money going to a leukemia charity would attract a huge crowd.

Agree with the charity sentiment. Plus, if a player gets a testimonial because he has had to retire prematurely through injury then that's another reason a testimonial might have been appropriate. Though I agree with Bicks that in the PL era even that might be pushing it because by the time he has played anything like long enough, he'll be minted.

It's an ancient and somewhat disgusting tradition we thankfully seem to have seen the back of.

Rewarding someone that earns more in a week than most/all in a year with another pay day is quite extraordinary.

Back in the day when wages were much much lower I could just about stomach it, but not in the last 20 years or so.

The Gordon Cowans one still sends a shiver down my spine. The clubs all time best player and about 4k turned up. Half of which were from Stoke

It's an ancient and somewhat disgusting tradition we thankfully seem to have seen the back of.

Rewarding someone that earns more in a week than most/all in a year with another pay day is quite extraordinary.

Back in the day when wages were much much lower I could just about stomach it, but not in the last 20 years or so.

The Gordon Cowans one still sends a shiver down my spine. The clubs all time best player and about 4k turned up. Half of which were from Stoke

Was that the last one we've had?

Agreed, the modern player has no need for a testimonial unless it is to raise money for a selected charity or cause. This way the player can get the acknowledgement of his service to the club but also raise money for a worthy cause rather than topping up their already substantial bank balance (and if they have blown all their earnings e.g Lee Hendrie then more fool them). I hope that would be the case with Stan and an organisation like Leukaemia & Lymphoma Research, he has been an excellent servant to the club, fully deserves appreciation and acknowledgement for his time and efforts at Villa and would be raising funds to a very worthy cause. Football players need to re-enter the real world and take heed from sportsmen and women like many of the olympians, sport and achievement first over money.

mcgrath's against the blues only got about 10-15k as well i think, so i would dread to think what the likes of gabby would attract

petrov would probably be a bit different, plus it would be against septic so all the plastic paddies would be about in force

mcgrath's against the blues only got about 10-15k as well i think, so i would dread to think what the likes of gabby would attract

petrov would probably be a bit different, plus it would be against septic so all the plastic paddies would be about in force

McGrath's testimonial was in a different era in football terms and the publicity and promotion it was given was relatively low key, if I recall correctly.

In this era of Premier League football being far more global and with the internet and heightened media attention, a testimonial for Gabby, marketed correctly, could pull in a much bigger crowd. It could be tied in with a summer friendly match against a top European club, too. If done well it would pull in thousands.

(On another note, I just wanted to say how the Blues supporters were superb all those years ago and they gave McGrath a great reception on his big day. That's always stuck with me.)

McGrath's testimonial was in a different era in football terms and the publicity and promotion it was given was relatively low key, if I recall correctly.

In this era of Premier League football being far more global and with the internet and heightened media attention, a testimonial for Gabby, marketed correctly, could pull in a much bigger crowd. It could be tied in with a summer friendly match against a top European club, too. If done well it would pull in thousands.

(On another note, I just wanted to say how the Blues supporters were superb all those years ago and they gave McGrath a great reception on his big day. That's always stuck with me.)

I stewarded that night & to be fair to the noses that showed up, they gave him a great reception when he thanked them for coming along. Didnt have to and given their bitter, jealous hatred of us, it was a nice surprise.

Â