Will rivalry with WBA take a hold now?

Pongotastic

i think the rivalry only got big because of the whole first defeat to them. if we didnt lose that game in that fashion followed by lily savage get taken for a mug by big dion then this rivalry would not have got so big

When the noses were promoted in 2002 they were dealing with about 15 years of pent-up tension of living in our shadow. Their fans on that first match at the Sty were like a load of recently released rapists being taken to an illicit sex show to celebrate their freedom, salivating with desperation just to be playing football on the same level as us. Forever in our shadow, they thought they had caught up with us. I also remember a lot of Villa fans who were looking forward to the banter before the first match.

What happened was unprecedented. We all expected to win that match. We **** up. For the chav fans on both sides (yes, we have our fair share as well) the touch paper had been well and truly lit. Villa were clearly disappointed, but Blues were ecstatic, gloating like they had just enjoyed a gothic three-way with Keira Knightly and Sienna Miller. Or in a Bluenoses case, Dot Cotton and Pat Butcher...

We were pissed off, but Blues were ecstatic. They had to gloat, they had taken the local bragging rights at the first time of asking. This spilled over into a bit of brawling, which - given the wankfest the noses had for this match - was perhaps an expected crescendo.

I remember going to work the following day and putting up with knuckle draggers behaving like they had won the world cup. The home leg the following March was always going to be a nightmare, and the wankfest generated by both the noses and the chav Villa fans guaranteed a hostile atmosphere. An atmosphere that was so gash, my old man refused to renew his season ticket at the end of the season. I can't single out the noses as the cause of trouble, there were plenty of Villa fans that take a share of the blame for the proceedings.

But, we were shit that season and they got to us. I was disappointed of the results, but I was more disappointed of the behaviour of both sets of fans. Local rivalry is good for banter, but what the noses (and the chav Villa fans) brought to the table was not banter, it was pent up stupidity that they accelerated to violence. That is not football, and it is certainly nothing I would miss if it never occurred again.

Remember, playing Aston Villa is a Birmingham City fan's cup final. I just consider them another team, nothing more, nothing less.

Imagine you are driving a formula one car in a Grand Prix. You are driving well and are currently 5th out of 22 cars, with only a third of the race to go. Are you more bothered about the car straggling at the back of the pack in 19th - or the cars in front that are setting the pace? I'd rather be looking to the stars than the gutter...

I also believe the repeated delay of their financial results is because they are close to or already insolvent. I believe they were hoping to get promoted before they declare their situation, so as to secure the financial reward of promotion and the subsequent parachute payments if they were relegated next season. It's all gone tits up for them now though.

They are already subjected to a transfer embargo, and I suspect administration, combined with the imprisonment of Carson Yeung, could almost be an inevitability. A player fire sale and a points deduction, combined with a search for a new manager would render them highly unlikely to be challenging at the top of the Championship next year.

I suspect one or more of the above factors to kick in over the summer and the rapid descent to begin. I suspect their stock is not worth too much at present, meaning Yeung might also be reluctant to cash in...

Did we used to sing about Small Heath pre-2002?

Yes.

I'd walk a mile and a bit to rub his face in the shit

I can remember booing at half time if they winning.But that was when all games were played at the same time on a Saturday and we were more concerned with the opposition.

• 7 months later...

Yeah I really don't care about West Brom. They're just a little friendly club around the corner. Have no opinion on them either way. I find it hilarious when they sing songs about us, yet we don't have one song for them.

Edited by PieFacE

I quite like seeing them do well. Don't really feel any animosity towards them at all. Thats a good analogy really 'little friendly club round the corner' thats pretty much how I think of them too, I just couldn't put it into words.

Edit: Linekar was trying to spice it up a bit on MOTD yesterday by asking Dion Dublin if WBA could get into Europe, still didn't really bother me if they do well. I have about as much rivalry with WBA as I do with Stoke.

Edited by HalfTimePost

Like I said prior I really dont care about West Brom as a club. They have achieved even less than blose that speaks volumes

That's not true at all, is it? West Brom have been Champions of England and have won the FA cup five times. The Blues have won the league cup twice compared to West Brom's once, but that is all they have.

Birmingham , for me will always be our main rivals.

and without them in the prem, and wont be again for a while, if ever..... will make our next meeting with them that little bit more special as we havent played them for a good while.

Dont mind the albion if im honest. Though a lot of their supporters that grew up in the 60's, 70's &early 80's see us as the main rival instead of wolves.

That's not true at all, is it? West Brom have been Champions of England and have won the FA cup five times. The Blues have won the league cup twice compared to West Brom's once, but that is all they have.

most successfull clubs in the west midlands surely have to be 1) villa. 2) Wolves . 3) west brom 4) Blues 5) walsall

did anyone else get sent pics of the empty seats at VP from saturday with comments such as "hahaha you only had 33k fans #bigclub" etc

the obvious reply of course gets "yeah but if we had a 42k stadium we'd fill it"

it feels more desperate than the blues rivalry

Â