Alzheimers and Coconut Oil

YLN

Just some non hydrogenated coconut oil mixed with porridge every morning and she is able to do the clock test no problem after a couple of months.
Mixed in what proportion? i.e. how much oil per day?

Just thinking ahead, here. While I still can...

Just some non hydrogenated coconut oil mixed with porridge every morning and she is able to do the clock test no problem after a couple of months.

:lol:

:lol:

Joking aside, having seen what it did to my dad, it scares me shitless. No matter how fit and healthy I may be in other ways, if I've got that genetic timebomb lurking it's bad news. :-(

My father's girlfriend says they use a dessert spoon of the stuff per bowl. It's loaded with HDL aswell which is good for your cholesterol. She stresses that it has to be daily.

Whilst it is a horrible, sad disease I would have to say that at no point did my nan ever appear sad herself, in fact she always seemed quite happy. I suppose its because once you have it for so long you dont know you have it and everything would just appear normal to you because you dont know any different. Whereas my granddad he kept his faculties but started to die of old age and he had that many strokes we lost count. So if anything he probably suffered more because it was physical and he knew he was dying.

Bloody hell, I need a drink now.

• 1 year later...

I've heard that placebos still work even two years later.

I'm not sure when a woman doesn't know where she is, she's all that capable of benefiting from the placebo effect, but you can believe what you like.

I'm not sure when a woman doesn't know where she is, she's all that capable of benefiting from the placebo effect, but you can believe what you like.

Thanks for your permission.

Perhaps the placebo is affecting the observers rather than the patient.

A bit like when children drink sugary drinks and the only measurable effect is that the parents think the kids are more active afterwards.

Thanks for your permission.

Perhaps the placebo is affecting the observers rather than the patient.

A bit like when children drink sugary drinks and the only measurable effect is that the parents think the kids are more active afterwards.

Or the clock test goes from not even a circle to a complete clock face on the mini-cog and the other MMSEs and Addenbrookes test, as explained by the geriatrician, show unprecedented improvements. Please temper your cynicism unless you can express any degree of competency in the subject matter.

No. I'll continue to be sceptical until you can show a peer reviewed paper published in an acknowledged medical journal which backs your claim. Until then I won't believe any claim of medical efficacy based on anecdote.

No. I'll continue to be sceptical until you can show a peer reviewed paper published in an acknowledged medical journal which backs your claim. Until then I won't believe any claim of medical efficacy based on anecdote.

Scepticism is fine. Cynicism is aggressive. I am happy to celebrate and share the story about a person who made their way back from the end stages of Alzheimers, despite the absence of peer reviewed literature. It's had a curative effect for two people I know. The drugs for Alzheimers have had a curative effect for none of the people I know. Anecdotal evidence of success is better than overwhelming peer reviewed evidence of failure. I'm just telling people to maybe give it a chance and see if it has any effect

Placebos are not a bad thing and if they have a good effect then that's good. You seem to have read some kind of additional meaning into my use of the word "placebo" that you think makes my comment cynical. I don't understand how what I have said serves my own interests so I think you are using the wrong word. Cynical also doesn't imply aggression. Let's stick with sceptical.

Anecdotes are stories. The effect you are claiming is something for which a double blind experiment should be simple to devise and perform. Is there a reason why your people with a "degree of competency in the subject matter" haven't done so? As someone who donates regularly to dementia charities I am very keen that we do find real treatments, but I'm wholly against unscientific claims and don't believe they have any place in a serious discussion on dementia treatment.

Limpid makes a good point. It is quite possible that the person concerned has made a remarkable recovery. But the cause is unestablished until repeatable under controlled conditions. It may be due to other factors entirely unrelated to the coconut oil. Therefore, more research required.

Placebos are not a bad thing and if they have a good effect then that's good. You seem to have read some kind of additional meaning into my use of the word "placebo" that you think makes my comment cynical. I don't understand how what I have said serves my own interests so I think you are using the wrong word. Cynical also doesn't imply aggression. Let's stick with sceptical.

Anecdotes are stories. The effect you are claiming is something for which a double blind experiment should be simple to devise and perform. Is there a reason why your people with a "degree of competency in the subject matter" haven't done so? As someone who donates regularly to dementia charities I am very keen that we do find real treatments, but I'm wholly against unscientific claims and don't believe they have any place in a serious discussion on dementia treatment.

ufff

You have misunderstood the definition you looked up of the word cynicism. It does not relate to what you say serving your own interests, it relates to what you say being accusative and distrustful of someone else's words and ideas, due to a belief that people are generally selfish and have ulterior motives that serve their own interests. Nothing to do with a reflection your own intentions. 

Where an argument descends to one party defining words, especially incorrectly, it's time to step away. 

And yes mjmooney of course more research is required. I'm in no way saying it's a cure. Just drawing people's attention to my experience of it. Nonhydrogenated coconut oil is very healthy generally anyway. It's all I cook with, because its bonds stand up to heat in a way that olive oil does not, making it one of the most healthy cooking oils, if not the healthiest.

ufff

You have misunderstood the definition you looked up of the word cynicism. It does not relate to what you say serving your own interests, it relates to what you say being accusative and distrustful of someone else's words and ideas, due to a belief that people are generally selfish and have ulterior motives that serve their own interests. Nothing to do with a reflection your own intentions. 

Where an argument descends to one party defining words, especially incorrectly, it's time to step away.

Too true

cynical

ˈsɪnɪk(ə)l/

adjective

• believing that people are motivated purely by self-interest; distrustful of human sincerity or integrity.

"he was brutally cynical and hardened to every sob story under the sun"

• concerned only with one's own interests and typically disregarding accepted standards in order to achieve them.

"a cynical manipulation of public opinion"

And yes mjmooney of course more research is required. I'm in no way saying it's a cure. Just drawing people's attention to my experience of it. Nonhydrogenated coconut oil is very healthy generally anyway. It's all I cook with, because its bonds stand up to heat in a way that olive oil does not, making it one of the most healthy cooking oils, if not the healthiest.

(You know this is coming.) That's quite a claim. Do you have any evidence to back that up?

Â