• Henry Morgan
    • Francis Drake
    • Calico Jack
    • William Kidd
    • Mary Read
    • Robert Surcouf
    • Samuel Bellamy - a.k.a. Black Sam

250px-Pirate_Flag_of_Rack_Rackham.svg.png

I was having this student-esque debate with a mate the other day, and seeing as Haloween is tonight, you'll probably see loads of pirate costumes going around (especially if you live in a seaside town), with many shouts of "ahoy", "yaaarghh" and "avast, mangy swabs!"

Who was the best pirate?

For me - Blackbeard. A man who sets fire to his beard and smokes it - badass.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blackbeard

He had the best flag too:

150px-Pirate_Flag_of_Blackbeard_%28Edward_Teach%29.svg.png

Dopn't know too much about actual pirates but I went for William Kidd. Isn't he the one with that legendary huge treasure that every treasure-hunter wants to find at that they think is in the that hole on an island outside the canadian coast? The hole that is amazingly deep. Him anyway.

guess Blackbeard regrests having his hideway in Bangkok :-)

Treasure hunters diving on the wreck of Blackbeard's flagship have found evidence which suggests the pirate captain could have been suffering from venereal disease.

Blackbeard's Queen Anne's Revenge ran aground off North Carolina in June 1718.

Among the objects recovered from the wreck is a urethral syringe used to administer mercury into the penis for the treatment of vd.

Divers are making their first full-scale attempt to recover artefacts from the vessel since it was first discovered just over a mile off the coast, reports The Times.

Previous expeditions have found cannon, grenades, platters, flecks of gold, wine bottles and hundreds of ballast stones that give new clues to the lifestyle of 18th-Century pirates.

The period between 1689 and 1718 is known as the Gold Age of Piracy and Blackbeard was perhaps the most notorious pirate of the era, attacking merchant ships off the east coast of America.

He is believed to have worn two swords, numerous pistols and knives and a crimson coat.

He would take all the possessions of those who surrendered, but burn the boats and maroon the crews of those that did not.

It is also believed he would tie slow-burning cannon fuses to his long black hair before battle.

Â