3-5-2, 5-3-2 or 4-4-2?

artanevilla

3-5-2,5-3-2,4-4-2  

44 members have voted

1. 1. 3-5-2,5-3-2,4-4-2

• 3-5-2
    • 5-3-2
    • 4-4-2

Dont u think that maybe what we are lacking away from home could be we are being out battled in the midfield area where a majority of games are won or lost, my suggestion to David OLeary would be to maybe change the system for the occasional away game against a gritty side like Chelsea, Man United Liverpool Man City Charlton Arsenal Bolton and Newcastle even Blues id suggest we pack the midfield with 3 to 5 players holding there possition, i know that we dont currently have the players to play like that but in january maybe we cud take a look in to that, maybe trying to sign a centre back centre midfielder and a striker, here are just a few suggestions, Zat Knight of Fulham supposedly a Villa fan to help Mellberg and Laursen when fit to play, with Ridgewell and Delaney possibly Barry as cover for them, sumone like Scott Parker, Steed Malbranque, Sean Davis, Ian Nolan or Michael Brown to help toughen up the midfield and up front maybe Beattie or Yakubu to add the goals. With a squad like that im sure wed be up there pushing for the top five. Thats just 3 players.

The 3,5,2 in goal Sorensen, left wing back Samuel, right wing back La Cruz or Delaney, and the 3 centre backs being between Mellberg, Knight, Laursen, Barry, Ridgewell or possibly Delaney, In centre midfield a trio of McCann, Hitzlsperger, and Parker for example with stand bys like Steven Davis, Lee Hendrie, and Berson all with a bit of grit about them, and finally up front Angel and Yakubu or Beattie with backup coming from the Moore brothers who just need more time to adapt, Vassell and Cole.

And at home we can still keep on playing the 4,4,2 with success.

The 3,5,2 in goal Sorensen, left wing back Samuel, right wing back La Cruz or Delaney, and the 3 centre backs...

Good in theory, but I don't think it works well in practise and I agreewith Richard, we can't keep changng the system.

no team in the premiership plays 3 at the back, there's got to be a good reason for it, the reason I'm guessing is that it doesn't work, probably as it leaves you exposed down the flanks, we tried it under taylor and it didn't really work and we were the last ones to use it in the premiership I think

we used to use it with a fair amount of success

only under JG, I don't think anyone has made it work since, but with more sides playing 4-5-1 and relying on wingers it's not really going to help if we're vulnerable down the flanks, every time you play 3-5-2 it's really 3-2-3-2 with the first "2" being wingbacks, so it effectively turns into 5-3-2 just with the wing backs given a bit more freedom to get forward, but not too much, i'm not a fan of 3 at the back at all really (other than on champ :D)

I picked 3-5-2 in hopes we'd pick up Damarcus Beasley.

.............Sorensen

Delaney..Melberg..Samuel

ULDC..Hendrie..Solano..McCann..Beasley

......Vassell....Angel

(if we'd pick up Donovan too, and switch him with Solano or Hendrie...we'd be in business)

I think its a good idea. We were good o watch under JG and we have better forward players now.

I'm confused about the poll though - 3-5-2 is the same as 5-3-2, its just a question of whether the wing backs happen to be defending or up the field at the time.

• 8 years later...

If players win their own personal battles it don't much matter what system you use.

"There are many tools in a tool box.... one don't do all jobs"

Each system offers its own benefits, but there is also a trade off too.

What ever system you use the opposition will try to counteract/nullify it.... so teams are for ever metamorphosing, even during a game.

Of those 3 choices I'd go 4-4-2

3-5-2/5-3-2 is dead, and has been for years. I think we got lucky a couple of times, the Liverpool game being the peak, but a decent side will exploit 3 at the back. See the Chelsea game.

All you have to do is play a lone striker, then we've basically got 3 CBs marking one guy, and they've got a man over in the most crucia area of the pitch, midfield.

Ideally though, I think a 4-2-3-1 is the way to go. Protect the back four with a proper DM (Sylla?) and another deep lying player (Westwood)

Â