Guild Wars 2

villarule123

My most anticipated game of 2012.

Played all the beta and stress tests and it's shaping up to be an absolute gem. The first GW (although technically not an MMO) is still one of my favourite games ever and I think the pull of having no subscription fees will see it become one of the most successful MMO's ever.

Roll on August 25th.

I'm going to get it. I like the idea of a polished mmo I can dip in and out of. Now and again i get an urge to play WOW again but the time restrictions of the rading endgame put me off.

I enjoyed warhammers pvp and the open quests which I hear this has. I havent really spent much time looking into it yet but does anyone have any tips on the most fun classes to play? (I like healing the most).

Only possible downside is it might push my computer, I could play SWTOR ok but now and again it struggled.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not impressed with the new WoW expansion so i might pick this up. Played all the other Guild wars from the first to Eye of the North. I though it was a brilliant game, but WoW was better at the time. Right now WoW doesn't have the good feel anymore. Ill pick this us when it comes out, but no doubt ill be back on WoW some time in the future.

I was lucky that my friend got a spare activation code in his copy of the original Guild Wars so he gave it to me for free. It was okay, he got bored though so I didn't have anyone to quest with and I don't play MMORPG's much anyway so I got bored too eventually.

GW2 does look very interesting though, and no subscription fees you say? I might have to think about looking into this more seriously now.

I wish they'd get more imaginative with CEs.

I used to buy them to support the devs of games I really liked and the normal soundtrack, artbook, and ingame items are fine. But why do they all think people want some big ugly game model? I tend to hide them, they're a bit geeky even for me, and I have a Starcraft poster on my office wall.

More on topic, where are people playing? I'm probably going to end up playing on Gunnar's Hold with some people from Rock Paper Shotgun.

Only a few days to go, and I still can't decide which of the professions I prefer the most.

So, what's the difference between this and WoW for example. In the end, I was fed up with WoW because a) Endgame raiding was just not possible for me and B) 99% of other players were absolute arse-ends.

So, what's the difference between this and WoW for example. In the end, I was fed up with WoW because a) Endgame raiding was just not possible for me and B) 99% of other players were absolute arse-ends.

Well, the endgame is definitely NOT what GW2 is all about. It's much more about the journey and the game is geared towards exploration and exciting PvP that isn't Rock/Paper/Scissors.

There is also a lack of the classic 'holy trinity' of tank/healer/dps. Every class has it's own set of interchangeable skill sets that are used according to situation.

If you go into it thinking 'I've got to get to 80 as quick as possible and then do all the dungeons' you will be disappointed. The questing system is quite different from the usual 'go to A and kill 10 boars' type thing too.

Regarding the community. Well, all MMO's have their share of arseholes (WoW especially) but if it's anything like GW1 community it will be decent.

Picked up the following from another site, sort of covers a bit more info about Endgame:

"Guild Wars 2 has no end game. You go back to previous zones or lower level zones if you haven't been there to play the content you missed while leveling. You are scaled down to about 1 or 2 levels above the zone monster level cap, experience is a little less but you can still play there. The game makes it easy to play with lower level friends.

No, there isn't stat progressions past 80. The best stuff you'll get is Exotic at level 80 and that is the highest level of stats on gear. Legendaries are super hard, time-consuming crafted weapons through the Mystic Forge/Crafting/Random and hard shit in the world to create super badass looking weapons to show people how badass you are. Legendaries will take stats from specific Exotic weapons. Legendaries are for cosmetic effect, no added abilities. You keep getting skill points at level 80 to: A)Buy the rest of your skills, or B)Buy stuff from the Mystic Forge, some items of which you'll need for the Legendaries.

Plus explorable dungeons. There are, and ArenaNet has said this, 8 dungeons, and a total of 25 different paths in total you could take to complete dungeons. One dungeon may have 3 paths in explorable mode, another may have 4. But in total, there are 25, so it's like having 25 dungeons to do at max level. Explorable dungeons are HARD and take some coordination. You do these dungeons for awesome-looking gear.

There's so much to do in this game. Jumping puzzles, map completions, WvW, sPvP, TOURNAMENTS FOR GOLD, dynamic events, Orr, mini dungeons with PUZZLES and BOSSES THAT RAIN LOOT, explorable dungeons, personal story, Legendaries, crafting."

Oh and here in even more detail.

Hope that helps Mart. :thumb:

To add to what Designer1 has said, I really don't think we'll see B). It was certainly a much nicer community in the beta than WoW has ever had.

I think the core difference between GW2 and WoW when it comes to community, is that in WoW, everyone is a competitor. Outright enemies on the other faction, but you don't want people of your own faction around either, unless they're friends.

They steal your herbs/mine nodes, they tag your mobs, and just generally ruin your experience when you're out in the open world, it's good when players around you die, you can play the game instead of standing around waiting your turn.

None of this is the case in GW2. If more players turn up in an area, the event gets bigger and more challenging. You all get credit for every kill. More players being around makes the experience better, because they're allies in more than name. And you don't have to dick around inviting people to form parties, it all just happens naturally.

Ah **** it. On the character creation screen and I've attempted it about ten times now, yet I'm unable to go past it. Guess the servers can't cope so I'll login later. May not be on Underworld afterall...

EDIT: I'm now onto the server and it is Underworld. See you lot on there.

Just had a couple of hours on it and I really like it so far. The WvW seems like it will be great fun, although not many people were doing it at this early stage.

I'll be back on when I'm back from the match tonight (around 8-9pm).

Â