The new leader of the Labour Party

Richard

well the metro, had a poll today and 93% think Myleene would be a better PM than Ed

I think that says much more about the electorate than 'Ed'.
Ordinarily yes but in this instance I think the electorate have spoken :)

well the metro, had a poll today and 93% think Myleene would be a better PM than Ed

The Metro... you pay for what you get with that rag.
Ed had soared to 17 % I suspect Ajax has been multi voting :)
Don't you work in the financial industry Tony? ;)
You're not very good at this are you :P

No I don't

I thought you worked for Credit Suisse?
Not since 2002

Fair enough, just as well I suppose ;)

I was in IT for the record

No way anyone would let someone with my numeracy skills anywhere near money ... Other than a job in the chancellery of course

• Like 1

It would be good if "the rich" left the country. You need to appreciate that they don't create wealth, they suck it up from others; we don't need them to survive, we would do far better without them. Don't believe the self-serving propaganda from the crappy media which, coincidentally, they own, which tells us how great they are. 

With all due respect peter thats abit of a ignorant view. generalising all rich  by saying they suck it from others is like we saying all poor people didnt work hard enough or are too lazy hence why they are not rich. It simply is not true. i know various wealthy people who are wealthy and did it all themselves.

I dont understand how you can honestly suggest that we would be better without them. if they all went then who do the government tax? the poor who have no money or the middle class who will then be as poor as the people at the bottom. Your logic makes no sense. You would have a country that wont have any money to fund NHS, fix roads or run the country. obviously it isnt just the rich that pay in but their money helps the economy right or wrong thats the way it is

• Like 1

Regarding the London tax , if you can defer it until you die ( or sell up) , how is that going to save the NHS in the short term ...

Serious point, Tony. Neither money, nor government spending power, comes from collecting taxes.

Once you grasp that, other things become clear.

If you don't get it, then other things about wealth, governments, and how we share resources, will become quite obscure, as intended.

i know various wealthy people who are wealthy and did it all themselves.

No one ever, ever, ever, did things 'all themselves'.

I dont understand how you can honestly suggest that we would be better without them. if they all went then who do the government tax? ...

That's a very simplistic way of looking at taxing, company ownership, 'wealth creation' (for what that is worth), & so on.

Miliband given a roasting on TV today it seems  ... Paxman , nope  ... the political heavyweight that is Myleene Klass :)

"Is that your only option? You may as well just tax me on this glass of water. You can't just point at things and tax them."  .... quality

It was an ignorant, self-interested rant.

£2m buys you a garage? You should get out more, Myleene, out of Knightsbridge I mean.

What I found a bit sad was Miliband appearing to calculate whether to slap down her pompous, trite pile of arsewipe, or if her apparent popularity dictated that a more discreet response was better.

Perhaps he had a flashback to the time he avoided inheritance tax on his dad's house by means of a deed of variation, and was dumbstruck by the hypocrisy of it all.

• Like 4

Regarding the London tax , if you can defer it until you die ( or sell up) , how is that going to save the NHS in the short term ...

Serious point, Tony. Neither money, nor government spending power, comes from collecting taxes.

Once you grasp that, other things become clear.

If you don't get it, then other things about wealth, governments, and how we share resources, will become quite obscure, as intended.

Great news, so we can just stop all this talk about tax avoidance, as it wouldn't seem to matter in that case.

• Like 3

I dont understand how you can honestly suggest that we would be better without them. if they all went then who do the government tax? ...

That's a very simplistic way of looking at taxing, company ownership, 'wealth creation' (for what that is worth), & so on.

my brother did. in 1973 he was working for the MEB  he resigned and took out a loan to hire an Articulated Lorry and Driver, covered the costs himself and brought back about a million candles and then sold them to the co-op woollies and the rest. 

Mom went  ballistic , Dad said well done son, He bought a house, a new car and never really had to work again. But he did.

That's not true ... Unless the lingerie section of the Freemans catalogue counts

my brother did. in 1973 he was working for the MEB he resigned and took out a loan to hire an Articulated Lorry and Driver, covered the costs himself and brought back about a million candles and then sold them to the co-op woollies and the rest.

Mom went ballistic , Dad said well done son, He bought a house, a new car and never really had to work again. But he did.

Unless he made the candles with his ear wax then I'm with snowy on this one :P

• Like 1

my brother did. in 1973 he was working for the MEB  he resigned and took out a loan to hire an Articulated Lorry and Driver, covered the costs himself and brought back about a million candles and then sold them to the co-op woollies and the rest. 

Mom went  ballistic , Dad said well done son, He bought a house, a new car and never really had to work again. But he did.

So, someone loaned him some money.

You didn't flesh this out but: he went abroad and returned (he used public roads - tarmac, lighting, &c.; a ferry; foreign roads) and sold the goods that he had used a loan from someone else to buy. He made a profit.

Excellent.

If you think that he did this 'all himself' then you're **** crackers.

I thought roads were taxed so he had to pay for them including lighting and tarmac,and therefore are free to all users.  He had to pay for his ferry, his driver, the petrol and taxes on that, his own transport costs to make deals.

I'm struggling to think how you can't think he did it all on his own.

So, someone loaned him some money.

You didn't flesh this out but: he went abroad and returned (he used public roads - tarmac, lighting, &c.; a ferry; foreign roads) and sold the goods that he had used a loan from someone else to buy. He made a profit.

Excellent.

If you think that he did this 'all himself' then you're **** crackers.

That's getting more than a little bit pedantic. Clearly the person concerned isn't the sole inhabitant of a distant android, or the only survivor of the zombie apocalypse.

Don't you keep banging on about how food banks are for the needy because the Tory Government made cuts. 

Are you suggesting the poor can afford newspapers but not food? Unless of course you don't think the poor  should have access to free newspapers 

Don't you keep banging on about how food banks are for the needy because the Tory Government made cuts. 

Are you suggesting the poor can afford newspapers but not food? Unless of course you don't think the poor  should have access to free newspapers 

Great analysis! :rolleyes:

Yes let all the rich leave the country so then who do we tax, the poor? oh........

Thats exactly what has been happening. The Tories have unshockingly made the rich richer and the poor poorer
Isn't it traditional to show examples when making these sorts of claims ?

I'm sure you are right but I'd like to see the data and how it's reached

The mirror (of course ) have this headline on their website but the small print after the headline says "before taxes and benefits" suggesting that after tax is deducted and benefits added that the answer might be different ?

It would also be interesting to know if this phenomenon is new I.e how was it under previous governments and is it unique to the UK and the tories or is in fact a global trend

Â