McLeish - Yes / No / Unsure

Dodgyknees

McLeish - Yes, No or Unsure  

438 members have voted

1. 1. McLeish - Yes, No or Unsure

• Yes - He can take us forward
    • No - We need someone better
    • Unsure - Still need more time

It's just foolhardy to consider removing Alex McLeish after only 14 games played. To again plunge the club into the sort of to-ing and fro-ing that ensued after Houllier had to step down would be very destabilising, I think.
So what do you see that makes you think it wouldn't be foolish to allow him to continue?
So McLeish goes now, and then what? Sky Sports News laps it up because it means speculation and rumour-mongering - their stock in trade. The tabloids get to highlight the fickle nature of Villa fans. Ancelotti or Hiddink ain't gonna come riding in to town, and I can't see a Mark Hughes or Steve McLaren Villa side doing any better, or playing more attractive football than McLeish's side in the short term. And they'd have to get it right in the short term because...well, because the guy who was there before them was only given 14-odd games to get it right!

• Replies 735
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's just foolhardy to consider removing Alex McLeish after only 14 games played. To again plunge the club into the sort of to-ing and fro-ing that ensued after Houllier had to step down would be very destabilising, I think.
So what do you see that makes you think it wouldn't be foolish to allow him to continue?
So McLeish goes now, and then what? Sky Sports News laps it up because it means speculation and rumour-mongering - their stock in trade. The tabloids get to highlight the fickle nature of Villa fans. Ancelotti or Hiddink ain't gonna come riding in to town, and I can't see a Mark Hughes or Steve McLaren Villa side doing any better, or playing more attractive football than McLeish's side in the short term. And they'd have to get it right in the short term because...well, because the guy who was there before them was only given 14-odd games to get it right!

I don't give 2 fecks what the Murdoch media say or don't say. I only care about my fgootball club and at the moment it is going down quicker than a prozzie at a stag do :)

The problem is that this is it with McCleish. This style of 'football' is his stock and trade, it is how his teams play. I am sure that if there was hope that over time we would improve in terms of playing style that he would have greater support. As it is all evidence says he will have us playing ultra negative 'football' until the day he leaves the club.

And in order to be fickle we would have to have wanted McCleish in the first place.

And in order to be fickle we would have to have wanted McCleish in the first place.
I was just thinking it could be framed by the press that way if McLeish was seen to be ousted by 'fan power' so soon after the club apparently did a U-turn under the same sort of pressure in the summer when it emerged that talks with McLaren were in the offing.

http://www.espn.co.uk/espn/sport/video_audio/124720.html?CMP=OTC-RSS;genre=1;sport=3

No doubt this link has been posted elsewhere but having just got around to watching Keegan and Barnes talk that way about my team really does depress me. We have played poorly in the past but I can't recall a time when we were so consistently poor and pundits, let's face it, were stating facts that make us look like a joke.

McLeish out now.

and I can't see a Mark Hughes or Steve McLaren Villa side doing any better, or playing more attractive football than McLeish's side in the short term.

I believe if Mark Hughes had been in charge we would have won several o the games we drew, and drew some of the games we lost. I think also he would have signed better players than McLeish.

Actually, I'm starting to dislike McLeish as a person simply because of all the lies.
What lies do you think McLeish has told?
He lied about what kind of football we would play, he lied about Downing, he lied about the defence and he lies in almost every post match interview. I accept everyone has their own take on things but he goes beyond that.

Actually, I'm starting to dislike McLeish as a person simply because of all the lies.
He lied about what kind of football we would play, he lied about Downing, he lied about the defence and he lies in almost every post match interview. I accept everyone has their own take on things but he goes beyond that.

This.

He is totally full of shit

Think it was likely that McLeish was lied to or given false reassurances in regards to Downing
Given how he has proved himself to be quite a prolific liar since then I think it was something McLeish decided to say on his own. Why would the board lie to McLeish/ask him to give false reassurances when they knew he would be sold a couple of weeks down the line anyway?

Think it was likely that McLeish was lied to or given false reassurances in regards to Downing
Given how he has proved himself to be quite a prolific liar since then I think it was something McLeish decided to say on his own. Why would the board lie to McLeish/ask him to give false reassurances when they knew he would be sold a couple of weeks down the line anyway?

I think its more likely he was told Downing wasn't for sale unless a substantial offer was made. £20 million for Downing is good money - he made a naive comment prematurely about "not going anywhere" .

The board made him look a prat .

After all the club told us McLeish is a good manager.

He isn't.

We were told he would be fully backed in the summer.

He wasn't.

His newest bullshit quote on the official website:

"It is disappointing to lose Shay in such circumstances but, unfortunately, these things happen in football," said Villa manager Alex McLeish.

"We have to meet these challenges and we will."

Yeah, because you've totally met the challenges so far. Dumbass.

I think its more likely he was told Downing wasn't for sale unless a substantial offer was made. £20 million for Downing is good money - he made a naive comment prematurely about "not going anywhere" .

He isn't.

He wasn't.

I agree with you, but McLeish has done himself no favours. I am sick to death of us going out with such a negative mentality, getting played off the park and then hearing him talk about how we were good/had our chances when the stats show the exact opposite. To me that is lying. Even if he isn't lying and truly believes what he's saying, it still shows that he is totally and utterly out of his depth.

That Steve Kean bullshit man video (

) is just as relevant to McLeish if not more so.

He isn't.

He wasn't.

I agree with you, but McLeish has done himself no favours. I am sick to death of us going out with such a negative mentality, getting played off the park and then hearing him talk about how we were good/had our chances when the stats show the exact opposite. To me that is lying. Even if he isn't lying and truly believes what he's saying, it still shows that he is totally and utterly out of his depth.

That Steve Kean bullshit man video (

) is just as relevant to McLeish if not more so.

:lol: at that vid.

Agree could easily do a McLeish one from postmatch interviews.

No.

It would be churlish of me to sit here and say I gave him much of a chance. He started from a negative position for a myriad of different reasons and I was happy to give him the opportunity to claw his way out of it. He has since monumentally failed to do this. I've not seen a more abject and forlorn Villa side in my 19 years supporting the club and this is such a long way removed from the worst squad in that time. It's a truly remarkable achievement.

Of course his past has a lot to do with my initial feeling. I remember laughing my bollocks off as the shit capitulated at white hart lane. No passion, no fight, devoid of ideas and nous. Terrible, terrible side who if not for sheer luck would have been relegated weeks earlier. They even had a stroke of it in that game but it seems to be a marker of McLeish teams that they aren't willing to capitalise nor do they ever look like it. If he had done a decent job for them we would all have celebrated stealing him. The fact that he had been much worse than many of us imagined, a laughing stock, only heightened my instant dislike.

He has carried all of that over with him. Do not be fooled, he could take us down playing this way. He is a manager found wanting at the top level. His brand of anti-football is driving fans away in their droves at a time when we need a 12th man. There is only one option for me, 14 games or not because I've seen absolutely nothing to suggest he is good enough to develop this young and somewhat talented squad. The other option is to throw a load of money at the problem, money we clearly don't have.

Somebody needs to grow a pair.

Â