London 2012 Olympic Games

maqroll

First gold for GB! :hooray: Pair of women rowers destroyed the field. Led the whole race.
I expect the Chinese to accuse them of obviously being on drugs.
Underwater engine

They did well but the Germans were far too strong. They should really have held on for the silver, yet a bronze is still great. Nice to see us winning medals today.

Still on track for three golds today.

It's a tough one, because if you truly do want to lose the game, which they obviously did, how do you motivate yourself to try and win it?

It's a strange thought to be honest and I'm not sure I've ever been in that situation.

You are missing the point.The reason they lost is because they want to win.They decided to lose this event so that they could win the next one and then go on to gold.

Nope, I think it's you that has missed the point.

My point is if they've decided to lose this event so that they can win the next one, but the rules (or the "spirit") say that they HAVE to try and win every match, how do they then motivate themselves to win a match that they clearly want to lose?

who are the others?

Wiggins in the cycling. Then Jamieson and Willis in the swimming.

Plus an outside chance for Purvis in the gymnastics. Possibly Pooley and Amitstead in the women's cycling too, although that may be a bit of a reach. Certainly medal prospects.

I'm not sure about the badminton thing.

I wonder what the difference is between trying to lose a particular game when already qualified for the next round and a swimmer easing up in order to try to get a particular lane or a runner just doing enough to qualify or getting the right time/position to get themselves in to the 'easier' semi-final?

Excellent points Snowster.

I guess all that easing up/not winning your heat is also 'not in the spirit of the games'.

It's boll*cks, IMO.

Athletes/competitors will do their utmost to maximise their chances of winning gold/going as far as they can in a competition.

That's understandable IMO, and the organisers (and the spectators) should be aware of that.

who are the others?

Wiggins in the cycling.

As good as Wiggo is, and as much as I'd love him too, IMO he doesn't go into this as favourite.

I'd have Spartacus (Cancellara) and Martin as favourites, largely due to them both missing large chunks of the TDF.

Wiggo on the other hand has not just buried himself to win the TDF, he also buried himself to try and get Cav a win in the Road race.

If he's got any gas left, he'll have a chance, but these things serve to make him more of an outside bet. Ditto the Froome dog.

Sky reporting that "Eight women's double badminton players disqualified from Olympics following allegations of throwing matches". :rolly:

It's a tough one, because if you truly do want to lose the game, which they obviously did, how do you motivate yourself to try and win it?

It's a strange thought to be honest and I'm not sure I've ever been in that situation.

You are missing the point.The reason they lost is because they want to win.They decided to lose this event so that they could win the next one and then go on to gold.

Nope, I think it's you that has missed the point.

My point is if they've decided to lose this event so that they can win the next one, but the rules (or the "spirit") say that they HAVE to try and win every match, how do they then motivate themselves to win a match that they clearly want to lose?

I did`nt know that the rules stated that you had to try and win ? that blows strategy right out of the water.

Â