Alzheimers and Coconut Oil

YLN

ufff

You have misunderstood the definition you looked up of the word cynicism. It does not relate to what you say serving your own interests, it relates to what you say being accusative and distrustful of someone else's words and ideas, due to a belief that people are generally selfish and have ulterior motives that serve their own interests. Nothing to do with a reflection your own intentions. 

Where an argument descends to one party defining words, especially incorrectly, it's time to step away.

Too true

cynical

ˈsɪnɪk(ə)l/

adjective

• believing that people are motivated purely by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.

"he was brutally cynical and hardened to every sob story under the sun"

• concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted standards in order to achieve them.

"a cynical manipulation of public opinion"

And yes mjmooney of course more research is required. I'm in no way saying it's a cure. Just drawing people's attention to my experience of it. Nonhydrogenated coconut oil is very healthy generally anyway. It's all I cook with, because its bonds stand up to heat in a way that olive oil does not, making it one of the most healthy cooking oils, if not the healthiest.

(You know this is coming.) That's quite a claim. Do you have any evidence to back that up?

Ah right.. Like a cynical foul in football. I hadn't ever considered that definition outside of a football context. Perhaps you need a greater range of interests if that was the definition you jumped to immediately.

Look it up yourself if you like. I'm not writing an academic paper here. At the moment there is a lot of debate over saturated fat and whether or not it's actually bad for the health. Coconut oil increases HDL. That's all I want to say on the subject. 

Ah right.. Like a cynical foul in football. I hadn't ever considered that definition outside of a football context. Perhaps you need a greater range of interests if that was the definition you jumped to immediately.

Thanks for patronising me, but that's the definition from the OED, not my opinion. If you only define words by how you use them in a footballing context then it's you who needs to broaden your interests.

Look it up yourself if you like. I'm not writing an academic paper here. At the moment there is a lot of debate over saturated fat and whether or not it's actually bad for the health. Coconut oil increases HDL. That's all I want to say on the subject.

You made a claim. I asked you about it. I'm well aware of the debate. You made a specific claim; surely it can't be that hard to find something that backs up something so specific. otherwise why would you believe it yourself? If it was to do with smoke points alone then there are many oils with higher smoke points. It's a shame you think it's okay to repeat something you heard anecdotally as fact and then say you don't want to talk about it.

Consider this me tossing in a hand grenade...  Seems there may be evidence to support yillan's thoughts.

Have at it - http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

All the studies it cites are clearly linked and indexed for further reference. Except they aren't :) It's almost a text book example of pseudo-science bullshit.

Thanks for patronising me, but that's the definition from the OED, not my opinion. If you only define words by how you use them in a footballing context then it's you who needs to broaden your interests.

You made a claim. I asked you about it. I'm well aware of the debate. You made a specific claim; surely it can't be that hard to find something that backs up something so specific. otherwise why would you believe it yourself? If it was to do with smoke points alone then there are many oils with higher smoke points. It's a shame you think it's okay to repeat something you heard anecdotally as fact and then say you don't want to talk about it.

I don't have the intelligence to continue this argument. You win

Consider this me tossing in a hand grenade...  Seems there may be evidence to support yillan's thoughts.

Have at it - http://authoritynutrition.com/top-10-evidence-based-health-benefits-of-coconut-oil/

All the studies it cites are clearly linked and indexed for further reference. Except they aren't :) It's almost a text book example of pseudo-science bullshit.

I've just noticed that it also implores the reader to use "organic, virgin coconut oil" and not more refined versions. If there is any health benefit to coconut oils then this will be utterly untrue. I wonder if it was written by an impartial party or someone who knows what percentage mark up each of those words is worth.

I know that the topical application of coconut oil can help with skin conditions

Is it particularly coconut oil for these particular skin conditions, or will any oil do?

I know that the topical application of coconut oil can help with skin conditions

Is it particularly coconut oil for these particular skin conditions, or will any oil do?

I was just mentioning that it can be beneficial when applied to the skin. Not sure about 'any oil', quite a broad spectrum, but I prefer coconut oil on my face over Crisp 'n Dry. 

Edited by samjp26
  • Like 3

Â