Jan transfer window - rumours, speculation & suggestions

OnePablo

I don't think Defoe is the kind of player we need right now. No matter if he's good or not. I think we need a more kind of tank-forward, if you know what I mean. We already have to kinds of Defoe in the squad.

• Replies 7.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Shaun Wright Philips? Would be a nice right wing option as well as right back squad cover. Maybe MON knows his old man from the BBC punditry and can have a word (on a park bench of course with no envelopes or suitcases...)

Lukas Neill? A solid addition to the back four.

Alan Smith? On paper, a real MON kind of player that would be a nice compliment upfront.

Peter Crouch? An excellent signing to scare the beejeezus out of defences and give our wingers plenty to work with.

Wayne Bridge? Excellent but a Bridge too far? Sorry but it had to be done.

Jermain Defoe? Dunno why people on this site are so down on him. He's obviously quality but not worth an astronomical (12-15 million) price tag.

Robbie Keane? Again, a real MON kind of player.

Saviola or other Latino flair boys? Look at West Ham. These guys dont necessarily translate to the premiership.

James Milner? A good solid January signing.

Maybe we'll see some of the above in the claret and blue soon but hopefully Martin O Neill can uncover some unpolished (or polished)gems from abroad or even the lower leagues.

Neill is going to Liverpool according to reports.

Pretty certain that Bridge just signed a new 4 year deal with Chelsea so doubt he'll be moving

Crouch?? He'd cost around 12Million now...not worth that at all

Defoe/Keane...take your pick, as I doubt Spurs will sell both! To be honest, I don't think they'll sell either. Personally I'd love to see Defoe in C&B

Alan Smith - i'm not convinced. Hasn't really seemed to play since coming back from that broken leg. Is he fully fit, or has anyone got an idea of his form?

Milner & SWP - be happy with both of those, but again it just depends if Chelski & Barcodes are willing to sell. I don't think either need to, so we'd probably have to pay a premium to get them.

People seem to keep talking about Ashton as well, but I don't know why. WHam only bought him last Jan on a 5 or 6 year deal, so won't sell him just yet

That's the problem with January transfer window IMHO - sounds great and gets people talking, but not much ever really does or can happen. Best bet is to get players from Championship Clubs in the window, but i don't know who really stands out. Earnshaw anyone??

Neill is going to Liverpool according to reports.

Pretty certain that Bridge just signed a new 4 year deal with Chelsea so doubt he'll be moving

Crouch?? He'd cost around 12Million now...not worth that at all

Defoe/Keane...take your pick, as I doubt Spurs will sell both! To be honest, I don't think they'll sell either. Personally I'd love to see Defoe in C&B

Alan Smith - i'm not convinced. Hasn't really seemed to play since coming back from that broken leg. Is he fully fit, or has anyone got an idea of his form?

Milner & SWP - be happy with both of those, but again it just depends if Chelsea & Barcodes are willing to sell. I don't think either need to, so we'd probably have to pay a premium to get them.

People seem to keep talking about Ashton as well, but I don't know why. WHam only bought him last Jan on a 5 or 6 year deal, so won't sell him just yet

That's the problem with January transfer window IMHO - sounds great and gets people talking, but not much ever really does or can happen. Best bet is to get players from Championship Clubs in the window, but i don't know who really stands out. Earnshaw anyone??

Just have to ask you: Do you think we'll sign anyone ever? :? Think this post is very pessimistic. Still, you might be right. But I think it's far too pessimistic.

Upson Keane and Nugent all linked for a combined 11mil in todays papers.

Wasn't there a rumoured £50 million "warchest"...................

TBF there have been all kinds of sums mentioned in the papers, haven't there? And ASFAIC those £50m should be for the summer too, hence only using 11 from then pretty fair.

TBF there have been all kinds of sums mentioned in the papers, haven't there? And ASFAIC those £50m should be for the summer too, hence only using 11 from then pretty fair.

Does make you you wonder though.............

Does make you you wonder though.............

Yeah, I can see what you mean and partly agree with your sentiemnts both in this thread and the other "MON expects rejects"-thread. Still keeping up the hope, though.

Maybe Van Der Vaart at Hamburg might be worth a shout?

Hamburg finished 3rd last season and qualified for champs lge....this season they are really struggling and in a real relegation battle. Van Der Vaart might be more than happy to move on?