Will rivalry with WBA take a hold now?

Pongotastic

With Blues seeemingly having bought a one way ticket to Nowheresville it's almost fair to say we might not be seeing them for a while. This could almost be a Stoke City/Port Vale rivalry.

As well as enjoying their decline, should we now also focus our energies on the dislike of Albion. To me, this is all too underrated but I personally cannot bear the Albion (and they don't seem all that keen on us). This has been especially bad of late, not least with them finishing above us.

To the older Villa fans, this is the proper derby.

For some reason I don't mind Wolves, but I cannot stand Albion.

Proximity isnt it? The Hawthorns is ten minutes from Villa Park, and probably quicker to get to than St Andrews in normal traffic. Wolves is almost as far away as Coventry.

I dont think the Villa - West Brom rivalry will ever be as nasty as Villa - Blues was for those first five years of them getting back into the Premier League, but it certainly will move back towards the level it used to be when I was a kid.

I was thinking about this after reading the sha thread. I believe the rivalry will intensify but for now it is a little one-sided.

Personally I don't mind West Brom and have never had a problem with their fans. This is in stark contrast to small heath.

I was thinking about this after reading the sha thread. I believe the rivalry will intensify but for now it is a little one-sided.

Personally I don't mind West Brom and have never had a problem with their fans. This is in stark contrast to small heath.

spot on

• Like 1

Yeah agreed. WBA don't seem to have the same trouble making pricks following them that Blues have.

That said, a rivalry is a rivalry and would love to see the Tesco carrier bags go the same way as Blues.

Small team in Handsworth!

Your're just a small team in Handsworth!

Small team in Handsworth!

You're just a small team in Handsworth!

:D

Proximity isnt it? The Hawthorns is ten minutes from Villa Park, and probably quicker to get to than St Andrews in normal traffic. Wolves is almost as far away as Coventry.

Tbh the ground location means little.

Most fans do not live near the stadium.

I think rivalries might just be for young people, the older I've gotten, the less I given a shit about other teams. I remember being ecstatic 11 odd years ago when Blues lost in a play off pen shootout. The other night I was pretty non-plussed.

People like TRS-T might love 'the banter' but I just find it boring :(

'lol Blose lost'

'lol we gave you Mcleish and he's shit'

meh

I think rivalries might just be for young people, the older I've gotten, the less I given a shit about other teams. I remember being ecstatic 11 odd years ago when Blues lost in a play off pen shootout. The other night I was pretty non-plussed.

People like TRS-T might love 'the banter' but I just find it boring :(

'lol Blose lost'

'lol we gave you Mcleish and he's shit'

meh

I've gone the other way. The older I've got the more I dislike them.... In fact over the last 18 months I would go as far to say that I almost get as much pleasure from them losing as us winning.

I understand this does probably make me sound fairly small time.

i think the rivalry only got big because of the whole first defeat to them. if we didnt lose that game in that fashion followed by lily savage get taken for a mug by big dion then this rivalry would not have got so big

Tbh the ground location means little.

Most fans do not live near the stadium.

I only quote this for the remarkable irony factor ;-)

Sadly I'm not sure the noses have bought a one way ticket to Nowheresville. They weren't far off this season and there's nothing to suggest they'll be any weaker next season. Our rivalry with WBA will become more relevant maybe. Thanks to Wolves, we're now the one West Midlands derby left in the league and it'll have more gravitas for that one fact. But in the grand scheme of things no, I don't think anything will change. I've always regarded West Brom as our proper derby for the fact that as well as being goeographically close, they've actually won stuff in their history. They've been an actual football rival at times, where the noses really haven't. Wolves have also been a rival but are further away. So the Baggies/Throstles have 2 boxes ticked where the noses only have 1.

you dont think blues are done for? i think they struck gold with hughton and wont get that lucky again, surprised wolves didnt for him will be even more surprised if the baggies dont, that with the player sales is a big enough nail, throw in egg fu being sent down and the finances going the way of portsmouth i cant see anything but doom for them

baggies is a great derby IMO all the banter at work and in the pub but none of the early kick offs, getting pissed to enjoy it, games that cant live up to the hype (apart from the obvious), flares, violence, rocket polishers etc

As a Villa fan I err on the pessimistic side of realism. So until the noses are absolutely gone, I can always see a way back for them :?

Â