Zinedine Zidane

dont_do_it_doug.

Odd double post from me there! And I agree with the point about Zidane not hurting teams as much as other players did, I alluded to it in my first post in the thread but I just loved watching Zidane. Like I said, it's art vs science, and I do like an artist.

Zidane had a vicious streak, I'm not sure how that can be denied. A temper to match his artistry, his magnificence.

The article above is possibly one of the biggest piles of shite I've ever read in my life. To say Zidane could never win a game on his own, could never stamp his authority over a match is akin to saying Xavi Hernandez is nothing more than a water carrier. Ronaldo nothing more than a goalscorer. Take the latter for example, how many goals would he have scored at the Villa during the same period? Loads I would imagine. How many would Zidane have layed on a plate for Marcus Allback? **** tones, I'm sure of it. I mean he would have missed the lot I'm sure, but that's besides the point.

It belies the authors journalistic credibility. Rivaldo was an immense player, sorely underrated. But give me a team of Zidanes every day of the week. The best word I've heard to describe him is "balletic", even with that loping gait and the centrally receding hairline the man was a genius. Un-comparable, it's what makes him so special.

Zidane had a vicious streak, I'm not sure how that can be denied. A temper to match his artistry, his magnificence.

The article above is possibly one of the biggest piles of shite I've ever read in my life. To say Zidane could never win a game on his own, could never stamp his authority over a match is akin to saying Xavi Hernandez is nothing more than a water carrier. Ronaldo nothing more than a goalscorer. Take the latter for example, how many goals would he have scored at the Villa during the same period? Loads I would imagine. How many would Zidane have layed on a plate for Marcus Allback? **** tones, I'm sure of it. I mean he would have missed the lot I'm sure, but that's besides the point.

It belies the authors journalistic credibility. Rivaldo was an immense player, sorely underrated. But give me a team of Zidanes every day of the week. The best word I've heard to describe him is "balletic", even with that loping gait and the centrally receding hairline the man was a genius. Un-comparable, it's what makes him so special.

I'm not sure that he'd miss. Don't get me wrong, Allbäck was never good enough for us or the PL, but he actually was a rather good finisher. When he, Henrik Larsson and Ibrahimovic were all in the swedish national team Allbäck was rated as the best and most natural finisher of the three. For the rest I fully agree and that was just nit picking.

And I agree with Rev. I can't remember anyone who could control a pass like Zidane could. I mean, you could shoot the ball at him and he'd still control it perfectly. For me he's the best player since Maradona.

I think he was absolutely class.

But someone said he was underrated?

Not sure you can say that. I think most people acknowledge just how good he was and rate him as one of the best of his generation, along with the likes of Ronaldo, Figo, Moore etc.

I think only a few, for example Zatman, "underrate" him.

its not that i dont rate him is just i dont see how people think he is among the best ever. His temparament was disgraceful and i just feel was better players in his era. In same time period i would say Rivaldo was a better player

Jesus christ, you must be blind or something. He was a **** wizard, doing stuff no other midfielders could do again. Always doing well in the important matches, playing for Juventus and Real Madrid at their peaks being their most important player... But I guess, he was average... it's just that all his coaches and pundits at the time were wrong. And one article in a newspaper proves very little, only that there is one more idiot on this planet with the same view as you. Like Anders Behring Breivik chatting online to a guy about hating muslims (if you came across the Norwegian lunatic this summer).

He was a **** wizard, doing stuff no other midfielders could do again

Always doing well in the important matches, playing for Juventus and Real Madrid at their peaks being their most important player

he wasnt. he was a luxury player in both sides

an example what he did that no other midfielder did

Like Anders Behring Breivik chatting online to a guy about hating muslims (if you came across the Norwegian lunatic this summer).

what was point of brigning him into conversation its irrelevant unless it somehow makes a point

I call troll.

We will not feed you troll.

Begone.

so honest opinions is trolling

Clearly I was trying to be jovial in the face of such an absurd opinion. I can accept somebody thinking he was overrated. I'll argue with them till I'm blue in the face, but at least it's an arguable stance.

You've waltzed in to SGC territory here. "Just a thug", "Luxury player". I mean should you truly hold that opinion you're either too young to know any better or trolling. From 1998-2002 he was the best player in the world and he was pretty **** decent either side of that. You're so far from that opinion that I can't take it seriously, it's like somebody trying to argue that Emile Heskey is world class.

For what it's worth, your last post, that's EXACTLY what a troll would say :winkold:

Not quite 'legends' but Zola/Del Piero/Rui Costa in my opinion should all be put on a higher pedestal than Rivaldo or Zidane, for me, you cannot be called a 'great' or a 'legend' if you have cheated on such a grand scale or headbutted an opponent in a world cup final, regardless of ability. As role models go, the three mentioned above are streets ahead.

Cheating/Violence eally shouldnt affect an opinion of a talented footballer in terms of raw ability and skill but it to me it does and for me, blocks that entry into the echelon of 'legend'.

would always have Nedved ahead of Zidane as he even replaced him at Juventus more successfully and was always more consistent over long period. In 02/03 season he was unplayable and probably best season ive seen from a playmaker and was so unlucky to miss out on final of Champions League

Nedved was a fantastic footballer. To say he was better for Juve than Zidane is merely your opinion, one that cannot be substantiated and utterly irrelevant to the thread frankly.

Also, if you want to see an example of Zidane taking a game by the scruff of the neck check out France vs Brazil at WC 2006. Bare in mind the man is 34 at that point too.

Â