Dutch expected to ban Halal and Kosher slaughter practise

Chindie

Next month the Dutch parliament is expected to approve a ban on halal and kosher methods of slaughtering animals for food.

Those who proposed the ban say it is simply an issue of animal welfare, but it received strong support from the right-wing Freedom Party.

Many see it as a violation of their religious freedom, and among the Jewish community it is a worrying echo of a similar ban brought in by Hitler.

The Beeb

...hmm. I'm not really a fan of that method of slaughter so I'm not against getting rid of it (it ultimately doesn't make much of a difference to the product either), but thats asking for trouble.

is this the same party being idiots cracking down on drugs again?

backward arseholes.

depends on whether the animal feels anything.

don't they do that practise as they believe it's quick and harmless? or not?

I thought we use bolt guns on larger animals brains now which completely owns them instantly

is this the same party being idiots cracking down on drugs again?

backward arseholes.

depends on whether the animal feels anything.

don't they do that practise as they believe it's quick and harmless? or not?

I thought we use bolt guns on larger animals brains now which completely owns them instantly

Yeh the bolt thing is instant and painless (supposedly)

Halal and/or kosher (correct me if I'm wrong someone) involves hanging the animal upside down and slitting their throat so the blood drains out.

Unpleasant and I would imagine certainly not instant

Ḏabīḥah (ذَبِيْحَة) is the prescribed method of slaughtering all animals excluding fish and most sea-life per Islamic law. This method of slaughtering animals consists of using a well sharpened knife to make a swift, deep incision that cuts the front of the throat, the carotid artery, wind pipe and jugular veins but leaves the spinal cord intact.[2] The head of an animal that is slaughtered using halal methods is aligned with the Qiblah.

doesn't sound as though it is.

Bolt to the head wins I think.

This comes under the same category as foxhunting for me. I have an opinion about it, which has more to do with my views on religion and politics than any matters of animal cruelty.

But ultimately, it doesn't really bother me that much either way.

This comes under the same category as foxhunting for me. I have an opinion about it, which has more to do with my views on religion and politics than any matters of animal cruelty.

Just out of curiosity, why doesnt it bother you that animals are being slaughtered in a horrible way? Do you think it's acceptable?

The bolt to the head doesn't kill the animal, it stuns it, knocks it out. The animal is slaughtered by blood draining, usually the throat is cut and hung.

Kosher and Halal do pretty much the same thing but the animal is aware of it's demise. Then theres some mumbo jumbo stuff, but ultimately the only difference really is that we knock the animal out first.

Pigs are usually electro stunned, same with fowl.

on the subject of controlling foxes, the banning of foxhunting hasn't done much to make it more humane.

I know plenty of farmers who have to now shoot them, and quite a few don't end in head shots put it that way.

Just out of curiosity, why doesnt it bother you that animals are being slaughtered in a horrible way? Do you think it's acceptable?

I don't particularly like it, but animal welfare is not my highest priority.

The bolt to the head doesn't kill the animal, it stuns it, knocks it out. The animal is slaughtered by blood draining, usually the throat is cut and hung.

Kosher and Halal do pretty much the same thing but the animal is aware of it's demise. Then theres some mumbo jumbo stuff, but ultimately the only difference really is that we knock the animal out first.

Pigs are usually electro stunned, same with fowl.

Mechanical (gunshot)

This method is approved for cattle, calves, sheep, swine, goats, horses, mules, and other equines. The gun is used to render the animal immediately unconscious (and presumably dead) before being bled.

do we not do that then?

like a hole punch to the head?

I guess maybe the bolt can't guarantee death. Just like you could get shot in the head and survive.

So it "stuns" them.

But my guess would be a bolt to the head would kill on a lot of occasions

You can't use a bullet to slaughter domesticated animals in an abbatoir for public consumption IIRC in this country.

Captive bolt gun fires a small rod into the skull which completely knocks the animal out, probably does some brain damage as well to be honest, but doesn't kill it. The kill comes from bleeding out from a cut, they usually cut the main atery in the throat, smaller animals iirc get the aorta cut in the chest via the neck IIRC.

It's not a guaranteed knock out either, there are plenty occasions when another bolt or two are needed (which then takes you back into the realms of cruelty).

Not that that'll stop me from enjoying my lovely hunk of steak at the end of the day, nosiree.

Â