Morals....?

Dodgyknees

What do you do, if you know somebody is paying to get likes on his Facebook page (no idea how, but he is) and is going to be asking for sponsorship based on his 'likes' and 'followers' on social networking?

I feel it is wrong.

What do you do, if you know somebody is paying to get likes on his Facebook page (no idea how, but he is) and is going to be asking for sponsorship based on his 'likes' and 'followers' on social networking?

I feel it is wrong.

Mate, you have no idea how HUGE a business that kind of thing is down in London. There are companies set up specifically to market others via social media. I know people who do it for a living and in fact it's something my company are exploring the idea of.

Sponsorship for what may I ask?

I feel it is wrong.

Mate, you have no idea how HUGE a business that kind of thing is down in London. There are companies set up specifically to market others via social media. I know people who do it for a living and in fact it's something my company are exploring the idea of.

Really?

Wow..

Basically its a person who is starting up a community paper, so would

have quite a lot to gain from it.

Btw - "Nothing. In a world of war, starvation, drug killings and corrupt bankers and politicians, it's pretty small beer."

Morals don't start or stop at those things. Most days are full of people in court and paying fines for small beer. You don't build society and morals with the big things, but with everything.

I feel it is wrong.

Really?

Wow..

Basically its a person who is starting up a community paper, so would

have quite a lot to gain from it.

Btw - "Nothing. In a world of war, starvation, drug killings and corrupt bankers and politicians, it's pretty small beer."

Morals don't start or stop at those things. Most days are full of people in court and paying fines for small beer. You don't build society and morals with the big things, but with everything.

Honestly, it's rife. There's technically nothing illegal about it, if you have the money they have the time.

Odd really that a community paper would go to such expense though? It's not cheap.

Didn't think it would be illegal. Just not sure a community paper with 200 likes should be doing it, local businesses struggle with finance as it is and giving them hope they will be seen by 30k people is wrong in my eyes.

(Yes they will be boosting it that much! - and I know through investigation and a mutual friend)

Seems unfair on a business here, when they could get more for their money elsewhere.

Didn't think it would be illegal. Just not sure a community paper with 200 likes should be doing it, local businesses struggle with finance as it is and giving them hope they will be seen by 30k people is wrong in my eyes.

(Yes they will be boosting it that much! - and I know through investigation and a mutual friend)

Seems unfair on a business here, when they could get more for their money elsewhere.

They are getting as much exposure as they can. Can you prove they are ripping people off? The more exposure the paper gets the more copies it will sell. 30 thousand likes on facebook will get it exposure.

Social media works. The advertising side of it works. It's tried and tested. Almost every media based company I come across has at least one person employed JUST to take care of their social media.

I find it immoral because I don't like living in a world where we can have our influences dictated to us by money. I think you're coming from an entirely different place. One I think you're wrong about.

Trust me. It works. It generates more income through sales than it costs 8 times out of 10. That is good for the people who want to advertise in it.

But how does that work if these profiles are based in Turkey and such? (they currently are most popular in Turkey) it makes no sense how paying for these can help people here.

Nothing. In a world of war, starvation, drug killings and corrupt bankers and politicians, it's pretty small beer.

Devil's advocate - should stealing in general be condoned, when wars and murders are being committed?

(not that I necessarily disagree with you - I don't really see any problem with this, apart from financial ones)

But how does that work if these profiles are based in Turkey and such? (they currently are most popular in Turkey) it makes no sense how paying for these can help people here.

Ah, well, now that's something a little different. You mean they are LITERALLY paying people to click "like". Hmmmm.

Regardless it IS raising the profile of the paper to UK based clientèle and subsequently readership, it will have a knock on effect. In any case anyone looking to advertise with this paper (and again you are only assuming they are changing over the odds) should themselves have the wherewithal to research what they're paying for? If they don't then they're on to a loser anyway, might as well pack up and go home.

Business is unforgiving. To survive, to excel you need to be ruthless. That's the way it is, like it or not (I'm on the fence).

Ah, well, now that's something a little different. You mean they are LITERALLY paying people to click "like". Hmmmm.

Regardless it IS raising the profile of the paper to UK based clientèle and subsequently readership, it will have a knock on effect. In any case anyone looking to advertise with this paper (and again you are only assuming they are changing over the odds) should themselves have the wherewithal to research what they're paying for? If they don't then they're on to a loser anyway, might as well pack up and go home.

does it matter if they are paying people to click?

there's nothing wrong with that as far as i can see.

• 2 weeks later...

When clicking 'like' on a webpage actually matters to the world. I've said it before and I'll say it again. Stop the world. I want to get off.

Â