Dutch expected to ban Halal and Kosher slaughter practise

Chindie

I've heard halal is cheaper which might explain why it ends up on unsuspecting people's plates. There's a place in Highgate which would test even the staunchest carnivore's stomach.

So is it just a ban on dutch farmers killing that way or is it a ban on imports altogether?

I'm pretty sure they would struggle to ban imports under the EUs free trade laws from other EU countries who are killing kosher style so I doubt it will make much difference to Jews or Muslims who still want to eat that way.

It's a ban on that form of slaughter inside Dutch borders, import is unaffected.

Bit of a waste of time, it needs to be banned from import also.

You can't educate people that way, it's a nice try but half hearted.

Would you not agree that this would basically prevent Islamic and Jewish people from living in the Netherlands though?

It's a ban on that form of slaughter inside Dutch borders, import is unaffected.

Bit of a waste of time, it needs to be banned from import also.

You can't educate people that way, it's a nice try but half hearted.

Would you not agree that this would basically prevent Islamic and Jewish people from living in the Netherlands though?

They could just stop believing in such barbaric practises?

I wonder how many of you who consider it a barbaric practise are thinking the same when you are sitting down at the local curry house ordering your chicken rogan josh? If the animal's being killed then why are we suddenly deciding it should be killed one way or another? If you think killing all animals is wrong then I can understand your point. But if the argument is simply,'please kill it like this because it makes me feel better', then that is just hypocritical of any meat eater.

I was going to make a similar point PIW, who are we to stipulate what constitutes cruelty when it comes to animal slaughter?

But then I realised the arguement was more of a meat eater / vegetarian one, and i've no problem eating meat. But, if we're going to farm these animals like we do, taking them out of their natural habitat, then we have a duty of care to make things as easy for the animal as we should do. Conversely, If I was living in the wild like some kind of small heath fan, then I wouldnt be against butchering a wild animal to death with a wooden spoon if it meant I could eat well.

I wonder how many of you who consider it a barbaric practise are thinking the same when you are sitting down at the local curry house ordering your chicken rogan josh? If the animal's being killed then why are we suddenly deciding it should be killed one way or another? If you think killing all animals is wrong then I can understand your point. But if the argument is simply,'please kill it like this because it makes me feel better', then that is just hypocritical of any meat eater.

I have a sneaking suspicion for a lot of people (including the Dutch far right party) the opposition to halal is because it is a religious practice and the animal welfare angle is a red herring to cover their bigotry.

Â