Dutch expected to ban Halal and Kosher slaughter practise

Chindie

whats annoys me about Halal meat is how companies are selling it to you without telling you first. There was a large about of commercial pubs and supermarkets exposed for selling halal meat without telling the consumer.

So have you always asked about where your meat comes from?

Where possible yes, when I go to a restaurant or fast food place i ask if the meat is halal, when i visit my butchers i ask there too.

I dont knowingly eat halal/kosher meat for religious reasons, some people dont eat it for moral and ethic reasons, so for the people who do not wish to eat it should be told.

Classic example is the balti pie at VP, all the pukka pies bar one contain "haraam" meat. Only the Balti pie contains Halal meat but this is not advertised

What's the religious reason? Excuse my ignorance.

whats annoys me about Halal meat is how companies are selling it to you without telling you first. There was a large about of commercial pubs and supermarkets exposed for selling halal meat without telling the consumer.

So have you always asked about where your meat comes from?

Where possible yes, when I go to a restaurant or fast food place i ask if the meat is halal, when i visit my butchers i ask there too.

I dont knowingly eat halal/kosher meat for religious reasons, some people dont eat it for moral and ethic reasons, so for the people who do not wish to eat it should be told.

Classic example is the balti pie at VP, all the pukka pies bar one contain "haraam" meat. Only the Balti pie contains Halal meat but this is not advertised

There wouldn't be any Sikh-Muslim rivalry going on here, would there? :winkold:

There is no "rivalry" in religion :?

It is against Sikh Rehat or "code of conduct" to consume a ritualistic meat. Sikhs believe in Chatka/Jhatka meat which is to kill the animal with one blow.

I know villa_shere from our uni days so there is no rivalry between us. I am just interested that's all. Interested to know if every time he was pissed up after a night out did he ask mario's (or any other local takeaway) if the meat was halal. :D

:shock: :crylaugh:

History (not least Indian history) says otherwise.

"Culture" then, if you insist.

I know villa_shere from our uni days so there is no rivalry between us. I am just interested that's all. Interested to know if every time he was pissed up after a night out did he ask mario's (or any other local takeaway) if the meat was halal. :D

I did, Marios, Rainbows, Mama Janes, "USA" all were asked sober and non-sober :P

It is against Sikh Rehat or "code of conduct" to consume a ritualistic meat. Sikhs believe in Chatka/Jhatka meat which is to kill the animal with one blow.

You have to suck it's cock? Jaysus.

I wasn't going to comment on this topic as it's largely irrelevant to me but I've succumbed. As I see it, the idea is to try to use an animal welfare issue as a stick to beat certain religions with, which whilst my atheist stance welcomes the idea of sticking it to the religions, I'd rather we did it equally, whilst treating them all fairly.

Anyone ever been to a slaughter house? It's not a pretty sight, no one kills animals for food in a "humane" way, they after all aren't humans but your bog standard traditional British / European way of killing animals is pretty brutal too. These animals were bred to die so we could eat them, a little bit of suffering really was to be expected at the end of the cycle, yes we can try and make sure they have a decent life while they go about their business of eating & growing but when it comes down to the final moments, whats the difference in the way they die? Not a lot really, a couple of minutes of pain and they'll be dead, it's what we bred them for in the first place. They owe their very existence to these final moments and what happens between then and they are delivered to our plates.

I'm no vegetarian but I can understand why they would be upset, it's logical to their stance and in some respects I admire them for sticking to their principals but for other carnivores to complain that "our method of killing" is better than "your method of killing" is all a bit juvenile really, let's be honest here, this is a dig at particular religions not the slaughtering methods, it's just a part of the far right wing agenda to be constantly be having a pop at certain non-Christian religions but because it involves animals, that a large proportion of the population get all mushy over, then people get sucked in to the agenda and as far as the far right are concerned thats just a little bit more hatred they've garnered and along the way just a little bit more support.

The animals will die, it's why they exist but lets not start hating people because their religion kills animals in a certain way, every way is barbaric, either live with that fact or stop eating meat. Me? I like meat but I won't hate people for they way they prepare it, it would be hypocritical.

I'm no vegetarian but I can understand why they would be upset, it's logical to their stance and in some respects I admire them for sticking to their principals but for other carnivores to complain that "our method of killing" is better than "your method of killing" is all a bit juvenile really, let's be honest here, this is a dig at particular religions not the slaughtering methods, it's just a part of the far right wing agenda to be constantly be having a pop at certain non-Christian religions but because it involves animals, that a large proportion of the population get all mushy over, then people get sucked in to the agenda and as far as the far right are concerned thats just a little bit more hatred they've garnered and along the way just a little bit more support.

The animals will die, it's why they exist but lets not start hating people because their religion kills animals in a certain way, every way is barbaric, either live with that fact or stop eating meat. Me? I like meat but I won't hate people for they way they prepare it, it would be hypocritical.

Very well put. Gold star for you.

I wasn't going to comment on this topic as it's largely irrelevant to me but I've succumbed. As I see it, the idea is to try to use an animal welfare issue as a stick to beat certain religions with, which whilst my atheist stance welcomes the idea of sticking it to the religions, I'd rather we did it equally, whilst treating them all fairly.

Anyone ever been to a slaughter house? It's not a pretty sight, no one kills animals for food in a "humane" way, they after all aren't humans but your bog standard traditional British / European way of killing animals is pretty brutal too. These animals were bred to die so we could eat them, a little bit of suffering really was to be expected at the end of the cycle, yes we can try and make sure they have a decent life while they go about their business of eating & growing but when it comes down to the final moments, whats the difference in the way they die? Not a lot really, a couple of minutes of pain and they'll be dead, it's what we bred them for in the first place. They owe their very existence to these final moments and what happens between then and they are delivered to our plates.

Absolutely top post !

bickster wrote:

Indeed can't agree more with this post. I don't eat a huge amount of meat, but I'm no vegetarian... I'm all for animal welfare and killing animals as humanely as possible but this is just being used as part of an anti Muslim agenda.

On a side issue about food production....I have no idea whether the reports have any foundation or not but I was reading last night that pro life campaigners in US are up in arms with claims that companies like Pepsi are using a product made from human foetuses as artificial flavourings in common food products. I hope to goodness this is just fundamentalist's making this all up, because if it's true it's truly shocking. I'm minded of Soylent Green!

Nope, Bickster in rare moment of talking utter bollocks shocker. Every living thing dies in the end, but that's no excuse to make life as shitty as possible up to then. The RSPCA have conducted research that proves that the halal method causes far more suffering than other methods, and should be banned. I don't believe it's a stick to beat Muslims with, it's just a stupid, cruel practise that should be banned immediately. There are far more reasons to ban it than to keep it. If the animal ends up dead, why wouldn't you choose the least cruel method? It makes no difference whatsoever to the end result on your plate.

I was reading last night that pro life campaigners in US are up in arms with claims that companies like Pepsi are using a product made from human foetuses as artificial flavourings in common food products. I hope to goodness this is just fundamentalist's making this all up

Fundamentalists making things up? Surely not.

I think Bickster's post makes a lot of sense, and he is probably right about the motives behind the move...

BUT

I still think we have a duty of care for these animals. If we're going to exploit them for our own desires, as we do, then I will always be fully behind any legislation that makes their (already meaningless) lives a little more bearable.

I'd back this move in the same way that I'd back any move to prevent cruelty to animals, be that through introducing minimum standards for their housing, or anything else of a similar nature.

Take the religion out of the debate and it's little different to saying that you can't keep a chicken in a 50cm wide pen. A positive move as far as I'm concerned.

Â