Will rivalry with WBA take a hold now?

Pongotastic

It's bad enough their fans hijack our Petrov tribute but for the official club media to revel in it is pathetic.

**** em. Let them have there moment in the sun, they've spent a large part of the last 30 years in the lower leagues, of course there gonna take the piss. The fact they spend all there efforts on chanting about how shit we are instead of cheering there own players.

I quite like seeing them do well. Don't really feel any animosity towards them at all. Thats a good analogy really 'little friendly club round the corner' thats pretty much how I think of them too, I just couldn't put it into words.

I used to go and watch the Baggies when we were away; them or Kiddy Harriers. I've no feelings about them at all. I don't watch for their results. If they're doing well, then good for them. If they think success is being better than us, then that's a bit sad but hardly surprising given the last 20 years. I feel similarly about Coventry, except that I probably dislike Coventry just a little bit because of just how bad we were treated at Highfield Road.

most successfull clubs in the west midlands surely have to be 1) villa. 2) Wolves . 3) west brom 4) Blues 5) walsall

You missed Coventry who I'd argue are also ahead of sha in terms of honours seeing as they are past FA cup winners.

It's a one sided rivalry. I don't mind WBA grew up a few streets away from the hawthorns when living in Handsworth. They just gloating and don't blame them. They are better than us and have been last couple of season. But like blues they base their success on how we are doing.... They will never be a proper derby match only SHA.

If it doesn't take hold it certainly won't be through lack of trying on their part.

I don't think I've ever seen a group of fans so desperate for attention. They're like a toddler, a z-list celeb and a psychotic ex-girlfriend all rolled into one. I'm surprised Shane Long isn't leaving me voicemail's at 4 in the morning.

Those Baggie Boilers sure do miss us so.

Edited by flamingsombrero

did anyone else get sent pics of the empty seats at VP from saturday with comments such as "hahaha you only had 33k fans #bigclub" etc

the obvious reply of course gets "yeah but if we had a 42k stadium we'd fill it"

it feels more desperate than the blues rivalry

I don't think they've once sold out their pathetic little stadium this season. Always a nothing club and getting as bad as the blues with post on Facebook like " still top team in the midlands" even after losing.

I don't think they've once sold out their pathetic little stadium this season. Always a nothing club and getting as bad as the blues with post on Facebook like " still top team in the midlands" even after losing.

The favourite one by them at the moment is we know what we are..pride of midlands...

Hmm yeah ok then....apparently they booed Chris brunt against fulham... And we're called fickle.. Booing your captain and one of your best players because you lose one game, in your best ever season.....plus that 8 minute thing is pathetic... Proper smalltime

I think someone on the last page mentioned the word 'desperate' and I think that sums up the current state of this rivalry.

I have never come across another club who are so desperate for another club to hate them back and, sadly, because of the state of the Villa on the pitch at the moment some of our younger supporters are (naturally, I guess) beginning to bite.

But looking at the rivalry on the whole, it is very one-sided and certainly not a patch on the Second City derby. Between Villa and Blues (whether you like it or not) there is genuine hatred, on both sides, and I don't mind admitting that despite our superiority over them for practically our entire history. We share the same city and I can't stand them or anything about their grotty club.

But with Albion they are so obsessed with us - they so want to reignite the rivalry of old - and I guess that is borne out of a club based in a place where it is difficult to have an identity. Are they in Birmingham? Are they in the Black Country? Is Wolves their biggest rivalry? Even their own fans don't know the answers to these questions so we are hardly likely to.

Make no mistake though, their fans hate us with a passion. But it's more a jealous hate whereas Blues' fans are just, mainly, barbaric animals. And to be fair, as other have said, some of our fans are only too happy to reciprocate,

They (Albion) literally never stop singing about us, and that 8th minute applause is honestly the most small-time thing I've ever seen from any club. To think WBA's media department thought tweeting that was in any way sensible, productive, balanced, or professional is, well, just scary. I'd not be wanting to highlight or promote anything as downright petty as that but I guess that is the mentality which runs right the way through that club.

Albion, of course, are not the only other Midlands club (other than Blues) to sing about us as Coventry still do to this day. In fact, at a match with Shrewsbury Town last month their loudest chant heard by the away fans was 'SOTV' - so make of that what you will.

What it comes down to is that Aston Villa have, for a long time, been by and away the West Midlands most successful club. That is down partly to our own success but also the failure of our local rivals collectively. It is natural, now that we seem to be on a decline of sorts, for the other teams to revel in our apparent demise and I guess they have every right to.

I don't like Albion at all, and I think this 'friendly club' tag is getting a bit old now. I'd describe them as a bitter club, full of bitter individuals, and come the game later this month I will treat it as a full-blown derby game. But, in reality, I don't hate them and Albion will always play second fiddle for myself and many other Villa fans in the derby stakes. Reading that last sentence, I realise, will anger many Tesco shirt-wearers but it's the truth.

• Like 1

Agree with that. Most of my wife's family support the albion and constantly Ho on about the rivalry, and I just have no idea what they're talking about.

Until now they have always been that small harmless club down the road. Maybe tines have changed and we'll have to accept that we're currently not the top Midlands team as we've been used to. I hope they enjoy that honour as it won't last long.

In the late 70s, early 80s, the rivalry was pretty intense and there were some cracking games between the two clubs. Mind you, I think a lot of people hated the Albion for a particular reason back then, ie the 3 Degrees. I can remember the shower of fruit that greeted Laurie Cunningham at the Hawthorns back in 1978 (Hugh Johns on Star Soccer commented that supporters were "throwing missiles" onto the pitch. It wasn't just the "R" word though, the fact that they were a bunch of dirty b*stards helped too, particularly Ally Brown who was responsible for breaking Alex Cropley's leg amongst other things. They were a tough team to play against back then.

BTW, I'm not condoning the racism that was directed at Regis, Cunningham and Batson, I'm just saying what went on.

Â