Happy 70th birthday to Muhammad Ali.

The_Rev

Dunno how much he will enjoy the day considering his illness, but I think a tribute to the big man is worth its own thread. I dont think it is wrong to say that Ali was the most famous man in the world (certainly the western world) in the early 70s. A man of great charisma and skill and an exceptionally gifted athlete to go with it. Sportsman of the 20th century, the complete package.

16EgG.jpg

When you have got rhythm you gotta use it I suppose. But the whole fight is great. In this day and age the ref would have probably stopped it in the second, as it happened it ended in the third.

I've read up quite a bit about Ali, his life, career and what not.

I consider him to a be a bit of a rocket polisher, and during his career quite a cruel and vindictive man/fighter.

Goes against the grain, but that's my opinion on him.

I consider him to a be a bit of a rocket polisher, and during his career quite a cruel and vindictive man/fighter.

But they are stepping in that ring to smash 7 bells out of each other...not to have a kiss and a cuddle Jon lad.

I'd imagine 95% of it was provado, showmanship and playing up for the camera's and the crowd.

But they are stepping in that ring to smash 7 bells out of each other...not to have a kiss and a cuddle Jon lad.

I'd imagine 95% of it was provado, showmanship and playing up for the camera's and the crowd.

My opinion is not solely based upon his actions in the ring, or his actions/words in the build up to fights, of after fights.

Like I say, I've read and watched enough on the guy to form that opinion.

Disrespectful, vindictive. Lacking class and humility.

He tried to repair some of that in his latter years.

As you can see, I'm not a fan. Give me a Smokin Joe type any day of the week.

My opinion is not solely based upon his actions in the ring, or his actions/words in the build up to fights, of after fights.

Like I say, I've read and watched enough on the guy to form that opinion.

Disrespectful, vindictive. Lacking class and humility.

He tried to repair some of that in his latter years.

As you can see, I'm not a fan. Give me a Smokin Joe type any day of the week.

Thats fair enough mate.

My Dad - who was a huge boxing fan - detested Ali (and refused to refer to him as anything other than Cassius Clay). Probably because Dad was the sort of bloke who "didn't like bigheads and showoffs", and preferred his sportsmen to be quiet and self-effacing. He felt the same way about Brian Clough (couldn't stand him) - although paradoxically he loved George Best. Go figure.

Me, I don't like boxing, so I'm totally indifferent to the Ali legend. Beating the **** out of each other, what a **** stupid thing to be famous for.

Why not refer to him as Muhammad Ali? It is his right to change his name. I don't get that.
Sure. You'd have to ask my Dad, and he's been dead for years. :lol:

But FWIW, I think it's to do with Clay/Ali becoming a Muslim (not a religion my Catholic father had much time for in the first place) and refusing to join the military as a conscientious objector.

I think Dad was of the opinion that your name was the one your parents gave you, and that you owed a duty of obedience to both them and your country.

Different generation, different attitude to conventions and authority.

Actually, as I remember it, Dad didn't like him even before the name change/draft dodging stuff, but that just made things worse. I can remember him rooting for Sonny Liston, wanting him to shut up Clay's loud mouth.

Boxers who went around spouting poems about how beautiful they were wasn't his sort of thing at all - he expected them to look serious, shut up, and fight.

Bear in mind I'm talking about somebody who was born in 1903...

Â