Aston Villa Academy 2012/13

AndyClarke

Thought we should have a thread for the new season considering that there a few people that take an interest in Academy football.

Rather than have an U18 thread, I thought it might be better to encompass the whole academy as it is not unusual for players from younger age groups to be discussed.

Yup. No harm making it seasonal too (as you've done). That way we can more easily track the comers and goers from season to season.

I've done a bit of research and I think the lads below are the latest scholars. I'm sure more names will come out in the next few weeks.

Jerell Sellars - Forward - Signed from Lincoln City last season.

Courtney Wildin - Left Back - Signed from Highfield Rangers last season.

Danny O'Brien - Right Winger - Signed from Everton last season.

Ben Hodges - Left Back/Left Wing - Come through the Academy.

Robin Dempsey - Centre Back - Signed from North End United (Ireland).

Jordan Lyden - Right Back - Young Australian who was travelling to train with Villa during school holidays. Played for U18s last season but will still be part of the U16s.

As mentioned in last seasons thread, I have some circumstantial evidence that suggests we may have signed highly rated 13 year old Foday Nabay from Birmingham City. The evidence that I gathered is below, hopefully it is not a massive coincidence as it sounds like he is going to be one to watch for the future.

1) He's started talking to Jordan Graham

2) He tweeted on 20th "An other nyt that I Cnt sleep ffs match for 18's tomoro as well :(". According to his location, this tweet was from Birmingham.

3) On 21st he tweeted "On the coach first game of the season18's :)". According to his location he was literally just around the corner from Bodymoor Heath.

4) Villa U18s played Burton Albion U18s on 21st in Burton and won 3-1.

5) He tweeted "Good game won 3 - 1 #poppinghell! Under 18s" his location was showing as halfway down the A38 between Burton and Birmingham.

6) He later tweeted "@DimmyNo7 Hard u scored a banger fam well done bro Very Happy" to a lad who plays for Birmingham City U18s, they won 3-0. So he wasn't playing for them.

The Under 18s kicked off preseason with a game away at Burton Albion (played at the FA's new facility). Villa running out 3-1 winners with goals from Umit Eminoglu, Bradley Lewis and an OG.

I gather that a youth side is taking on Blackburn today, not sure on the age group of this team, but I will report the result in later if I can get it.

Great work Andy. I had never heard of the player until a couple of weeks ago but I do have contacts in the academy. I didn't want to ask if he had played at Burton so I just asked how is he doing. The reply came back "He is training well. He is class" You are definately on to something. He is 100% training with us anyway.

Â