Grand National 2012

LoughboroughLion

Its just the amount that fall in the bigger events seems to be increasing.

That's a very different argument to it wouldn't be 'missed one bit'.

I'm also quite unsure whether it is the case that there are more fallers in big events.

I don't dislike it, but I think it should be made a lot safer.

It has been made safer.

They are animals bred specifically for the sport, eventually most of them end up in dog food anyway

And that just makes it okay?

I'd rather they weren't bred at all.

But that's just me.

Where did I say it was OK?

What I can't see the point in is complaining about a couple of dead horses in a big race. Horses die in races all the time, not just national hunt either.

Either horse racing is ok, or its not. One race doesn't make a difference.

Human beings die playing football, one died in Italy only this week, should football be banned? How far do you take this after all people dying has to be far worse than horses dying doesn't it?

One of those horses died not because it jumped badly but because it lost its footing and fell over and broke its leg, could have happened in show jumping or someones back field. Maybe horses existence should be banned? Would most horses be alive if they weren't risen ? They serve little other purpose in this country at least.

I'm not even a fan of horse racing, in fact the whole Aintree thing for me is a massive pain in the arse at work but emotive reactions are just silly

Meh! Ban it. It's a shit race anyway. Plus, it brings out all of the clearings in the woods who have no interest in the sport throughout the year, but because it's the National they've "got to have a couple of quid on it", or worse still, go to Aintree and act like a drunken arse.

Also, take Royal Ascot - swarms of people attend with no interest in the racing; they just go to the track, stand out the back in the marquees, and drink gallons of booze without any awareness of the spectacle going on behind them.

They're almost as bad as the complete twunts you get during major international football tournaments who "Don't like the football, but like it when England are on". Don't get me started on them!

Any sport or sporting event that puts too high a risk on an animals life, or compromises it's health or well-being shouldn't happen.

I use the term 'sport' loosely when talking about horse racing. It's basically a vehicle for gambling.

Any sport or sporting event that puts too high a risk on an animals life, or compromises it's health or well-being shouldn't happen.

WHy does that only happen to animals? Should boxing be banned?

Humans are animals after all

Meh! Ban it. It's a shit race anyway. Plus, it brings out all of the clearings in the woods who have no interest in the sport throughout the year, but because it's the National they've "got to have a couple of quid on it"

I really cant see what the problem with people betting on the national and no other horse racing event is???

I always have £20 worth of bets on the national always have done, its a once a year event that I quite enjoy. I dont have a clue how to 'read' the horses I normally go by the idiots guide that you get in the paper.

I do think its a shame about the horses, thats four in two years isnt it?

Even the guy who's horse died said the horse loved jumping.

Dogs love playing fetch. No they don't speak and say "I **** love sticks" but they give plenty of signals they enjoy it.

So I guess if there is a dog who gets impailed at crufts playing fetched then I guess that should be banned too.

We need a good few million quid thrown t research into studying the horses enjoyment of the sport

There's a hell of a lot worse things to do with animal cruelty and the welfare of horses, as an example, in this world than horse racing.

Spend a day somewhere like Marrakech and see the state of horses over there.

A few deatsh in horse racing doesn't even compare.

If people are so passionate about Horse Racing being banned, why aren't they as passionate about all the other much worse cruelties suffered by them?

There's a hell of a lot worse things to do with animal cruelty and the welfare of horses, as an example, in this world than horse racing.

Spend a day somewhere like Marrakech and see the state of horses over there.

A few deatsh in horse racing doesn't even compare.

If people are so passionate about Horse Racing being banned, why aren't they as passionate about all the other much worse cruelties suffered by them?

Exactly my point, the people aiming to get it banned only seem to be around after aintree when many horses die a year.

• 3 weeks later...
The actual day out looks grotesque

Going to a race ground with 50,000 thieving scallies about

Ban it

at the g

There's very few "scallies" there, its for tourists, "Scallies" go to "Ladies (Sic) Day"

Â